Thread: Moisture tester

twitter&bisted

Moisture tester

More years ago than I care to remember we had a grain moisture tester which consisted of several approx 300mm long probes which connected by flex to a meter. On the meter was a handle you had to turn to produce a current to measure the moisture in the grain.
    We often just pushed the prongs into a heap of grain but there was also a bakerlite tube which could be filled with a sample to be tested.
    Does anyone know who made them and where I might find one please?

whoha

Re: Moisture tester

Hi, sorry for the delay, i only just got registered, i think we got one of those, with a Gascoigne grain dryer going on for 35 years ago, neither were new. The only details on the leather case or the generator are SCOTMEC-OXLEY Instantaneous Moisture Meter, SCOTMEC Works,Ayr,Scotland. Hope this helps. Stephen.

Gadget

Thanks for that Stephen, what you said about the Gasgoine drier would tie in because we had one years ago aswell.
    Do you want to part with it?
    Geoff

whoha

Hi Gadget, thanks for the offer but we parted with the Gascoigne many years ago, she had originally run on three phase and as we didnt have 3 phase we removed the 10hp motor and added some belts and pulleys and a pto then ran her from a 4 cyl D Brown 880 and single phase. Went really really well, except the dried grain through put was very hard to control. Didnt know what trouble was until we got a 5 1/2 ton diesel L#ly. Mind we did get a grant as it was bolted down, even so sure regretted parting with the Gascoigne, anyway thanks again for the offer. Stephen.

Gadget

A wheeze by the old hands working on the farm was to pass the testing bit prongs first to some unsuspecting person and then when they had hold of it, turn the generator handle like mad. Happy days!