Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schmallenberg virus

Fergieman

Schmallenberg virus

From NFU email.

You may have seen or heard today that Schmallenberg virus has been confirmed in the UK. There has been 4 cases of the Schmallenberg virus detected in Eastern England (Norfolk, Suffolk and East Sussex) in aborted lambs. The cases being detected now are likely to be a result of infection in summer/autumn last year and the disease is likely to be transmitted by insects such as midges that were blown across the Channel. The UK is presently outside the midge season, reducing likelihood of disease transmission.

Clinical signs of disease are:

Adult cattle: Fever with reduction in milk yield (of up to 50% lasting up to a week in individual animals), with in some cases diarrhoea that may be severe. These signs may spread through the herd affecting between 20-70% of animal over a 3-4 week period, and may lead to a drop in herd milk production of about 10%.

Congenital defects: These have been seen in close to term and newborn lambs, calves and goat kids. They include joint and limb contractures and twisting, twisted neck, and animals are usually born dead or die soon after birth. Other signs that may not be obvious externally such as hydranencephaly (parts of the brain may be replaced by fluid- filled sacs), could lead to signs of incoordination, paralysis and other nervous signs, recumbency and dullness.

The disease is not notifiable and so we encourage anybody with suspect animals to contact their vet and the their local ANVLA office.

Marches Farmer

Re: Schmallenberg virus

And there I was not worrying about anything for a change ....!

SFTTEXELS

probably another money spinner like blue tongue!!

Greysides

A little more info:

Statement on the Schmallenberg Virus Situation Issued by the Standing Committee on the Food Chain and Animal Health (SCoFCAH) - 11 January 2012

The information presented by Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium at the meeting of 11 January 2012 shows that a newly detected virus has circulated in the second semester 2011 amongst livestock ruminants causing non-specific clinical signs in cattle and congenital malformations, mainly in sheep and more seldom in cattle and goats.

The Member States and the Commission acknowledge the efforts made by these three Member States to provide the best possible scientific information on the risks posed by this virus, in full transparency.
    The virus in question belongs to the Bunyaviridae family, genus Orthobunyavirus and has been tentatively named "Schmallenberg virus".

This virus belongs to a vector-transmitted group of viruses making direct transmission from animal to animal unlikely. However, vertical transmission from dam to newborn via the intrauterine route does occur as with other similar viruses. This group of viruses very often are associated with mild clinical signs of disease or with subclinical infection in ruminants.

So far, cases of disease have been detected in 20 farms in Germany (in cattle and sheep), in 52 farms in the Netherlands (in sheep, and one case in goat), and in 14 farms in Belgium (in sheep, only). No clear geographical clusters of these cases has been shown, so far. This may suggest that the undetected subclinical cases of infection in ruminants may be many more, but the current lack of serological tests renders investigations difficult. Although the congenital malformation in newborn animals have been detected recently and are still being detected in these days, they are most likely caused by transmission of virus by insect vectors that occurred in summer and early autumn, during pregnancy.

There is no evidence that the Schmallenberg virus could cause illness in humans. The Member States and the Commission took note of the preliminary assessment carried out by the European Centre for Disease prevention and Control (ECDC) on the zoonotic risks of the Schmallenberg virus which indicates that "it is unlikely that this virus can cause disease in humans, but it cannot be completely excluded at this stage[1]".

The Member States and the Commission recognise that the information on the Schmallenberg virus is still fragmented and mostly extrapolated from data available on genetically similar viruses in the Orthobunyaviridae genus (Simbu serogroup, like the Akabane virus). The situation needs to be reassessed once new data will be available. Awareness should be improved amongst veterinary services and stakeholders in order to better understand and address the possible risks associated with this virus.

Given this virus is likely transmitted by means of insect vectors, further virus circulation in the current winter is unlikely to occur. This will allow Member States time to gather further data and to plan further actions in view of a possible reoccurrence of disease in spring and summer.
    The Member States and the Commission consider that it is therefore necessary to continue field investigations and surveys on this virus that would generate data on which the possible disease control measures should be based. They therefore agree to develop a guidance document on surveillance as a matter of urgency.

The Member States also invited the Commission to identify possible ways to provide financial support to the above investigations.
    [1] http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publication...berg_virus.pdf

gone up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by SFTTEXELS View Post
    probably another money spinner like blue tongue!!
    +1

Most of us spent hundreds if not thousands on vacc for blue tonque and what a waste of time that was... not to mention the hassle of having to give two jabs the first year !!! the only people that make money out of scares like this are the drug companys and vets......

romneymarsh

Quote Originally Posted by gone up the hill View Post
    +1

Most of us spent hundreds if not thousands on vacc for blue tonque and what a waste of time that was... not to mention the hassle of having to give two jabs the first year !!! the only people that make money out of scares like this are the drug companys and vets......
    No you are very wrong . If we had not taken the action that we did with vaccination Blue tongue would have ripped through our industry like a wild fire and decimmated it. I know some like you think it was a waste of money but crucially a critical number of farmers thought correctly that it was a danger and enough animals were vaccinated to stop the spread of infected midges. Thank goodness.

As far as Schmallenberg virus is concerned its very early days and the vector is not yet identified but it does appear that animals a not vireamic for as long as they are with blue tongue and so it may not be so rampant . There are far more questions than answers.

Watching this very closely .

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by romneymarsh View Post
    No you are very wrong . If we had not taken the action that we did with vaccination Blue tongue would have ripped through our industry like a wild fire and decimmated it. I know some like you think it was a waste of money but crucially a critical number of farmers thought correctly that it was a danger and enough animals were vaccinated to stop the spread of infected midges. Thank goodness.
    Agreed. Anyone that has spoken to any of the effected farmers (especially those with any number of sheep) on the continent, would realise that I certainly wasn't a waste of money. There but by the grace of God....

A friend of mine with 2000 ewes (pre-BT:cry worked out that it cost him 90,000 euros in the first year. The next year, he was relief milking to bring some money in, whle he desperately tried to rebuild numbers from a much depleted lamb crop.

Greysides

I've often thought vaccines are victims of their own success.

Badshot

Maybe we just need some DDT for the midges.

SFTTEXELS

never vaccinated for blue tongue personally for us thought it was a waste of time and money. lambs and shearlings we sold through the BT period didn;t fetch any less and people at markets were not even bothered around us.

romneymarsh

never vaccinated for blue tongue personally for us thought it was a waste of time and money. lambs and shearlings we sold through the BT period didn;t fetch any less and people at markets were not even bothered around us.
    Thats because you are in Yorkshire and BT was never allowed to get into your area because those in the South took the correct action. You clearly never really understood what a threat it was and may well be again should it ever re imerge. Hopefully we will have the correct serotype vaccine since with BT there is no certainty that next time round it will be the same Serotype 8. There are 26 different serotypes of BT worldwide I believe.

gone up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Agreed. Anyone that has spoken to any of the effected farmers (especially those with any number of sheep) on the continent, would realise that I certainly wasn't a waste of money. There but by the grace of God....

A friend of mine with 2000 ewes (pre-BT:cry worked out that it cost him 90,000 euros in the first year. The next year, he was relief milking to bring some money in, whle he desperately tried to rebuild numbers from a much depleted lamb crop.

If you were in the south east i agree that you had to vaccinate againt bluetonque but for anyone away further north and south from the kent dorset etc areas it was just a money spinner for the vets !!!

The vaccination policy was rolled out across the whole country far to quick!!!

As for this disease talked about on this thread we will have to wait and see but sounds like the Nfu are gearing up to support another round of vaccination ....

JP

If you were in the south east i agree that you had to vaccinate againt bluetonque but for anyone away further north and south from the kent dorset etc areas it was just a money spinner for the vets !!!

As for this disease talked about on this thread we will have to wait and see but sounds like the Nfu are gearing up to support another round of vaccination ....
    If a BT midge can fly from Belgium and get a herd of Highlands in Suffolk, how do you know how long it would take to fly down the 303 to get yours? They don't get held up with Grockle's caravans like the rest of us. Good job some in Blighty created a barrier for others IMHO

romneymarsh

Wish it were that simple. There is presently, according to sources, No vaccine for this one. Doubtless one could be developed by but they( pharmaceutical companies) are probably waiting to see the potential impact and therefore likley sales of any vaccine.

It should be remembered that the BT vaccine programme was voluntary with maximum effort put in to encouraging those on the front line in the south and east to act for the greater good. Further north and west , it was very much, for piece of mind. The programme worked.

gone up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    If a BT midge can fly from Belgium and get a herd of Highlands in Suffolk, how do you know how long it would take to fly down the 303 to get yours? They don't get held up with Grockle's caravans like the rest of us. Good job some in Blighty created a barrier for others IMHO
    Yea it was a good job that they created a barrier for the rest of the couunty..

My point is that they should have the country split into zones and only those zones that should have to vaccinate first are the ones nearest the coast to see if that contains things like bluetonque and vaccinate into other zones as and when needed... not go overboard like last time and scare most of the farmers in the country into needlessly vaccination for bluetonque ..

One thing is for sure and that is we are going to get a lot more excotic diseases coming in thru midges etc in the next few years due to the warmer climate...

As for the farmers in the first zones being put at a disadvantage to other farmers in the country that dont need to vacc then perhaps they could cream off some of the MLC levy to pay for it.. ( at least it would be doing some good unlike now!!)

romneymarsh

Yea it was a good job that they created a barrier for the rest of the couunty..

My point is that they should have the country split into zones and only those zones that should have to vaccinate first are the ones nearest the coast to see if that contains things like bluetonque and vaccinate into other zones as and when needed... not go overboard like last time and scare most of the farmers in the country into needlessly vaccination for bluetonque ..

One thing is for sure and that is we are going to get a lot more excotic diseases coming in thru midges etc in the next few years due to the warmer climate...

As for the farmers in the first zones being put at a disadvantage to other farmers in the country that dont need to vacc then perhaps they could cream off some of the MLC levy to pay for it.. ( at least it would be doing some good unlike now!!)
    Your comments are all very well, with the benefit of hind sight. Stratergies to deal with an outbreak like BT , a new disease to the livestock sector did not have that benefit. I am certain that the plans that were developed were laid out with the very best intentions and with our industries interest at the core.

As far as Schmallenberg is concerned , its new but similar to known virusus but one thing is certain there is no vaccine and farmers now engaged in calving and lambing in the south and east of the country are very much in the front line and must not hold back from reporting irregularities.

Perhaps with the benefit of your previously expressed opinions and experience you might care to offer a stratergy to combat this problem.?

llamedos

More info from AHVLA inc results from testing

http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla/2012/0...lenberg-virus/

SFTTEXELS

Thats because you are in Yorkshire and BT was never allowed to get into your area because those in the South took the correct action. You clearly never really understood what a threat it was and may well be again should it ever re imerge. Hopefully we will have the correct serotype vaccine since with BT there is no certainty that next time round it will be the same Serotype 8. There are 26 different serotypes of BT worldwide I believe.
    surely then it was a waste of money for farmers in yorkshire if it never got here.

b slicker

What about the stupid decision to make BT vaccination compulsory in Scotland. And the subsequent heavy losses of suckler cows in the following winter:cry:

When BT first hit SE England, I immediately said I would be willing to sacrifice some of my SFP to pay farmers in the SE to vaccinate so as to provide a firewall. But I was derided as some sort of freak by a number of folk on here.

hilly bill

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    What about the stupid decision to make BT vaccination compulsory in Scotland. And the subsequent heavy losses of suckler cows in the following winter:cry:

When BT first hit SE England, I immediately said I would be willing to sacrifice some of my SFP to pay farmers in the SE to vaccinate so as to provide a firewall. But I was derided as some sort of freak by a number of folk on here.
    What happend there ?? i did mine twice think i was the only one

NeilO

surely then it was a waste of money for farmers in yorkshire if it never got here.
    But a vaccine wouldn't have done much if you'd waited until BT arrived. Nobody really knew how far or how fast it would spread. It travelled across Europe at a hell of a rate. If it had carried on at that speed, it wouldn't have taken long to make the short hop from Kent to Yorkshire. Then, you'd all have been squealing "why didn't we vaccinate".

gone up the hill

Your comments are all very well, with the benefit of hind sight. Stratergies to deal with an outbreak like BT , a new disease to the livestock sector did not have that benefit. I am certain that the plans that were developed were laid out with the very best intentions and with our industries interest at the core.

As far as Schmallenberg is concerned , its new but similar to known virusus but one thing is certain there is no vaccine and farmers now engaged in calving and lambing in the south and east of the country are very much in the front line and must not hold back from reporting irregularities.

Perhaps with the benefit of your previously expressed opinions and experience you might care to offer a stratergy to combat this problem.?
    The plans laid out for blue tonque may have been done with the best intentions but the problem is a lot of farmers ( rightly or wrongly ) feel it was a complete waste of time and money to vaccinate for it and the problem now will be when you get a tropical disease ( could be this one or another down the road ) that farmers should vaccinate for they wont be very inclined to do so as they feel they were lead up the garden path when it came to the bluetonque scare and by the time the majority realize they should have vaccinated it will be too late..

Blue tonque they should have only vaccinated breeding stock outside of the south east..

As for this disease they should vaccinate in the south east if they feel its required but the powers that be should think very long and hard before they scare farmers elsewhere into vaccinating stock just for the sake of it!!!

NeilO

There isn't a vaccine for this one.

gone up the hill

There isn't a vaccine for this one.
    I may be wrong but there wasnt one for blue tongue when it first hit the headlines was there??

Im sure someone somewhere in a lab is close to making a vaccine for this disease..

sheepwreck

I may be wrong but there wasnt one for blue tongue when it first hit the headlines was there??

Im sure someone somewhere in a lab is close to making a vaccine for this disease..
    No vaccine, and no clear idea of what the vector is - in fact not much idea about it. If there's a vaccine for another strain somewhere else then there may be one round the corner, but don't bet the farm on it.
    We had to sign a waiver for the vet before we could get the BTV vaccine because it hadn't been fully tested. I know an alarmingly-large number of farmers who lost 70% of their calves at 1 - 2 days in the year following the compulsory BTV vaccination. It was a huge loss, but it was kept very quiet or put down to nutrition of in-calf cows, but there were far too many, in all areas of Scotland, for it to be co-incidence or nutrition.

Yale

The thing that got me was when we paid well over 1k (IIRC 1500) for our BT vaccine and then a week or two later it was sold at half price.

This should not be allowed to happen again.

Perhaps in this scenario the MLC levy could be used to fund a coordinated vaccination system where the every livestock farmer would shoulder the cost equally and reap the benefits equally as well.

The more stock you sell,the more you contribute.Has to be fair.

SFTTEXELS

But a vaccine wouldn't have done much if you'd waited until BT arrived. Nobody really knew how far or how fast it would spread. It travelled across Europe at a hell of a rate. If it had carried on at that speed, it wouldn't have taken long to make the short hop from Kent to Yorkshire. Then, you'd all have been squealing "why didn't we vaccinate".
    the benefit of hindsight works wonders on the BT topic, and yes didn't do it as it turned out we didnt need to up here (hindsight). perhaps im just a tight yorkshire man (short arms long pockets)

mbsrhol

Quote Originally Posted by Yale View Post
    The thing that got me was when we paid well over 1k (IIRC 1500) for our BT vaccine and then a week or two later it was sold at half price.

This should not be allowed to happen again.

Perhaps in this scenario the MLC levy could be used to fund a coordinated vaccination system where the every livestock farmer would shoulder the cost equally and reap the benefits equally as well.

The more stock you sell,the more you contribute.Has to be fair.
    No, I think that is a bad idea.

NeilO

(From Greysides FWi link) Might be alarmist reporting, but reports of 20-30% lamb losses! If those reports are true, then it could kick off in a big way as BT did.

If that is the case, and 'if' a vaccine can be developed, what would be the best course of action in the UK? Given the thoughts expressed on here over the BTV8 vaccination, would anyone bother on this one? Leave it to our brethren in the SE to protect us maybe? Maybe just English producers should jab, to protect the Scotch & Welsh beef & lamb brands? Maybe we'll all sit back until it arrived, then complain that HMG and the vaccine manufacturers hadn't done enough to protect us?

I can see a situation where the success of the BTV8 vaccination program scuppers the next one, whether Schmallenberg is the next one or not.