Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Schmallenberg virus

andybk

Re: Schmallenberg virus

Quote Originally Posted by bottg View Post
    Apparently now identified in:

Isle of Wight, Wiltshire, West Berkshire and Gloucestershire.
    This is in addition to farms in Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Kent, East and West Sussex, Hertfordshire, Surrey, Hampshire and Cornwall

Not good.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17169452

be interesting to know if its in the onfarm breeding flocks in these regions , or from bought in replacements or hoggs ,
    much movement during autumn sales from south and east etc

ladycrofter

Filthyfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    On the whole a fair article, good ballanced piece from the Mayor of Schmallenberg, problem was it was over two or three pages!!

Just hope it does not start a panic on eating lamb. One thing they could have added along with the "think" their are no human health issues was to say that pregnent women should not be going near lambing ewes/sheds anyway.

le bon paysan

Quote Originally Posted by andybk View Post

why , all of a sudden is there all these midge borne infections about ? seems every year theres something different ,
    i cant remember any before bluetounge in my time as a shepherd .
    Schipol airport in Holland is the major import route of flowers and veg. produce from Africa into Europe. I think with the warming of the summers these midgies hitch a lift in the boxes and get blown inland on the prevailing westerlies. Takes a couple of years to get to a level where we notice it's here.
    Wait till African Horse Sickness starts to get into the ponie population, 'cos where bluetongue goes AHS usually follows.
    Just be thankfull Rinderpest has been eradicated!

AlfM

Quote Originally Posted by le bon paysan View Post
    Schipol airport in Holland is the major import route of flowers and veg. produce from Africa into Europe. I think with the warming of the summers these midgies hitch a lift in the boxes and get blown inland on the prevailing westerlies. Takes a couple of years to get to a level where we notice it's here.
    Wait till African Horse Sickness starts to get into the ponie population, 'cos where bluetongue goes AHS usually follows.
    The third known case of Bluetongue was on a farm not too far from here. Its opposite a garden centre that has truck loads of flowers/plants etc coming from there. Just coincidence mind you.

NeilO

A friend in Holland told me that he is convinced BT had been around for a while. He says his sheep (those that were left:cry where very much healthier after they started vaccinating.

le bon paysan

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    A friend in Holland told me that he is convinced BT had been around for a while. He says his sheep (those that were left:cry where very much healthier after they started vaccinating.
    Try this, All the "problems" with the bluetongue vaccine (like abortions, deformed calves etc. ) were actually the first cases of schmallenburg!
    You never know!!

Greysides

Try this, All the "problems" with the bluetongue vaccine (like abortions, deformed calves etc. ) were actually the first cases of schmallenburg!
    You never know!!
    Now there's a theory!

If true.......................:cry:

hedgerat

Is it time for a schmallenberg sticky at the top of the page as was had for blue tongue?

hedgerat

Quote Originally Posted by Greysides View Post
    Now there's a theory!

If true.......................:cry:
    If those who are inflicted with the virus would hold their hands up, as to whether or not they vaccinated for bt, then perhaps a quite accurate but unscientific link could be established or dissmissed for starters?

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by hedgerat View Post
    If those who are inflicted with the virus would hold their hands up, as to whether or not they vaccinated for bt, then perhaps a quite accurate but unscientific link could be established or dissmissed for starters?
    What would that prove? I would have thought that show of hands would show a definite link, most probably co-incidental. All of the confirmed Schmallenberg so far have been in the south and east, where I suspect almost everyone will have vaccinated against BT. Would the massive number of farms that haven't seen Schmallenberg, but also vaccinated against BT, disprove the same link?

I read LBP's post as suggesting that the 'symptoms' blamed on vaccinating for BT (only on a handful of farms, and more often than not hearsay), where actually the first cases of Schmallenberg, rather than suggesting the BT jab somehow 'caused' it. Or did I misunderstand it?

hedgerat

I read LBP's post as suggesting that the 'symptoms' blamed on vaccinating for BT (only on a handful of farms, and more often than not hearsay), where actually the first cases of Schmallenberg, rather than suggesting the BT jab somehow 'caused' it. Or did I misunderstand it?
    Well. I may have misunderstood also. But, I thought the suggestion was that bt vaccination itself may be the cause of scmallenberg?

My comment was that schmallnberg in a flock or herd which has not been vaccinated for bt would disprove that.

Yale

Quote Originally Posted by hedgerat View Post
    Well. I may have misunderstood also. But, I thought the suggestion was that bt vaccination itself may be the cause of scmallenberg?

My comment was that schmallnberg in a flock or herd which has not been vaccinated for bt would disprove that.
    I read it the same as Neil,the BT vaccination was the 'red herring' and got the blame,maybe they were early cases of the unrelated Schmallenberg virus.

KMA

Interesting,

1. My sympathies go out to those affected, was calving 140+ sucklers on my own when Rotavirus first appeared, simliar types of losses - pretty hellish

2. The suggestions of regional 'buffer' zones being set up is a good one, OK so midge borne viruses are most likely to make their first appearance in SE England but who knows where the next health problem will arise. Also the MLC or other fund should be in place paid for by all livestock owners according to numbers, including mrs miggins with her pet zwarbles/pot-bellied pig/highlander/buff orpington.

3. Down the line, IF the ewes develop immunity after infection could they be in future be worth a premium and could they pass on the immunity to their offspring?

Greysides

Quote Originally Posted by Yale View Post
    I read it the same as Neil,the BT vaccination was the 'red herring' and got the blame,maybe they were early cases of the unrelated Schmallenberg virus.
    I read it differently...............to suggest SBV was a contaminant of some of the BT vaccine..........................

Yale

I read it differently...............to suggest SBV was a contaminant of some of the BT vaccine..........................
    OOh errr,sounds like a major b4lls up if we have created/spread a new strain/disease.

le bon paysan

I read LBP's post as suggesting that the 'symptoms' blamed on vaccinating for BT (only on a handful of farms, and more often than not hearsay), where actually the first cases of Schmallenberg, rather than suggesting the BT jab somehow 'caused' it.
    Yes, I think the vaccination campaign co-incided with the arrival of Schmallenburg. I did not mean that one caused the other or were otherwise connected.

le bon paysan

No! I did not mean that!!
    Must make myself clearer in future.

Milkloss

That's what I read too. I wonder..... stranger things have happened.

Greysides

Thanks for the links........................I think....................I'm still going through the report. ....................

Joules

Oh dear, if what our vet said last night at a farmer meeting (he was actually there to talk about wormers) was correct, next AHVLA announcement may include cases in Cambs and or Northants that he had seen.

hedgerat

I had a strange happening last year.
    A heifer calf, born on the 14th. of august and the last calf of the year, developed a huge swelling just above the ankle and around the whole circumference of a front leg, at about a six weeks old. She carried the leg. She was running out with her dam and was never near any buildings etc.
    All other calves on the ground were and always have been fine.
    I have never seen or had anything like it in the herd (closed) before or since.
    I suspected a snake bite maybe, but, on inspection there was no wound. There was heat and the mass was quite solid.
    I gave her a shot of terramycin and let her run.
    She then developed a less severe swelling above the ankle on a rear leg, but, she was still able to take weight on that leg and both legs then lost the swelling over a medium period of time and she seems to be fine now.

Question is....

That happening would appear to tie in with the supposed ingress of midges which are the carriers of smd and I wondered, that in regard to the fact that smd is supposed to cause loss of milk yield and wieght loss in lactating cows, would it not be consistent to suppose that it can also cause problems to other, probably more susceptable animals and with regard to the problems shown in birth defects could it cause defects in developing animals. (Which after all is what a feotus is) ?

Joules

When bluetongue was freshly spreading, we had a few suspect cases and so called the vet and he got out Animal Health. We had several cows with swelling on the legs. Anyway, not Bluetongue and never did discover what it was. AH did a follow up visit a few months later to see if anything further had developed (it hadn't). They said that because people had to report Bluetongue, they were obviously going to a lot more farms than usual and couldn't believe the numbers of sheep in particular with unexplained swollen heads, which would probably not usually be reported, it was only because of bluetongue that they were being documented. In nearly all cases, if it wasn't bluetongue, they could not find an explanation. Perhaps it's like humans, some react more to a (virus free) midge, mozzie bite, bee sting etc and get a localised swelling, it's just when we have a new virus to worry about that people talk about these things and we start to see how common they are. Once nearly lost a calf that went into a minor anaphylactic shock as a result of a bee or wasp sting and its head and neck all swelled up.