Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you grow spring beans?

Panzer III

Re: How do you grow spring beans?

That would be much appreciated Andrew.

Elmsted

Always found spring soya beans are better at 100 kg hectare and roundup ready.

Never roll. And on close row spacing to lift pods higher up stem.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    I am going to a PGRO technical day later this week so will report back on latest thinking ?
    be sure to tell them that Clive says they have their seed rate advice all wrong !

Andrew Kerr

They are probably reading this thread Clive!

Neddy Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    only one way to grow beans - spend nothing !

Direct drill home saved seed into roundup'ed stubble - conserving moisture but them in about 3-4" deep - double the seed rate that PGRO seem to think - thick crops do much better and conserve moisture and do their own weed control

moisture and its conservation is the most important thing - I wouldn't bother with any fert unless you have very low indices or you are just applying a maintenance dressing to cover last years crop off take

Agronomists hate them (if they are supply) as there is nothing to sell to you ! - they will often try and push all manner of trace element potions - all are bullshit and make no difference to yield when we have tried them
    Clive are you talking about winter or spring beans at 220kg/ha. Thought your wonder crop a few years ago was winters?

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Neddy Flanders View Post
    Clive are you talking about winter or spring beans at 220kg/ha. Thought your wonder crop a few years ago was winters?
    winters at 220 - we do more like 240 for spring

I would rather grow winter than spring anytime - less risky in a dry year

the "wonder" crop was winters (wizard)

not many compelling reasons to grow spring really anymore unless you can't get winter in due to weather

agricontract

Does any one ever get to combine under 16% without roundup
    Round are way we never can and can't spray as there always on contract for seed (fugeo)

Badshot

Why not use diquat to dessicate them then? It costs more than glyphosate but at least it does burn up all the rubbish in the bottom so it blows out the back of the combine. I have cut at less than 16% without roundup but more often than not you lose more beans due to shattering when they get that dry, so I tend to cut them a bit damper anyway.

farmersteve

Ours was grown for seed this year, but we always spray ours off with Reglone. Much easier when everything is burnt off. Combined ours as 14.5-15.5%. Grew Pyramid for first time this year, normally grow Fuego, but sticking with Pyramid now

marco

what date would your normal harvest be with sbeans

Panzer III

Update time.

Sown on the 2nd and 3rd March, heavy rain straight after, took a gamble and rolled 7 days later for pre em just as it was germinating . Everything emerged fine.

Ended up spraying 3x fungicides, as it has been filthy with chocolate spot and mildew. Managed to keep it fairly clean, but the big problem was the incessant rain and wintery temperatures at flowering.

3 weeks ago I walked the 45 acres and found a single pod, and lots of apparently desiccated flowers. On each field walk I have found more and more pods.

Walked it on Tuesday with the agronomist, and on the way out he was 'managing my expectations', by telling me that half the crops in the area hadn't set seed, and I shouldn't be surprised if its a disaster. Now the average plant has 10 or 11 pods. Each pod has 4 beans. I think he was pleasantly surprised

Its been a very uniform crop from emergence onwards, and stands at 4'6 - 5' from hedge to hedge. The upper foliage is fairly spotty, with some crispy dead leaf tissue, but on balance it sounds like its not bad for the year.

Hartwig

Lucky enough I`ve just combined my spring beans. I sprayed them off the first time for me with 2 ltrs. glyphosate when most leafes were off and stems were half black, because of many weeds this year which was new to me.
    I left one cleaner part unsprayed for taking my seed beans, which I did. But now after drying and cleaning them, I`m not sure if that heap is just enough - so I have the choice to buy some seed beans next year of just pick a bucket full from the big heap which got the glyphosate.

Can there be a problem for seed beans when treated with glyphosate ??

Any experience around ?? I have to say that the sprayed fields were remarkably drier than the unsprayed which can not only be because of lower re-wetting in the combine from weeds and green stems I would say. So at least anything has the glyphosate done to the beans and not only to the weeds....

cotswoldcs

@ Hartwig: We always save some but only from new seed. Each year I buy a tonne of new seed and put this in the centre of the best field to save seed from the next year. I'd recommend you do the same.

I'm always reluctant to spray the beans as our current sprayer tractor and 15m sprayer would do too much damage. We did spray two poor fields this year which was definately worth doing. The others have been sprayed post harvest as the weeds are bad enough to warrant it. In the future I plan to replace sprayer with a 24m one and hopefully higher clearance.

This year we suffered with a high percentage of really green beans amongst very ripe ones. This has really messed up the drying and meant it takes a whole day to dry an Opico batch drier . Spraying with Glyphosate didn't make that much difference as the pods were still really green at harvest. The lower pods were all black and close to splitting so didn't want to hold off any longer. Thankfully they're all cut now.

How did yours yield? A large percentage did over 2t/acre for us but were let down by a couple of poor fields that did much, much less. Thankfully we averaged 1.5t/acre which is probably an average yield for us. We'll be growing some again next year but it's a crop that's not without its problems!

Panzer III

Regloned on the 22nd September, 1st half dry day was 4th October - "too green".

Today was the first day worth cutting again! - still green, still soft, but I've frankly had enough of this harvest, so....

All going well, and aiming for an early morning finish!, but this harvest just wont give up...

Straw walker crank through the middle.

Back to the original question of "How do you grow spring beans?"

The correct reply was : Once

Badshot

What is the sample like Panzer? At least you are getting something, and even as feed they are worth a good few££££££'s.

In a normal year you'd probably have been OK, but this year is so screwed up even here in Kent on Romney Marsh there was a combine going at beans the other day.

Hope you get to finish them.

agricontract

One block of ours did 3 ton even with the green ones turning to mush and blocking the riddles every 30min first time that has happend though in ten years of growing them think it was because we cut them at 24% rest did just over 2 ton

agricontract

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer III View Post
    Regloned on the 22nd September, 1st half dry day was 4th October - "too green".

Today was the first day worth cutting again! - still green, still soft, but I've frankly had enough of this harvest, so....

All going well, and aiming for an early morning finish!, but this harvest just wont give up...

Straw walker crank through the middle.

Back to the original question of "How do you grow spring beans?"

The correct reply was : Once
    Apart from the wheels that is the cleanest combine I have see. All year

Get off My Land

Quote Originally Posted by agricontract View Post
    Apart from the wheels that is the cleanest combine I have see. All year
    I was thinking the same !!
    I recon hes had it washed n put away thinking it will be spring be4 hes able to cut them beans.!!

Personally i would stay well away from them...

But if it suits ur system fair enuff.

Oats everytime for a break crop other than OSR or GRASS of course.

We once cut them on the 21st of Nov when the ground was frosty!! so we could travel.

Never had them again since & that was 10yrs easily ago.

spotty_dog

I cut some once in febuary for a customer. They were about knackered but had to be cut i guess.

So Greening is bringing beans back into the spot light. So thought I would bring this thread back up. I need a break crop as we've been barley, barley, barley, bar...... for a good few years now and I think it is starting to show. Neighbour grew some last year and I'm feeding some of them to my cattle, I always end up selling some barley and buying protein, so along with the fact they will help me meet my greening requirement, they are looking like being in this years spring planting. Have read everything I can find about them, and I'm left with many questions, but the one at the top of the list is, I'm sitting on a big straw muck heap which will amply cover all my spring sowing area. Will the beans like it, will the respond to extra, or is there a danger of them lodging?

I'm looking forward to all the updates of the last two harvests for Beans.

Anyone else grown them in Cumbria? Neighbour sprayed off around end of august, and was about 3 weeks till they were dry to harvest, but he didn't use glyphosate, it was something else, and to me it hadn't worked as there was still some green leaf. Beans are nice and full though.

Have grown them for good few years now and always put muck on first. Get better crops from it than beans with no muck on. They dont need any nitrogen fertiliser tho.

Suspect the bean trade might well be a bit depressed come this next autumn!

If you are in an nvz, muck is not allowed to be applied to a legume.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Pidgeon tic beans mainly maris bard are good but drying and not cracking them the trick as got to be good for the premium .
    Late harvest and wet weather the killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine_guy View Post
    So Greening is bringing beans back into the spot light. So thought I would bring this thread back up. I need a break crop as we've been barley, barley, barley, bar...... for a good few years now and I think it is starting to show. Neighbour grew some last year and I'm feeding some of them to my cattle, I always end up selling some barley and buying protein, so along with the fact they will help me meet my greening requirement, they are looking like being in this years spring planting. Have read everything I can find about them, and I'm left with many questions, but the one at the top of the list is, I'm sitting on a big straw muck heap which will amply cover all my spring sowing area. Will the beans like it, will the respond to extra, or is there a danger of them lodging?

I'm looking forward to all the updates of the last two harvests for Beans.

Anyone else grown them in Cumbria? Neighbour sprayed off around end of august, and was about 3 weeks till they were dry to harvest, but he didn't use glyphosate, it was something else, and to me it hadn't worked as there was still some green leaf. Beans are nice and full though.
    Use muck, they like P and K, in fact, I think legumes need more P and K than other crops. The following plan is what the good book says but whether you do it all is up to you.

Pre-em of Pendimethalin and Clomazone. Drill as deep as you can (my guy uses a Claydon so direct) and hope for some moisture to get the best from the pre-em. Seed bed should be level and not coarse and lumpy if you expect the pre-em to work. It is reasonably cheap so no concerns there.

Post em it is Basagran which is expensive and a bit hit and miss. Use graminicides as normal but before first flowers. Watch for bitey bugs/weevil and aphids.

When first flowers appear, on goes the fungicide, San703 +/- manganese/phosphite. Protect from rust/chocolate spot. Hopefully watch is not conductive to the mildew.

Second fungicide San703 again a month or so later or when first pods arrive. You can have a play with the foliar nitrogen at this point if you are feeling rich. Also you aren't supposed to do it but in goes the insecticide for the Bruchid beetle- need clearance and watch for the bees. My guy didn't do this pass at all and to be fair the weather was good so didn't have a lot of disease about anyway.

Final yield was just over 2t/acre. This is on fairly fertile land, your heap of strawy FYM won't be that hot in terms of N loading, and it won't be immediately available to this coming crop so don't panic too much.

We didn't dessicate, but you can use roundup or Diquat/Reglone instead but it is pricey. Works very quickly though.

We try to grow spring beans cheaply and use the run up to drilling as a blackgrass chit and clean up. Crop grew well up to my chest and beyond and didn't lodge at all, nothing like as scary as peas!

Go for it.