Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Matbro 280 hub oil

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    26

    Matbro 280 hub oil

    What oil should I be putting in my 1996 Matbro TS 280 hubs (Carraro axle)? Can I put 15-30 Suto in it, as that is what I put in the tractors with wet brakes. I do not want the brakes to chatter.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,378

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    Quote Originally Posted by devonjohn View Post
    What oil should I be putting in my 1996 Matbro TS 280 hubs (Carraro axle)? Can I put 15-30 Suto in it, as that is what I put in the tractors with wet brakes. I do not want the brakes to chatter.

    This is from Morris Lu

    www.whatoildoineed.com






    Ace would be the definitive answer but their gear oil in the hubs would be about right.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    In theory the UTTO should be OK but Ace, i am sure, will recommend the the LS 80/90 gear oil.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    Quote Originally Posted by devonjohn View Post
    What oil should I be putting in my 1996 Matbro TS 280 hubs (Carraro axle)? Can I put 15-30 Suto in it, as that is what I put in the tractors with wet brakes. I do not want the brakes to chatter.
    No Utto and suto will not do in these hub. Limited slip 90 or LS90 or XEP90 if using Morris oils. its also the oil used in the axle casing/beam, if you put Utto or Suto in that you will have issues with the limited slip diff. (speaking from past experience there!)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    No Utto and suto will not do in these hub. Limited slip 90 or LS90 or XEP90 if using Morris oils. its also the oil used in the axle casing/beam, if you put Utto or Suto in that you will have issues with the limited slip diff. (speaking from past experience there!)
    As i found out with a Manitou axle

  6. #6
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    As i found out with a Manitou axle
    That was a clark hurth though but yeah it has the same effect.

    You made and decisions on your 2 machines yet? Are they staying or going?

    Bought myself a yellow new holland last week.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,378

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    No Utto and suto will not do in these hub. Limited slip 90 or LS90 or XEP90 if using Morris oils. its also the oil used in the axle casing/beam, if you put Utto or Suto in that you will have issues with the limited slip diff. (speaking from past experience there!)

    When I started here in 81 Esso Unifarm was the big thing. One oil fits everything went the ad's.

    My short-lived predecessor who was really a car mechanic very much out of his depth with farm machinery had had a go at overhauling a couple of carnfield power harrows- think 7 gearboxes- middle one for the pto, 3 each side, each with a 24" rotor with 4 tines all running as one and needed to be timed to be like your mums electric hand mixer so things didn't clash. Besides failing to time things up he'd used the new wonder oil. Things weren't good, the clashing just knackered the keys and connecting sleeves between boxes, but the the straight cut bevel gear and pinions were not well from the oil, the worst were replaced with new but those that were salvageable by putting them in a different position to make them run right to use the undamaged tooth faces were put back into service.

    I did both and also resurrected the third one that had been cannibalised for spares. It was a lot of cleaning up, setting up bearings and shimming gears, timing shafts and gears but it also involved refilling with a good quality EP140 oil, the last can still on the rack! The right oil made hell of a difference making them run nearly as well as when they were new, again with the right oil.

    Unifarm had its places but gearboxes like that wasn't one of them
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  8. #8
    Senior Member MF-ANDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    s e cambs
    Posts
    248

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    LS90 oil in the beam yes, but utto in the hubs will give you better brakes as it clears from the disc quicker than LS90

  9. #9
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    Quote Originally Posted by MF-ANDY View Post
    LS90 oil in the beam yes, but utto in the hubs will give you better brakes as it clears from the disc quicker than LS90
    TS280 have power assited brakes and are good enough to smash your head through window enen when theyer worn out metal to metal. They eat brake discs as it is let alone with utto in them. There some sort of grey grafite stuff not like you would find in most other things.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,378

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    Quote Originally Posted by MF-ANDY View Post
    LS90 oil in the beam yes, but utto in the hubs will give you better brakes as it clears from the disc quicker than LS90
    Went right off non gear oil in hubs after we had a couple of hub wheel bearings pack up in a T2 teleporter (out board brakes) and also a couple on the 4 7810's we had, all carrero axles.

    Always think that those two hub bearings being so close together must have to handle some enormous side loads compared to say trailer hubs where there may be 2-3 times the distance between them
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,098

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    That was a clark hurth though but yeah it has the same effect.

    You made and decisions on your 2 machines yet? Are they staying or going?

    Bought myself a yellow new holland last week.
    I dunnow. If I have not got jobs of the place this year needing a loader i do not need 2 + all the running costs. I don't like the NH around the yard or any where tight come to that. Which model did you buy? I could always get the old 1959 Chaseside going to shift the old big bale in the yard!

  12. #12
    Senior Member ACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    I dunnow. If I have not got jobs of the place this year needing a loader i do not need 2 + all the running costs. I don't like the NH around the yard or any where tight come to that. Which model did you buy? I could always get the old 1959 Chaseside going to shift the old big bale in the yard!
    Its a lm410 i think? 6metre one anyway. Should get it in next couple weeks. Not seen it for 12months! So i hope its roughly as i remember it

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Halsall
    Posts
    10

    Re: Matbro 280 hub oil

    Give us a call we might be able to help 07827 446 282 ask for Lee OR www.lrt-lubricants.co.uk I'm sure we will be able to find something suitable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •