Thread: Gasket goo.

Gasket goo.

Can I ask for some advice please ? I am currently servicing a machine with quite a few right-angled gearboxes. I am taking up the backlash as per the technical manual but what would normally be gaskets between the drive shaft tubes and the actual gearboxes are in fact shims. You remove some of these to push the "pinion" nearer to the "crownwheel" They are made of a plastic type of material, it looks like neoprene.

I have had problems with gearboxes leaking oil and sometimes the "gasket/shim" is the culprit. My question is, what would be the best type of gasket goo to use when re-assembling please ? I've shown a couple of photos. of a couple of "gasket/shims", they come in 0.003", 0.005", and 0.015" thicknesses. TIA as usual.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Gasket goo.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Can I ask for some advice please ? I am currently servicing a machine with quite a few right-angled gearboxes. I am taking up the backlash as per the technical manual but what would normally be gaskets between the drive shaft tubes and the actual gearboxes are in fact shims. You remove some of these to push the "pinion" nearer to the "crownwheel" They are made of a plastic type of material, it looks like neoprene.

I have had problems with gearboxes leaking oil and sometimes the "gasket/shim" is the culprit. My question is, what would be the best type of gasket goo to use when re-assembling please ? I've shown a couple of photos. of a couple of "gasket/shims", they come in 0.003", 0.005", and 0.015" thicknesses. TIA as usual.
    I'd be tempted to use something like Loctite 515....its actually a gasket eliminator rather than like the blue hylomar stuff that used to be around.
    The extra bit of jolop will likely alter the backlash settings though

Re: Gasket goo.

Thanks Richard. I have Loctite (don't know which ones I have in stock) and Hylomar red & blue but I found their site very interesting. http://hylomar.com/ and I have sent their technical people an email with a link to this topic asking what would be the most suitable product to use.