Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the history of silage machines?

no-smoke-no-poke

the history of silage machines?

I'm looking into the history of silage machines as we want to get an evolution of silage working demonstration in our show nextyear over in Ireland. Some of yous may have seen this thread, and the vid of what we achieved lastyear, even saw the article in Classic Tractor Magazine, anyways take a look at this thread if you didnt hear of it.
    http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62571

anyways having searched a bit in the past few weeks i'm trying to get some information off some of yous that may know bits

firstoff, the green crop loader. Who made it? when was it first made? and are there any in Ireland still in working order? its a ground driven machine towed behind the trailer, as you can see in this pic. as far as i can tell it was a late 20's early 30's machine
    pic thanks to bogman

next then in the 1935 came the wilder cutlift type built in Reading in the UK. some info on it came from University of Reading & the museum of country living in Reading
    I need to find one in Ireland in working order. they were able to cut & lift all in one, a finger bar mower was attached. and was ground driven

after this machine was the 50's the era of the forage harvester, what was the first one produced (for the uk & eire market).?

i know in 55/6 David Brown were making a Hurricane, need some info on that as i've found not one but three. as far as my knowledge extends they were one of the first single chops but wasnt great at cutting, & with heavy grass needed a finger bar infront of it.. would i be right with that? the first had a fiberglass chute (1955/6 model) & was... well, shite to say the least, they revamped it & made it metal & it was much improved. i know that much atleast.

What year did Taarup start making their single chop side mounted, what models available, the 43 inch & the 53 inch wasnt it, what was the "handy"?

jf also made a range of harvesters, again what years were these produced? same with gyro? all info would be great.

then the 60's, 1960 was the first self propelled forage harvester, the new holland sp818
    this is it i think, or atleast very similar looking for silage, had a pickup reel i thought

i'm getting pieces here & there & slowly beginning to build a picture of what was happening so please any info please do share it it would be great

any other machines i've forgotten up as far as the 60's apart from the buckrake that you thin should be mentioned, and any snippets of information, contacts that may know something ect

would be great to have them all together one after the other as a demonstration, followed then by 100 or so single chop harvesters cutting simultaneously.

davidroberts30

Re: the history of silage machines?

interesting thread
    the last pic,we had a 1880 nh selp proppeled 30 years ago

looks a bit similar but i was only knee high to a grass hopper then

essexpete

My Father had a new Taarup in about '57 or '58 and it was pulled by a Major. I think the flail cut would have been about 5' wide. I cn't imagine the crop was very heavy. Used to blow into ag trailer or Austin Lodstar tipper both with high side extensions.

Gee

Pretty sure our Green Crop loader was International Mcormick.
    Was avert small boy at the time though.
    Can remember being in the trailer when it was being used,couple of folk had to fork the grass forward to fill the trailer properly.
    Gee

Orcadian

no-smoke-no-poke

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Pretty sure our Green Crop loader was International Mcormick.
    Was avert small boy at the time though.
    Can remember being in the trailer when it was being used,couple of folk had to fork the grass forward to fill the trailer properly.
    Gee
    international, cool, ive come across that connection before might try find that a bit further

no-smoke-no-poke

found this

McCormick-Deering produced seven (7) different Hay Loaders whose description, and parts may be found in the International Harvester Manual HM-1. McCormick (AND McCormick-Deering) Parts Catalog for Hay Machines.
    1) McCormick Deering Gearless Rake Hay Loader (1910-1930)
    2) McCormick Deering Adjustable Windrow Hay Loader (1920-1948)
    3) McCormick Deering Model W Adjustable Windrow Green Crop Loader (1939 - ?)
    4) McCormick Deering Cylinder Rake Hay Loader (1929 - ?)
    5) McCormick Deering Model R Green Crop Loader (1938 - ?)
    6) International Steel Windrow Hay Loader (1914-1921)
    7) Double Cylinder Swath and Windrow Hay Loader (1914- 1923)

sprocket

Anybody ever make silage by stacking small bales in pit? Ive heard this was tried many years ago too?

DavidB

Your 'Hurricane' looks very similar to the Kidd single chop we used to have.

We found it far more useful at clearing out overgrowth in the base of hedges than for cutting silage grass - it would just go through anything from rye grass to small (and not so small) oaks.

When there was a contest between granite stones and the Kidd forager, my money was on the Kidd!!!!!! (A bit noisy and a bit disconcerting with shards of rock being heaved into the cab of the 135 - but hey, clean hedge bottoms!).

A heavyish bit of kit for a 135 though - much better when we sussed out Leylands..

Cheers

David.

Exfarmer

I am no expert
    Silage was well established 150 years ago
    I think it took off in the uk in the 1920's promoted by Hosier's
    But could well be wrong
    They mounted buck rakes/ hayrakes on the front of old cars model T's etc.Bringing grass to clamps where men would level it with forks

Choppers evolved in the states with Fox and silorator developing machines which threw the grass into the trailer and cut it short intheprocess
    The Californians mounted engines on them and suddenly you had
    Huge deutz and Claas machines

DavidB

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post

We found it far more useful at clearing out overgrowth in the base of hedges than for cutting silage grass - it would just go through anything from rye grass to small (and not so small) oaks.

When there was a contest between granite stones and the Kidd forager, my money was on the Kidd!!!!!! (A bit noisy and a bit disconcerting with shards of rock being heaved into the cab of the 135 - but hey, clean hedge bottoms!).

A heavyish bit of kit for a 135 though - much better when we sussed out Leylands..

Cheers

David.

PS The Kidd was of course offset - swapping the thing from working to transport was, to understate slightly, Not Easy. It was wise to ensure you avoided the largest granite boulder in the ditch, not because it was a threat to the forager, but it was useful to chock the wheels!!!

no-smoke-no-poke

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post

Cheers

David.

apparently unbreakable
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABuIfdN20WA

no-smoke-no-poke

just found a cool piece of information a bit sidetracked to silage, but the first combine in the uk was in 1928 and was the McCormick Deering No. 8 combine

multi power

i can remember dad cutting silage with a UG side mounted single chop harvester on a massey 65 mk2, 10x6 frazer n martin markim trailers behind mf35 plus 4cyl35 on buckrake, up till 1985 or so

y fan wen

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    Anybody ever make silage by stacking small bales in pit? Ive heard this was tried many years ago too?
    You made half length bales. Even half length, they were too heavy. Very difficult to compact the pile enough to close the air spaces, so it never caught on!

DavidB

Smile Re: the history of silage machines?

Quote Originally Posted by no-smoke-no-poke View Post

No the video was of the double chop - a week and flimsy affair!!!!!

Tha Ulsterscot

HI, No Smoke,we have an IH green crop loader here in Co. Down. It is in working order, I'll try to post a pic. Paddy. Our first silo was filled with the Grey fergy and buck rake direct from the field, after being cut with an ordinary reaper, it was a slow job. Ten you spent days rolling the silage and carting water and molases onto it

John Maddock

Don't forget the Hayter (sp?) Harvester.

It was heavy, trailed, pto driven, with 2 flat horizontal discs about 700mm diam. fitted with 4 triangular sickle bar mower sections to cut the grass.

The discs flung the full length grass into a rotor which blew the grass up a chute into the trailer.

I used a borrowed one only for topping, so I have no know knowledge of how well it worked, but the fact that the owner didn't want it back for some years suggested that he was unimpressed with its silage making qualities!

Dated from the early or mid-fifties.

Also don't forget the International "Gloster" direct cut harvester. Linkage mounted, slightly offset. Was a big load for a 35 to drive & carry, and left the grass pushed down by the right hand rear wheel. Early 60s.

JV

Cowabunga

The DB forager looks very much like a badge-engineered Wilder.
    Lundell made a few such machines as well. They also made them for MF I think.

DavidB

I know I have mentioned here before, unfortunately I have no photos, but one of the best 'early' outfits we had in the late 70s, early 80s was an adapted Bamford S4 with a 140hp Bedford engine mounted on it. We dragged it around the fields with a Belarus 4wd - cant remember the exact model, wish I could, would love to add one to the collection. When I look at Konedata - it looks like the MTZ800 with the white cab, - but I always thought it was approx 100hp.

Anyway, we were outperforming New Holland precision chops at the time - great, great days!!!

We were hauling with Leyland 285s and 2100s, when not foraging or hauling, , I was buckraking with a Leyland 2100 with dual wheels. I Kidd you not, it would climb the side of a small mountain!!!

David

eric_t

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    The DB forager looks very much like a badge-engineered Wilder.
    Lundell made a few such machines as well. They also made them for MF I think.
    The DB was a 'genuine' DB version, unlike their combines, it was not rebadged.

I think that Ferguson made one before DB, Fergie tried to take David Brown to court over patent infringement, but because of the design of the flails was different from one to the other, it never materialised.

JimF

We have this.

It must have been one of the earliest forage harvesters.

Forage Trader

I cut acres with one of those Kid off set, we started with A Martin Markham bought brand new along with a Fordson Dexta one of the only tractors that would pull it at the time, before that dad would have done it all with a Paterson buck rake pushed into a wedge in the corner of the field

I would love to see a picture of a Martin Markam if some one has one

John Maddock

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    We have this.

It must have been one of the earliest forage harvesters.
    Looks like what I knew as the Hayter Harvester.

I used a "knocked around" one in the early 60s, so I presume it dates from the early to mid 50s.

JV

Exfarmer

I think this may actually be a silorator
    there were various copies and I think Kydd did one as well

no-smoke-no-poke

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    I think this may actually be a silorator
    there were various copies and I think Kydd did one as well

dont think its a silorator

Quote Originally Posted by John Maddock View Post
    Also don't forget the International "Gloster" direct cut harvester. Linkage mounted, slightly offset. Was a big load for a 35 to drive & carry, and left the grass pushed down by the right hand rear wheel. Early 60s.

JV

you sure it wasnt a bamford.. maybe now i'm wrong tho theres so many machines been thrown at me at this stage,

keep firing these ideas tho, i'm beginning to piece together quite a bit of info which is daecent

lads its not fesably possible to have every machine ever invented like, but for example one of each type, ie the single chop, either the most common or the first invented ect. would love to get them all down no doubt & i'll try my best to get the best lineup possible

no-smoke-no-poke

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ulsterscot View Post
    HI, No Smoke,we have an IH green crop loader here in Co. Down. It is in working order, I'll try to post a pic. Paddy. Our first silo was filled with the Grey fergy and buck rake direct from the field, after being cut with an ordinary reaper, it was a slow job. Ten you spent days rolling the silage and carting water and molases onto it

i can actually tell you that yours, with galvanized bed and sides with McCormick-Deering decal on each side. was a #4 McCormick Deering Cylinder Rake Hay Loader (1929 - ?)

JimF

dont think its a silorator
    Yes it is a Silorator. There's just a few different versions of it.

And there was a special trailer to go with it.

1:16 version made too.

http://www.classic-combines.com/silagetrailer.html

no-smoke-no-poke

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Yes it is a Silorator. There's just a few different versions of it.
    brilliant info, thanks... ok so we're back to 1957, was there one previous to 57'. any more info on these? keep it coming.. and need to find one aswell

ans still trying to find more on the wilder cutlift type, and ofcourse try to find one

JimF

still trying to find more on the wilder cutlift type, and ofcourse try to find one
    Oddly enough, in the barn where we found the Silorator, there was a cast iron 'Wilder Cutlift' name plate lying. I saved it too. No idea about the machine it's self though.