Thread: DD Spring Barley into Stubble Turnips

Longpod

DD Spring Barley into Stubble Turnips

Now the stubble turnips have been grazed off by the cattle, its now time to think about putting Spring Barley in.

We usually plough the stubble turnips in and then drill the barley.

Here is the question, if I spray the turnip ground off with roundup, can I then DD into it using a Sumo Versadrill??? Will it cope? It is light land.

marco

Re: DD Spring Barley into Stubble Turnips

That looks lovely, i would say it will fly trough that.

Willscale

Looks perfect. Pull the versadrill legs out the way I say too. The soil looks friable enough.

hj

Quote Originally Posted by Longpod View Post
    Now the stubble turnips have been grazed off by the cattle, its now time to think about putting Spring Barley in.

We usually plough the stubble turnips in and then drill the barley.

Here is the question, if I spray the turnip ground off with roundup, can I then DD into it using a Sumo Versadrill??? Will it cope? It is light land.
    Wow! Your cows are'nt very hungry! There's a ot of stuff left in that field. I'll have to get a photo of the field after my cows! Only dirt left!

I'm in the same position as you, and intend on trying DD spring wheat after turnips, (which were also DD'ed after Winter barley).

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Wow! Your cows are'nt very hungry! There's a ot of stuff left in that field. I'll have to get a photo of the field after my cows! Only dirt left!

I'm in the same position as you, and intend on trying DD spring wheat after turnips, (which were also DD'ed after Winter barley).
    I was thinking the same. Maybe worth find a sheep farmer locally, to turn those wasted turnips into readily available fertiliser.

Hartwig

Looks perfect to me, too.

Going to try spring barley this year the first time for me, so would like to hear any experience with DDing fodder-spring-baley, not going to try malting qualities here.

Which seedrate (seeds/m2 please...) is best, here it comes to drilling rather mid april, when it dries out on my heavy soil ?? With autumn DDing it is needed here to raise seedrate up by 10 to 20 % to have same establishment pre-winter than conventional (or drill 2 weeks earlier, which is often enough not possible...) - is that rule the same in spring DDing cereals ??

Spring barley has to go in wheat stubbles here with quite some volunteers - should I spray that off early before drilling that the wheat has already died or does it not matter to the Barley if I spray it off after seeding which I always do when drilling spring beans ?!?

Mayo

There is a ready made tilth there already! Don't plough it and put all that material under the ground.

DD straight into it. Those turnips look rather unhappy now, is it worth spraying them?

Any doubts about the cultivation effect of this kind of crop would be proven unfounded by those photos!

Longpod

We had to get the cows home as close to calving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    There is a ready made tilth there already! Don't plough it and put all that material under the ground.

DD straight into it. Those turnips look rather unhappy now, is it worth spraying them?

Any doubts about the cultivation effect of this kind of crop would be proven unfounded by those photos!
    We always seem to suffer with the turnips re growing, so thought we should spray them off.......

Pedders

Quote Originally Posted by Longpod View Post
    We always seem to suffer with the turnips re growing, so thought we should spray them off.......
    I would spray them off but would leave it as long as possible to allow as much regrowth as you can then spray them off...theres no rush to DD spring barley quite yet and temps are too cold for roundup to work well ...just wish my soil looked as friable as that after the sheep have been across it ...mines more like a concrete road !

hj

Here are some of our cows finishing off the last corner of turnips. Bit frosty this morning.

This will be DD with Spring Wheat. Plan is to allow to green up in the next month, roundup off and drill.

Willscale

Here are some of our cows finishing off the last corner of turnips. Bit frosty this morning.

This will be DD with Spring Wheat. Plan is to allow to green up in the next month, roundup off and drill.
    How much compaction do you think is there Huw?

hj

Will

I don't think that there is much compaction, will have to get the spade out when it's milder!

Interesting to read SimonC's comment about drilling a bit deeper and then getting the seed covered or rolled.

I'll probably have to subsoil in the gateway where they have been coming in and out every day.

I think that the soil actually looks worse tody, as it's so cold. There has been a lot of worm activity in this field, and has kept the cows up well, with very little poaching.

Longpod

Will

I don't think that there is much compaction, will have to get the spade out when it's milder!

Interesting to read SimonC's comment about drilling a bit deeper and then getting the seed covered or rolled.

I'll probably have to subsoil in the gateway where they have been coming in and out every day.

I think that the soil actually looks worse tody, as it's so cold. There has been a lot of worm activity in this field, and has kept the cows up well, with very little poaching.
    I was thinking the same. They have made quite a mess in the gateway. Is subsoiling the correct thing to do? Gateways are very wet and poached.:cry:

coolman

Has anyone got any advice on how to deal with the wet gateways and the few tracks across fields after cattle comming and going after forage rape, kale etc. I want to dd grass and some arable silage into a few fields and wondering if i should subsoil and mabey use some sort of a light harrow (straw rake would be ideal i think) or would i need a run with something like a lemken rubin.
    Any advice most appreciated.

kpa

Last year after sheep worm casts then crop, this year mid Jan still grazing, now over to the left of the photo

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by kpa View Post
    Last year after sheep worm casts then crop, this year mid Jan still grazing, now over to the left of the photo
    Thats impressive KPA. Very impressive. I've said for a long time if you get it right Spring barley DD works very well. My former place of work tried it several times, its a psychological battle of wills, more so if malting crops were potentially involved.

Thing is, I spent a year on a big estate where we out wintered cattle like this, and NONE of the fields in question looked anything like as good as those above.

The cattle were wet, dirty and minging, and the soil was just the same. Putting out ring feeders of straw with the Loadall every so often just made it into a morass. What are you guys doing differently I wonder? ours was a mixture of stubble turnips and forage rape. It was then dunged and promptly ploughed at the end.

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by coolman View Post
    Has anyone got any advice on how to deal with the wet gateways and the few tracks across fields after cattle comming and going after forage rape, kale etc. I want to dd grass and some arable silage into a few fields and wondering if i should subsoil and mabey use some sort of a light harrow (straw rake would be ideal i think) or would i need a run with something like a lemken rubin.
    Any advice most appreciated.
    yes long term you need to alter the grazing pattern in my view. Try and find an easy way to paddock graze or divide the field up so they don't have to follow the same tracks or stamp on the old stuff too often.

Willscale

Thats impressive KPA. Very impressive. I've said for a long time if you get it right Spring barley DD works very well. My former place of work tried it several times, its a psychological battle of wills, more so if malting crops were potentially involved.

Thing is, I spent a year on a big estate where we out wintered cattle like this, and NONE of the fields in question looked anything like as good as those above.

The cattle were wet, dirty and minging, and the soil was just the same. Putting out ring feeders of straw with the Loadall every so often just made it into a morass. What are you guys doing differently I wonder? ours was a mixture of stubble turnips and forage rape. It was then dunged and promptly ploughed at the end.
    Should never be on a DD field with a loadall and ring feeder. Cattle should not be allowed too much time on the same patch in my view - kind of mob grazing for arable situation could be good - creative electric fencing could do the job quite easy. That said sheep are not as bad probably.

KPA - is this a continuous rotation? Have you experimented with Pedders cover crop vs turnips? - I guess turnips would be more grazing but cost more because of N costs.

kpa

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    ...KPA - is this a continuous rotation? Have you experimented with Pedders cover crop vs turnips? - I guess turnips would be more grazing but cost more because of N costs.
    It is becoming one I have a field earmarked for Pedders mix this year. It's a field that is inclined to be below par with a second wheat. So the plan is Peddars mix then Spring beans next year followed by Winter wheat. Then we'll see. Rotation not fixed, when the facts change, I change my mind

Thank you Mayo, that's very kind. However, the difference between our sheep and your cattle is considerable. This Winter has been ideal for grazing R&T. Wet Winters can leave a bit of a mess, which you need to leave longer to dry in the the spring before D/D.