Thread: Insuring a new driver

Insuring a new driver

17 year old, just passed test and need to insure on van bought for him but getting either unable to quote or 4000 plus for a 1200 van!
    Any thoughts?

Re: Insuring a new driver

It might be cheaper if you have a 2nd named driver who has been driving a few years also on the insurance.

Would it be cheaper to buy a banger for him and get insurance with a 'black box',at least for the first year while he builds up his own NCB?

I've got an 18 year-old friend with a Yaris who pays upwards of 1200 (can't remember the exact figure), limited to 3000 miles per year.

It might also be worth looking at classic car insurance, there are a few companies who will do it for under-25s: I drive a Series 2A and my friends are still envious of my insurance cost (500 last two years), though I'm now 23 so it's probably a bit lower than if I'd passed yesterday.

somerset uk ,my family has 12 farms in michigan usa

this insurence is a big rip off,rip off england

When our son passed his test a couple of years ago, we spent a while checking online for insurance. It's no use buying a vehicle first. We found money supermarket the best deal, but couldn't believe how local firms could be so much more expensive.

Sounds familiar - on this side of the pond it is virtually impossible to get insurance for a single male under 21 unless you pay a fortune. The only way is under someone else's insurance (parent) where the person doesn't have "unlimited access" to the vehicle (3 drivers and only 2 vehicles).

Reading this thread made me appreciate having all this aggro way behind us now, but then it set me thinking about our boy out in Oz working for a large car dealer group- he's progressed/trained here through LR, Jag, (remember the hoo-har being allowed solo on his 1st S type road test ) & Aston Martin, there he's added Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and now RR. Heaven knows what their insurance bill is? their a fair sized business, many sites and a lot of the technicians are under 40

Maybe they cover their own risk- like the royal mail and the forces here in the UK??
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Reading this thread made me appreciate having all this aggro way behind us now, but then it set me thinking about our boy out in Oz working for a large car dealer group- he's progressed/trained here through LR, Jag, (remember the hoo-har being allowed solo on his 1st S type road test ) & Aston Martin, there he's added Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and now RR. Heaven knows what their insurance bill is? their a fair sized business, many sites and a lot of the technicians are under 40

Maybe they cover their own risk- like the royal mail and the forces here in the UK??
    Surely it is an offence to drive without insurance, would sel insuring be classified as being insured?

It is some time since I visited OZ and New Zealand but then I think they were more laid back about such things.
    I emember driving across a single track bridge in New Zealand, half way across I looked down and realised I was driving on top of railway lines! Fortunate not to meet a train!
    In OZ on Frazers island two Cessna with props whirring taxied straight in to a crowd of us! No worries mate!

JackCaley

Something rings a bell...NZ.....you insure yourself.....not the third party.
    Bit hazy the details now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Surely it is an offence to drive without insurance, would sel insuring be classified as being insured?

. . .

JackCaley
    Jack - on this side of the pond, many large organizations "self insure" (i.e. government, power utilities, . . .). I am not sure how it works now, but if you wanted to self-insure for $1m you had to get it "bonded".

When I was in Tennessee a decade ago, auto insurance wasn't required so they had to sell it based on the benefits - I guess it was cheaper to fully insure 3 vehicles in Nashville than it was to put the minimum insurance on 1 vehicle in New Jersey State

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Something rings a bell...NZ.....you insure yourself.....not the third party.
    Bit hazy the details now.

In Oz the number plate on the car is also the vehicles 3rd party insurance so all vehicles should be insured, if you want more, ie fully comp then you have to arrange that yourself on top. At least everything is insured in theory but IIRC the cost of the plates/insurance can add up to quite a significant amount
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......