Thread: planning for sheep polytunnels?

planning for sheep polytunnels?

Will I need planning for a couple of small (30ft x 16ft) sheep polytunnels? No solid base, not planned as a permanent thing...
    Team Rosewood - Grazing where others fear to tread!

Re: planning for sheep polytunnels?

Anything that is moveable is a grey area and depends largely on your LPA (Local Planning Authority) I know of an instance where someone had hassle because of pig arks for outdoor pigs! But let's start at the beginning and paint a worse-case scenario i.e. that you have erected the poly tunnels and some officious jobsworth calls to say that a member of the public has alerted them (the LPA) to your structures and they say that you must apply for planning permission.

I assume that you have at least 5 Ha. If so then you do have what are called Permitted Development Rights as far as agricultural buildings are concerned. There are certain caveats that come with these rights, the one that LPAs like to fall back on is whether the building is "reasonably necessary for agriculture" but there are others. Like being near to an aerodrome, highway, etc. etc.

I would argue until the cows come home that you don't have to apply for anything with regard to your proposed poly tunnels because they are modest in size. But you do have 2 choices here. 1. You do make an application (more on that later) and 2. You tell them to go fly their kite ! If you do the latter they may slap an Enforcement Notice on you and then you appeal it to the Planning Inspectorate in Bristol. That procedure doesn't cost you a penny unless you start to employ experts. If you do start to employ "experts" then be careful. I once employed planning consultants, who in turn suggested that I employ a planning lawyer, who in turn suggested that I employ a QC who was supposed to be well versed in planning matters. The upshot of all this was that after a couple of years I had a nice fat cheque from the Treasury Solicitor for the money that I had spent with all these "experts"

Why did I get re-imbursed ? Well I mentioned that you can always make an application if an Enforcement Notice is served on you. I did that in the above case and I had used the procedure known as a Prior Notification (PN) initially for the application, the same as I have always done. And it wasn't until the QC got off his backside that he discovered that you can't appeal a PN. Hence the refund from HMG. Even PINS (The Planning Inspectorate) went along with the appeal and an inspector duly arrived and walked round the place !!! Even they didn't know then that you can't appeal a PN.

I still see people trying to get agricultural buildings using the PN method and it's wrong. If you decide to make an application then use a procedure called a Lawful Development Certificate (LDC) If that is turned down you can appeal that. Good luck.
    Last edited by zaza; 03-04-17 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks for such a comprehensive answer!
    Team Rosewood - Grazing where others fear to tread!

Quote Originally Posted by MerryKerry View Post
    Thanks for such a comprehensive answer!
    You are most welcome. I have coined a phrase that I think is very accurate and that is that planning and Internet forums (and also social media which I won't touch) brings out the worst in people. In fairness to the planners and the enforcement people they're not interested in the small stuff but if you've got old women near you (or blokes that act like old women) who have got nothing else better to do with their lives than spy on other people then then that's when problems arise. The enforcement people and planners are duty bound to investigate and attempt to make people jump through hoops although I have been very fortunate in having dealings with some really helpful decent people in those departments but to a degree their hands are tied.

Quote Originally Posted by MerryKerry View Post
    Will I need planning for a couple of small (30ft x 16ft) sheep polytunnels? No solid base, not planned as a permanent thing...
    How long of a time frame are you planning on having them up? If it is short enough and you receive a complaint maybe you can take them down so "you have complied"?

Post Re: planning for sheep polytunnels?

Having seen a response already so eloquently answered, I do have a different question for you. Have you already found a company to supply you a polytunnel? If you are still looking for a quote for comparison please do give me a call. Our company is McGregor Polytunnels on 03332 079 747. My name is John. Alternatively you can email me at john@mcgregorpolytunnels.co.uk, thanks.