Thread: What are the benefits of three phase?

Filthy Rich

What are the benefits of three phase?

Help!

What are the benefits of 3 phase over single?

Main farm enterprise may/will be robotic dairy where a constant 11 KVA supply is needed.

Quote is 17500 to install 50 KVA 3 phase

Currently I only have 15 KVA single so will have to upgrade that in any case but for a lot less I would assume but would it be "man" enough?

Exfarmer

Re: What are the benefits of three phase?

all new motors will be a lot cheaper
    The supply will be less prone to spikes

it is perfectly possible to upgrade any supply to any size three or single phase
    you may find the board unwilling to make your supply much bigger on single

it much depends on the size of your motors as it is the start up load which imposes the main draw

Filthy Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    all new motors will be a lot cheaper
    The supply will be less prone to spikes

it is perfectly possible to upgrade any supply to any size three or single phase
    you may find the board unwilling to make your supply much bigger on single

it much depends on the size of your motors as it is the start up load which imposes the main draw
    I have been told by Lely that to run 1-6 bots plus ancillaries such as tube cooler, buffer tank etc I need 11 KVA constant but that doesn't mean diddly to me if I'm truthful.
    Difference between 3 phase & single is 12,000 but i do have to take the wire about 150m from the transformer to the proposed new building so there would be a voltage drop I assume on single??

Newholland

12000 is very cheap for 3 phase! put the bigger 3 phase supply in and you will look back in 30 years time and be very glad you made the investment now. Dont mess about and do half a job.

Badshot

It cost me over 10k just to upgrade the transformer 10 years ago. Know someone who was quoted 70k to have a new 3 phase supply put in to a grain store. He bought a generator instead. For that money i'd put it in and know that bigger motors will be possible in the future and a lot cheaper and more reliable.

Exfarmer

if you are thinking of installing 6 robots I would have thought 17.5 K a small part of the investment
    What size compressors have you got on the tanks etc
    a few halogen lights about the place are going to take a few KV

there will be a voltage drop on any line
    The heftier the cable the less the drop

I would definitely go 3 phase
    I suspect that other all the tanks compressors will be a cheaper will cover most of this 12K

lordbonville

I was quoted a minimum of 150,000 for 3 phase for a site I am expanding.
    I am settling for a 200kVA 480V split phase supply for around 30k and then installing 3 twin to three phase converters to allow me to run with 3 phase motors for a mill/mix and liquid feeding system.
    I would have paid up to 50k for 3 phase.
    Get a bigger supply than you think you'll ever need. It may be expensive but will be to do only once. I know of a guy who has uprated his supply 3 times as he has expanded his poultry farm. Every time at a cost

Filthy Rich

Thanks for the replies.

3 phase it is then.

As others have noted on other threads when i did a search, the DNOs are robbin' b****ds as they have a total monoply and want all the money up front - "Cheque to accompany the signed acceptance form".
    I spoke to the guy I am dealing with yesterday in SP and tried to do a deal on a reduction in price if i guaranteed to stay with SP for the next 3 years. Told me that they no longer offer that deal as it's too easy to transfer your supplier these days.

Yes, i agree that the price looks ok ... perhaps it's got something to do with Anglesey being called an "Energy Island" as apparently a lot of farmers are installing 3 phase for their renewable projects

lamplighter2

is this for the cable and putting it in. if so why not buy the cable to the spec required. have a trench dug put cable in they connect there end you get sparky to connect your end . can get some good deals on cable

Badshot

It is special cable that normal sparks aren't allowed to use. They also are the only ones allowed to do it. It is a case of them or no one. Absolute rip off. Could dig the trench yourself, but thats it I think. Neighbour went the generator route instead at an outlying grainstore.

chips

The last thing you want is a single phase Lely compressor (Atlas copco ) go three phase for that reason alone

Reggie Hammond

Can I ask why 3-phase costs so much to install? We talked about building a new parlour and most people around us who have installed a new parlour also upgraded to 3-phase.

About 300m away we have overhead electric poles which carry 3 cables. Is that our 3-phase source if we needed to upgrade?

Exfarmer

normally if poles carry three cables they are 3 phase