Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C & F 50kw

mawleymoos

C & F 50kw

anybody bought one? if so, how far down the road are you, to getting it up and running?

BigAndy

Re: C & F 50kw

Quote Originally Posted by mawleymoos View Post
    anybody bought one? if so, how far down the road are you, to getting it up and running?
    they arnt even in MCS testing yet are they?

mawleymoos

I was told that they don't need accreditation, due to a large wind swept area! is this correct?

BigAndy

Quote Originally Posted by mawleymoos View Post
    I was told that they don't need accreditation, due to a large wind swept area! is this correct?
    News to me if so, as far as I know you have to have accreditation if you want to claim FITS. Maybe others will know more, ityourself may know for one.

lwkcroft

If the swept area is over 200 you don't need mcs or if it's just over 50kW. My concern with your turbine of choice is that they haven't had one spinning yet only tested the parts individually, no noise data so planning could be a problem. Better turbines on the market such as northwind 60kW WES 70kW Polaris 50kW endurance 50kW(really an 80kW for grid). Research is everything in this market just look at harbon as their turbine fell to bits.

Good luck and dont just listen to one person

castell

Is accredication required for over 50kw? I thought it was only needed to get FIT on sub 50.

kennyo

I was the same thing about swept area (From a VG saleman I know). No idea what the figure is.

BigAndy

Quote Originally Posted by castell View Post
    Is accredication required for over 50kw? I thought it was only needed to get FIT on sub 50.
    You could be right but thought they still had to be accredited of sorts, maybe not?

BigAndy

Found this previously which to me means 50KW and below need to be accredited but maybe if its 50kw they dont????
    http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/indu...ay-doubts-wind

However there are certain gripes about the current accreditation system that I sympathise with. For example, while small and medium wind turbines are expected to gain certification in order to be eligible for Feed-in Tariffs, turbines above 50kW don't have to undergo any accreditation at all. This seems like a bizarre gap in the certification, especially as the larger a turbine, the more significant investment a consumer has to make.

Steps need to be taken in order to bring the large wind turbines into some form of accreditation scheme. While MCS may not be appropriate for this, there are other certifications out there that will help, for example IEC61400-2. Again, the quality suppliers are engaged in this drive.

BigW

They dont need mcs accreditation, the swept area is to do with the blade diameter. We are putting in an application for one mainly to try and secure it for the future, dont think there is much info available on them yet.

fermerboy

C & F would be better to concentrate on getting all the ones they are putting up just now working properly before they start building the bigger ones.

BOB1

Quote Originally Posted by fermerboy View Post
    C & F would be better to concentrate on getting all the ones they are putting up just now working properly before they start building the bigger ones.
    Why ? are they having some problems

culphim78

My neighbours 20kw been stopped for a week now cf been out a few times it just won't go

BOB1

I must say I have not seen any C&F adverts recently claiming they are the best turbines in the world.

I hope you chaps with these machines installed or on order get these problems sorted, this forum seems a valuable source of infomation on the current situation

Best of luck

mawleymoos

we have planning in for a 50 at the moment, but I was wondering if they have installed any yet, or are any way near installing one?

karaforby

Quote Originally Posted by lwkcroft View Post
    If the swept area is over 200 you don't need mcs or if it's just over 50kW. My concern with your turbine of choice is that they haven't had one spinning yet only tested the parts individually, no noise data so planning could be a problem. Better turbines on the market such as northwind 60kW WES 70kW Polaris 50kW endurance 50kW(really an 80kW for grid). Research is everything in this market just look at harbon as their turbine fell to bits.

I'm a Harbon Wind Turbine owner and it is an excellent product. The turbine is currently undergoing a modification due to some problems experienced with our grid problems here. It's a beast of a machine and I now have planning for a second. I have to say that the backup from the company is second to none.

Farmer Brown

Is a Harbon an original design or is it based on some other design like a WES 18?

When you take a look at some designs you can see that they are sometimes just WES 18 internals with different rotors on them. Not that i think there is anything wrong with a WES.

karaforby

Smile Re: C & F 50kw

No, the Harbon doesn't look anything like a WES. It's a newly designed machine and it uses off the shelf components which is brilliant. Besides, the Harbon has 3 blades whereas the WES has 2. Here's a pic.

lwkcroft

Did the harbon turbine on the Scottish island of cuil not have serious issues at the end/beginning of the year?? That's good if your getting support from them as their are many manufacturers in the market who don't

mawleymoos

Quote Originally Posted by karaforby View Post
    I'm a Harbon Wind Turbine owner and it is an excellent product. The turbine is currently undergoing a modification due to some problems experienced with our grid problems here. It's a beast of a machine and I now have planning for a second. I have to say that the backup from the company is second to none.
    hi, I don't think that the Harbon was available at the time I done my research! what height is yours? and what output are you expecting, at what wind speed? how long is it up?

Farmer Brown

Where i was coming from is that is that the endurance 55kW has a generator and gearbox very similar to a WES 18 (which was originally a Lagerwey), thats why it peaks at 80kW. and there's an italian turbine that is a WES or lagerwey with different panels and a couple of others as well. just seen that WES have started building more sizes.

are harbon going to do other sizes?

cril

Quote Originally Posted by lwkcroft View Post

Which Harbon fell to pieces? What happened? Where can I find more info on that?

tjp

There was a Harbon on the Isle of Coll (west coast Scotland) that completely self destructed in the December storms.

karaforby

In answer to a few of your questions -
    For the record the turbine on the isle of Coll (west coast of Scotland) is mine. It was actually turned off and lowered at the end of January due to excessive wear on the rotor brake pads caused by multiple emergency stops due to irregularities with our power supply. The turbine is now back at the Harbon workshop having a brake upgrade, they assured me it will be back up and generating by the end of the month. I have no concerns as the company are always in contact and as i've said before the backup from them is brilliant.

To say that the turbine has completely self destructed is laughable but damaging, I just wish that people would just get their facts right before spilling rubbish. !

The machine is 18m. At least 230,000KWH at approx 8.4M/S. It went up just before Christmas and it was doing more than 1000KWH per day capped at 50KW. It was brilliant.

karaforby

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Brown View Post
    Where i was coming from is that is that the endurance 55kW has a generator and gearbox very similar to a WES 18 (which was originally a Lagerwey), thats why it peaks at 80kW. and there's an italian turbine that is a WES or lagerwey with different panels and a couple of others as well. just seen that WES have started building more sizes.

are harbon going to do other sizes?
    I think they are just concentrating on this 60KW and they have limited mine to 50KW but you can ask them.

BOB1

For the record the turbine on the isle of Coll (west coast of Scotland) is mine. It was actually turned off and lowered at the end of January due to excessive wear on the rotor brake pads caused by multiple emergency stops due to irregularities with our power supply. The turbine is now back at the Harbon workshop having a brake upgrade, they assured me it will be back up and generating by the end of the month. I have no concerns as the company are always in contact and as i've said before the backup from them is brilliant.

To say that the turbine has completely self destructed is laughable but damaging, I just wish that people would just get their facts right before spilling rubbish. !

The machine is 18m. At least 230,000KWH at approx 8.4M/S. It went up just before Christmas and it was doing more than 1000KWH per day capped at 50KW. It was brilliant.

Is your Windspeed at 18M 8.4M/S ? That is some breezy site!!!!

karaforby

Quote Originally Posted by BOB1 View Post
    Is your Windspeed at 18M 8.4M/S ? That is some breezy site!!!!
    Yes that's a calm day here, infact what we think here as just a passing breeze!!!!! This is the ultimate test site for any machine!!

Gee

Oooooohhhhh I just love those ones.........actually it was mine.......actually it was me........nice one!
    Gee

BOB1

Yes that's a calm day here, infact what we think here as just a passing breeze!!!!! This is the ultimate test site for any machine!!
    With those Windspeeds you really should only install a Class 1A Turbine these smaller machines are not going to last very long!!!

Did you get any warranty from the manufacturers?

mawleymoos

No, the Harbon doesn't look anything like a WES. It's a newly designed machine and it uses off the shelf components which is brilliant. Besides, the Harbon has 3 blades whereas the WES has 2. Here's a pic.
    what sort of base did you need for that ! is the tractor there for a reason? there is no way, that you used your tractor hyds, to put it up, is there? I have been told that C & F have made their 50kw hydraulic now! I don't know if this is stalling proceedures again or if they will be looking for more cash again! but wondering what type of base will need to go in for a 29m tower!