Thread: Info on the single chop harvesters

no-smoke-no-poke

Info on the single chop harvesters

Information is very limited on the single chop forage harvesters, In particular the Gyro, the JF & the Taarup yet they seem to be the most common. infact 26 of them cut with us in one field lastyear, & probably over 100 this year with the way things are lining up i have an idea that they were the late 50's early to mid 60's & that the DB Hurricane was one of the earilest but not a great success.

In Line with my previous threads on the Single Chop World Record and the History of Silage machinery demonstration
    http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62571
    http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62893

I'm looking for production years and model numbers for the following in particular

Taarup 43 inch, the 53 inch (which ones were the "Handy", was there an earlier version than the 43 inch)

JF (i think most of them were FH.....) prouction years again please, and model numbers

Nordsten Gyro

there were several other single chops i know, if you want to post your knowledge on these also it would be great.

joe soapy

Re: Info on the single chop harvesters

Quote Originally Posted by no-smoke-no-poke View Post
    Information is very limited on the single chop forage harvesters, In particular the Gyro, the JF & the Taarup yet they seem to be the most common. infact 26 of them cut with us in one field lastyear, & probably over 100 this year with the way things are lining up i have an idea that they were the late 50's early to mid 60's & that the DB Hurricane was one of the earilest but not a great success.

In Line with my previous threads on the Single Chop World Record and the History of Silage machinery demonstration
    http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62571
    http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62893

I'm looking for production years and model numbers for the following in particular

[B]Taarup[/B] 43 inch, the 53 inch (which ones were the "Handy", was there an earlier version than the 43 inch)

JF (i think most of them were FH.....) prouction years again please, and model numbers

Gyro

there were several other single chops i know, if you want to post your knowledge on these also it would be great.
    Early one hitched to front axel, and gearbox and shaft kept forager away from wheel, this was left connected to forager when dropping off
    Next edition connected with a round pipe slide into a tube, with gearbox left on tractor when dropping off.
    think the "handy" had a square box frame with integral pickup hook.

the 1060 was the fav tractor, as it had the most power amongst popular tractors untill the 5000 came out

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by joe soapy View Post
    Next edition connected with a round pipe slide into a tube, with gearbox left on tractor when dropping off.
    Cut a fair number of acres with one of these
    they were fine until we had to cut Kale
    trying to hook on to the forager in the middle of a sea of mud was not always quite as easy as the salesmen said
    Had it on the back of a DB 990
    it was a lot easier than the old mower and then chucking the kale on a flat trailer with a fork
    especially when there was snow on the ground
    mind you we still had to fork it into the trough
    it was a good machine and I never remember any problems with it
    eventually replaced with a Kydd double chop
    that had a habit of catching the stationery blade with the flywheel
    Replaced it with a New Holland double chop
    good machine

no-smoke-no-poke

Early one hitched to front axel, and gearbox and shaft kept forager away from wheel, this was left connected to forager when dropping off

the 1060 was the fav tractor, as it had the most power amongst popular tractors untill the 5000 came out
    good bit of info there on that thanks

anyone have a year of produce or any more info?

Penmoel

Quote Originally Posted by no-smoke-no-poke View Post
    good bit of info there on that thanks

anyone have a year of produce or any more info?

Grand parents bought a handy with a 5000 in 1968 and used it for about 8 years,if I remember right there was a support chain from the farside of the front of the machine to the front axle block of the tractor as well when putting it on.

A tough machine was riddled like pebbledash with stones going up it and the rest was rusting like hell following the AddF going through it.

joe soapy

Quote Originally Posted by Penmoel View Post
    Grand parents bought a handy with a 5000 in 1968 and used it for about 8 years,if I remember right there was a support chain from the farside of the front of the machine to the front axle block of the tractor as well when putting it on.

A tough machine was riddled like pebbledash with stones going up it and the rest was rusting like hell following the AddF going through it.
    dont think that would be a handy in 1968,, would be more like 78 when they came out

no-smoke-no-poke

dont think that would be a handy in 1968,, would be more like 78 when they came out
    the kidd double chop was out in 1967, i would imagine that its very possible for taarup to have had the handy in the 60's probably even before 68.. so is my intention to find out by the end of this anyways

Baker9

Dad bought a second hand Handy 43" in 1972 which we run on a DB 780, so they must have been available new in the 60s.

no-smoke-no-poke

Quote Originally Posted by Baker9 View Post
    Dad bought a second hand Handy 43" in 1972 which we run on a DB 780, so they must have been available new in the 60s.
    they definitely were & still available through till 1980 but when were they (individual models) introduced first is the question really

Exfarmer

our Tarrup model had the round tube for hitching
    dont remeber a tie to the front axle but may be wrong
    it had the gear box as said by OP which stayed on tractor
    and trailer was towed behind it
    fairly certain it came home in about 66
    must have purchased our first Kydd double chop in about 73
    Before the Taarup we had a JF but seem to remeber trouble with it

no-smoke-no-poke

anyone have brochures for them

Penmoel

Having thought a about it the tractor was new in 68 (reg HEJ192G), but the change to silage was not made till about 1972/73 when the forager was bought new and silage sides fitted to trailers by local metal worker Harold Winfield.

By 1978 the forager was replced by the new holland double chop

no-smoke-no-poke

have a green taarup built in 1959,a pics sent to me just there by email they have it from new in 1959 & its stamped on the harvester aswell..

its also for sale in Co. Armagh

right so taarup are now back as far as 59, JF were launched in 1960 & claim to be the first side mounted harvester

joe soapy

had to put new shafts for flails on ours, parts man said they were Krupps steel?.

they had an optional drive pulley available to accomodate tractors with raised pto speed