Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone got any tips on onland crawler ploughing with a dp1 (pics)

Rusty#1

anyone got any tips on onland crawler ploughing with a dp1 (pics)

first of all ive just joined up so want to say hi, second thing is ive got a fiat 100c and dp1 plough in my collection i want to have a go at using her in anger sometime, does anyone have any tips maybe on some maizeland soon then stubble in the summer,

also some pics of my btd6 and ransoms midtrac that my old chap ploughed 13 acres with last summer!!

RichardJW

Re: anyone got any tips on onland crawler ploughing with a dp1 (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty#1 View Post
    first of all ive just joined up so want to say hi, second thing is ive got a fiat 100c and dp1 plough in my collection i want to have a go at using her in anger sometime, does anyone have any tips maybe on some maizeland soon then stubble in the summer,

also some pics of my btd6 and ransoms midtrac that my old chap ploughed 13 acres with last summer!!

Scooby will be along shortly and is well versed in this

RichardJW

whats the history with the 100C, have you had it long?

nick

id say make a start and learn as you go along.never seen rolls like that before.very novel folding system.what make are they.and finally wellcome to our forum
    nick.....

RichardJW

This was a report from Power Farming a few (well, several, in fact) years ago.......

Rusty#1

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJW View Post
    whats the history with the 100C, have you had it long?
    hi had it for about 12 months it was in cambridge sale prior to that and they couldnt sell it for months and months then i think the vendor halfed the reserve and i had a day spare down after loading some stuff there when not many people where about so i got her going, there's nothing wrong with it and whats even better it owes me just above scrap value:lolk:, the tracks are worn but it'll only do a few weeks every year and wont loose any money!

CESSNA

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty#1 View Post

Thankyou for the pics Rusty,the Fiat100c and Dp1 plough looks a nice out fit,do hope you have great pleasure using it,NOT too frustrating till the boards get shone up.
    Out of interest ,to other guys as well, were the Fiat 70c and Fiat100c Crawlers quite reliable as regards engine and gearbox.Many years ago I remember a farmer (gentleman farmer )buying a brand new Fiat70c,Ransomes 6furrow Hexatrac Plough YL Bodies,and a Doe tool carrier all together,I used to so enjoy going and having a ride on the 70C,can remember the reasonably slow revving engine.

Rusty#1

[QUOTE=Scooby;860616]Welcome to the Forum Rusty. Actually I am a bit of a fraud on this. Although I have a Track Marshall 155 and a DP1 I have never ploughed with a DP1. I have a major project going on at the moment and won't be able to devote any time to setting it up and using it until the project is finished.

One thing that you do need to find out (if you haven't already) is whether a Fiat needs a plough with a double off-set as they were known. I am pretty certain Cats do but not sure about a Fiat. If you are struggling with this 'phone Dowdeswells. T: (01926) 812335
    They are very helpful down there and someone will be able to tell you.

If you send me a clear photo. of the serial no. of your plough from the plate that is on the headstock I will be able to give you some info. about it. Is yours on SCNs ?

hi scooby thanks for the reply, i know what you mean about too many projects!! ive got some more pics that i'll post in a bit, i know nothing about the plough other than its in good condition at 500 i think it was a bargin! i'm unsure about this double offset buisness i'll get a pic and the details of the data plate next time i'm in the yard(in the daylight), i doubt the fiat is any wider than your tm155? only thing its short of for ploughing but wont affect the bit i want to do is it doesnt hav hydraulics inderpendent droparms, regards russ

Rusty#1

hi scooby just been out to look at the serial number its 61434217 and 14inch furrow dont know type of bodies its on its dark lol, although i'm sure the fiat would also manage 6 furrows on our land its the levertons linkage that would let the job down!! there was a 6 furrow next to this one for similer money when i bought it at cheffins,

cessna its a lovely engine loads of torque very low down and lovely sound to it, to be fair its a good solid crawler with good servo assit slew clutches, i would think in there day they'd have been as relaible as anything

sals dad

hiya rusty you must know some one who has experience of on land ploughing
    , just don't ask foxy to set your plough ,seriously ive got the ransomes ploughing book which may be of some help .

martin..

Rusty#1

eh up martin hope mr fox doesnt get looking on here:lolk: yeah will hav a look at that book sometime if thats ok, hows the new yard man doing?!!

sals dad

mr F's got broad shoulders ( needs them with his -your choice of tractor :lolk Yard man seems ok at the moment .
    i'll find the book and bring it in .

martin ..

Rusty#1

thanks scooby ive learnt something new today !! the 6 furrow wasnt quite as tidy but was all there, there was also another dp1 with near as dam it brand new metal it wasnt sold they wanted 1k for it but it was older than this one think it was 12inch,

martin - nothing wrong with our colour choice, they all break down just funny how your colour choice does more than most(apart from the fast yellow ones:lolk::lolk tin hat on now running for cover

peasantman

Nice to see folks keeping our heritage alive.

I used to have a TM110 and DP1. I remember the bit about rolling it out at the end by lifting one arm first then the main lift rams. Keeping the track the right distance from the furrow edge came with practice. The rest of it is standard plough set up stuff. I think the skimmer bodies need to the right type for slow crawler ploughing - they should be - but sometimes people mix them up.

I did not find the steering easy - hydraulic system was a bit twitchy for my liking - not easy to correct a small wander without lurching.

Eventually sold the rig to a museum as I could not drive it for more than 3 days without having stomach acid problems due to the constant juddering (and the LH final drive was sounding a bit iffy).

Thank God for rubber tyres, but I have never had anything that could pull like that 110 since that time.

Hesston4860s

I used to plough our farm (150 acres) each year with a TM90 and a DP1 still got the plough, the crawler died and went for scrap which is where the plough will end up I should imagine.

svc

[QUOTE=peasantman;861837]Nice to see folks keeping our heritage alive.

I used to have a TM110 and DP1. I remember the bit about rolling it out at the end by lifting one arm first then the main lift rams. Keeping the track the right distance from the furrow edge came with practice. The rest of it is standard plough set up stuff. I think the skimmer bodies need to the right type for slow crawler ploughing - they should be - but sometimes people mix them up.

We have a dp1 double off set 7f behind a jd 8430t I have replaced the lower link drop arms with hy top links so we can roll the plough out and in at the ends. Driver always had tm before jd. Had 135 155 and then a 200 for our sins
    Have set the plough up to the gps steering (took a long time) now leave a very level finish with straight ends
    Thank God for rubber tyres, but I have never had anything that could pull like that 110 since that time.

Exfarmer

Looking at how that plough sits on your crawler I would think the offset is correct
    A double offset was needed for bigger wider machines as the track would need to sit in the furrow else
    Actually IH made a machine the BTD five with linkage which was designed to do just this with only 10 inch tracks I think
    The Fiats were a good machine, pains me to say it a notch above the TM although I am certain someone here will disagree
    if you have some half decent soil it will not take long to shine the boards
    I would be surprised if they are TCN there were not many about and I think you can put UCN metal on the same frog

RichardJW

Its surprising whats out and about there, hiding in the brimbles

Rusty#1

thanks for replys everyone, i'm hopeful its the right offset for the fiat as its not that wide, when i get it in action i'll post some pics,

how essential is it to roll the plough out of the furrow because the levertons linkage has standard droparms, and i would'nt have enough spools to put 2 rams inplace of the droparms and still turn the plough over,

would like a tm to go with it oneday, has anyone seen the white one on ebay, think he said it was 1 of 2 does anyone have anymore info on it?

coldrain

Quote Originally Posted by CESSNA View Post
    Thankyou for the pics Rusty,the Fiat100c and Dp1 plough looks a nice out fit,do hope you have great pleasure using it,NOT too frustrating till the boards get shone up.
    Out of interest ,to other guys as well, were the Fiat 70c and Fiat100c Crawlers quite reliable as regards engine and gearbox.Many years ago I remember a farmer (gentleman farmer )buying a brand new Fiat70c,Ransomes 6furrow Hexatrac Plough YL Bodies,and a Doe tool carrier all together,I used to so enjoy going and having a ride on the 70C,can remember the reasonably slow revving engine.

Fiat made very reliable crawlers with excellent engines, had a fiatallis ad7(industrial version fiat 90 4 pot long stroke engine) was a noisy bugger though with the oil bath air cleaner in the cab, bearing went in gearbox @ about 5-6000 hrs use on blade and rippers, sold it about 15 years ago.

CESSNA

Abit off subject,but am I correct in thinking that a steel track crawler is still the best tractor for Mole Draining (if anyone does any) and deep susoiling,and for that matter ploughing when Lias Clay/heavy land has had a drop of rain on it. Rubber tracks seem to spin pretty badly when the ground gets damp.

john63

We run a TM105 and a pair of TM90s in combination with a 5f DP1, a 4f DP1 and a set of 12ft Ransomes discs.

It can be a bit tricky getting to grips with the position on the land but becomes second nature after a while.

We have had a couple of problems with the tracks jumping or moving when turning with the plough lifted. Think it's probably due to the tracks wearing etc.

Also we have found that there is either loads and loads of grip or none at all. Logic would suggest that they should be good in the very wet but we find that the tracks just seem to sit there and spin and make a mess whereas a wheel tractor in the furrow would be able to get somewhere.

Have a video of ploughing with them...will have a dig about.

Nevertheless they are a very handy tool. The 90s in particular were much cheaper than any other 90hp tractor (and still are). The first 90 cost 1150 in 1991 and is probably worth about 900 ish now (with 2500 hrs ish). The second one cost 900 in 2004 I think (with 1800 hrs ish). The 105 was a bit more - 4k in 1997 I think and had to have a fair bit of gearbox work a couple of years later - probably stands us at 10k. Had to have the pins turned in the tracks last year (it's on around 5k hrs now IIRC) reckon that it was 500 or so.

Have got a video as well (sorry about the quality)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bHBV...94AUAAAAAAAAAA

MrNoo

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I have sent you a PM Hesston.
    Scooby there is a DP1 here for sale 900
    http://www.selftractors.com/other.html

MrNoo

Thanks very much Mr. Noo. Any idea where they are ? Got tel. no. but no address.

Suffolk, but where I know not!!!

ARTHUR LIVING

Fiat crawlers and Dp1 ploughs that takes me back. Chap I worked for had Fiat 100 and 805c, Fiat Allis Fa150 and 2 little Internationals to do a 1000 acres with. Fiat 100c had a lovely smooth 6 cylinder engine which would pull a house down at tick over. Never any bother with the gearbox but a previous 120c did rip out its final drive in a dry year. The biggest problem we had with it was it used to chew out the steering clutches very quickly if you had to feather them like trying to turn the 5 metre double press with gang rolls behind, went once whilst trying to plough around a pole in less than ideal conditions! 5 furrows are a nice comfortable load for a 100c on strong crawler land. Never ploughed more than 12" wide because the land would never break down again.

Ploughing on land is easy after a bit of prctice judging where you should be driving and your ploughing is always straight as you can always loose and gain abit with the front furrow. You always over react on the steering at first but you soon settle down. The first time I ploughed with the Allis it was like I was skiing down the field!

We had two useable dp1 5 furrow ploughs, one for spares, a dp4hd ( i think) 7 furrow and a dp7b for the wheeled tractors for off lying little fields / tidying up etc,

Would never buy or drive an 805c out of choice, sat with your legs either side of a red hot transmission with the heaviest steering controls of any crawler I have driven. Would pull a 5 furrow at a push but was better at top work being on the same size tracks but less than half the weight.

Best possible way of ploughing in extreme conditions with a crawler is to chain a wheeled tractor on the front. As long as the tracks have decent cleats and is well ballasted it will always pull the plough until the point you want to correct the steering and you loose grip. The wheeled tractor doesnt need to pull hard, just keep the crawler heading in the right direction.

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by MrNoo View Post
    Suffolk, but where I know not!!!
    Creeting St. Mary.

RichardJW

Quote Originally Posted by john63 View Post
    We have had a couple of problems with the tracks jumping or moving when turning with the plough lifted. Think it's probably due to the tracks wearing etc.
    John, I expect you already are aware of this.....when the tracks are worn then they have more chance of coming off or jumping in reverse turns - like turning on the ends and swinging the plough over, the chain is pulled tight up over the top and all the slack is on the bottom and if your pins are a bit sloppy it will snake and come off the rollers

john63

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJW View Post
    John, I expect you already are aware of this.....when the tracks are worn then they have more chance of coming off or jumping in reverse turns - like turning on the ends and swinging the plough over, the chain is pulled tight up over the top and all the slack is on the bottom and if your pins are a bit sloppy it will snake and come off the rollers
    Yep well we've stopped ploughing with the worst of the two 90s now and just use it on the discs for this reason. We are also more careful when turning with the others and do 2 45deg turns rather than one long 90deg turn IYSWIM. Having said that we have never had a track come off but think we might have been a bit close a few times . I guess there is a lot of weight on the back end when the plough is lifted. We found it was worse when the land was drier as I guess the cleats found it more difficult to turn in the ground.

RichardJW

Quote Originally Posted by john63 View Post
    . We found it was worse when the land was drier as I guess the cleats found it more difficult to turn in the ground.
    Yes, quite likely......and probably the mud takes up a little bit of the slack in the chains as well

Do you know if you can still get running gear for Track Marshalls?

RichardJW

Yes, either Robert Crawford or Frank Medforth. The latter advertises every week in the FW and both are decent blokes to deal with. When I bought my TM155 I decided to have the pins & bushes turned, even though they didn't need doing at 3000 hours. So I sent the tracks etc. up to Frank Medforth and he turned the pins & bushes and rebolted the track plates on with new bolts, sorted out the new sprockets and I had a bottom roller that needed attention and he sorted that out for me as well.
    OK, wasn't sure if the links/chains were available from other suppliers or what the closest match was.
    Are the sprockets bolt-on segments or can you weld rims on?
    Frank did some D4 rollers up for me a few years ago, he's Humberside area, isn't he?....I just put the bits on a pallet and sent them