Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone got any tips on onland crawler ploughing with a dp1 (pics)

RichardJW

Re: anyone got any tips on onland crawler ploughing with a dp1 (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Just thought of something else Rusty if this is your first time with tracks.

If you're ploughing and getting a lot of mud in your tracks because of the conditions make sure you get most of it out at night before you go home if it is going to freeze hard. I knew a bloke once who chewed the back-end out of a B100 Drott because he has left it a couple of days in very frosty weather and then started the old girl up and stuck into gear and let her go ! Very expensive. :cry:

Always a good idea in frosty weather to just inch forward & backward for a few minutes. It usually drops out if you do that.

Just though I would mention it.
    do you have the cut-outs in your plates?

Big Vern

Just thought of something else Rusty if this is your first time with tracks.

If you're ploughing and getting a lot of mud in your tracks because of the conditions make sure you get most of it out at night before you go home if it is going to freeze hard. I knew a bloke once who chewed the back-end out of a B100 Drott because he has left it a couple of days in very frosty weather and then started the old girl up and stuck into gear and let her go ! Very expensive. :cry:

Always a good idea in frosty weather to just inch forward & backward for a few minutes. It usually drops out if you do that.

Just though I would mention it.
    we dont have a lot of stell track ploughing in somerset, but do "they" say that if its going to freeze hard you should park your crawler on sleepers or is that a myth??
    thought id just ask coz scooby and a few others are clearly the gurus with this topic..

RichardJW

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    we dont have a lot of stell track ploughing in somerset, but do "they" say that if its going to freeze hard you should park your crawler on sleepers or is that a myth??
    thought id just ask coz scooby and a few others are clearly the gurus with this topic..
    I seen that quoted about leaving them on sleepers in the hyd. excavator Ops manuals and thought it was more aimed at those working in extremely wet/swampy conditions and then heavy frosts....such as Siberia, Alaska or Dartmoor......Dig the tracks out and then put it up on the blocks.

RichardJW

There were also street plates available to stop some of the damage being done by the tracks. I have never seen any of these and so I made some which, while being quite successfull, are a bit of a pain to take on and off. I put them on every 3rd plate.

Regards - David.
    Hi David,

What did you make them out of?......would be handy for tripping across tarmac

Richard

Rusty#1

Turning into a interesting thread this, has anyone else seen the white tm 90 on ebay its been on there a while but now getting too cheap to ignore, looks quite rough but its all there, the ad says there was a 3 painted different colours white,red and blue for i think it said the royal show, does anyone have any pics of these from back in the day? Regards russ

d4c24a

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty#1 View Post
    Turning into a interesting thread this, has anyone else seen the white tm 90 on ebay its been on there a while but now getting too cheap to ignore, looks quite rough but its all there, the ad says there was a 3 painted different colours white,red and blue for i think it said the royal show, does anyone have any pics of these from back in the day? Regards russ
    i had a look at it last night , would be a good restoration project for some one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/track-mars...#ht_963wt_1341

as Richard has said ,when extreme temps are likely put them up on sleepers / blocks etc and a good clean out is a must too

mega2

I was once talking to the driver of a large cat who told me it was the only one he had driven that did not need to be parked on sleepers or straw in the frost as it had enough power to fetch the ground with it if it was frozen down, which he said was an impressive sight. I do not know how big the cat was but he was ploughing with 10 furrows in the late 1980's. RB would probably have anyone doing this shot for cruelty!

Exfarmer

We always used to park the crawler on straw for this situation
    Then in the morning often set fire to it to try and wamr the poor thing up
    Being a BTD 6 with indirect injection it was always very poor starter
    favourite trick a flaming rag under the air intake

nick

wasent pat pending in the wacky races(cartoon in the 70s for those of a certain age)ha ha
    nick........

Rusty#1

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    We always used to park the crawler on straw for this situation
    Then in the morning often set fire to it to try and wamr the poor thing up
    Being a BTD 6 with indirect injection it was always very poor starter
    favourite trick a flaming rag under the air intake
    all my btd6/614 etc have the glow plug conversion, much better than the originals, that btd6 in the pics will start 1st time after 40second of heat, although it smokes its head off for a minute after then it clears totally, the bd264/281 are really strange engines to watch start from cold and watch run clear after 1 min,

will start a new thread tonight on crawlers in genral not just ploughing i think as there seems to be a lot of people interested in classic crawlers

Kevindb880

Wink Re: anyone got any tips on onland crawler ploughing with a dp1 (pics)

Evening All
    Nice to read an interesting thread at last,makes a Change to read about real crawlers and not these modern rubber band powered machines.
    The farm where I work used to have a TM 120 when I first worked there must be 27 years ago,always remember it ploughing with a 5 furrow Dowdeswell DP1.It was the only time some of really stiff headlands under some of our woods where ploughed properly, sometimes Pete the driver would say it was so tough that he didn't have a low enough gear and it was case of dipping the clutch and having another goe! None of that now with wheeled tractors you have to use manual draft control or dig four holes!!
    Keep it coming.
    Kevin

Hayman

If tracks are worn avoid steep sided slopes. With County Ploughman pulling trailer of sugar beet ran one track up on bankside to get traction thrugh muddy gateway. Track came off bottom rollers and tractor slid down down bank, not much but a pig of a job with jacks, sleepers, Field Marshalls and winches to sort it out.

RichardJW

some extracts from the 1970s on the subject

essexpete

Sorry for distraction but have any of you crawler buffs seen this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1306576521...84.m1438.l2648

d4c24a

Hi Richard great clippings , interesting to read the TD18 re-engined with a Gardner 6LW

cheers graham

Rusty#1

+1. Thanks Richard.
    +2 great clippings thanks for taking the time to post on here,

That tm135 looks nice, very clean for the money,

Anyone seen the fiat 80c on ebay,? if only funds allowed!!

RichardJW

Thanks. I hope you can read it clearly enough.

I looked back through the old hard drive to try & find something with larger print but found nothing. For anyone with an old archive I've an idea it was from something like March 1977 edition of Power Farming

Track Marshall

Be interesting to see if it had the modification.
    how do you tell if its been modified??, was it something like the sprockets were dished the other way if it had been done

RichardJW

Quote Originally Posted by Track Marshall View Post
    how do you tell if its been modified??, was it something like the sprockets were dished the other way if it had been done
    Thats a good question......and what exactly was upgraded inside?

RichardJW

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty#1 View Post

Anyone seen the fiat 80c on ebay,? if only funds allowed!!
    Yes, think they are bit optimistic on price though....can you still get the parts for them nowadays?

john432

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJW View Post
    Thats a good question......and what exactly was upgraded inside?
    My Track Marshall 155 has the same cab as the one on ebay, therefore one of the first TM135's being the cab with the "top hat" . It has a second serial number plate on the battery box with .

Tractor serial number 1450609
    Latest Differential,Final Drives and Track Recoil fitted 1987
    Track Marshall of Gainsborough Ltd

Read an article about the early ones blowing diffs, and rear axle shafts and bearings due to handling heavy ploughs, the modified ones have a wider "axle" hence the dished drive sprokets are put on with the hump outwards. makes sense? Scooby will be allong soon to explain better.

john432

Before I finished

Rusty#1

Yes, think they are bit optimistic on price though....can you still get the parts for them nowadays?
    Richard not sure on the parts front, ive never had to buy anything other than filter for the 100c, i would imagin parts would be available from italy? Yes maybe a tad optimistic on price as the tm135 on ebay would be far better value if its all together! And working as it should,

RichardJW

TM155 for sale here for anyone interested......and in their list is also a Fiat 1355C

http://www.jbrockandsons.com/machinery/details/4-10655

jcb 410

once drove a tm 135 years ago,seemed to be impossible to work along a side slope,crawler just kept wanting to nose dive down the hill,any one else used one in this situation?

john63

Quote Originally Posted by john432 View Post
    Read an article about the early ones blowing diffs, and rear axle shafts and bearings due to handling heavy ploughs, the modified ones have a wider "axle" hence the dished drive sprokets are put on with the hump outwards. makes sense? Scooby will be allong soon to explain better.
    Our 105 smashed the diff and I think that the 135s and 155s also had this problem hence part of the upgrade? IIRC it was due to the torque loadings with people running them in the bottom couple of gears when ploughing etc?

RichardJW

Quote Originally Posted by jcb 410 View Post
    once drove a tm 135 years ago,seemed to be impossible to work along a side slope,crawler just kept wanting to nose dive down the hill,any one else used one in this situation?
    The TMs have a differential and then steering brakes, whereas others use a pinion to fixed shaft with clutch and brakes, they will go straight ahead until you pull the lever

jcb 410

The TMs have a differential and then steering brakes, whereas others use a pinion to fixed shaft with clutch and brakes, they will go straight ahead until you pull the lever

i see,very frustrating,sure the big weight on the front didn't help either.
    think ill stick with wheels an rubber!!

Track Marshall

some people are born to drive a crawler

[YOUTUBE]MeXpVQq7pDs[/YOUTUBE]

john432

John, your TM was the 9th 135 made. It will be a 1980 machine or possibly a very early 1981. Obviously modified in 1987 which is when the 155s were introduced. Does yours have a turbo. on it ?
    Yes has the turbo perkins 6-354 , Did some of the early ones have a none turbo engine?