Thread: New discs for Kuhn. Now what ? Confused in Canada

New discs for Kuhn. Now what ? Confused in Canada

Hi I have a Kuhn Axis 40 W in Canada. No experience with these. I have new disc, S8 and am wondering how to proceed with spreading a urea product which is unknown on the calibration charts and the app. I am trying for a 120 foot, 36 meter spread. I don't know(I assume) how far it will throw the stuff so I guess I should set it for 36.5 which I have and drive and see how far it goes? Now I know it tapers off at the edges and some overlap is necessary but how do you know where to measure the spread width?

Re: New discs for Kuhn. Now what ? Confused in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by wetfarmer View Post
    Hi I have a Kuhn Axis 40 W in Canada. No experience with these. I have new disc, S8 and am wondering how to proceed with spreading a urea product which is unknown on the calibration charts and the app. I am trying for a 120 foot, 36 meter spread. I don't know(I assume) how far it will throw the stuff so I guess I should set it for 36.5 which I have and drive and see how far it goes? Now I know it tapers off at the edges and some overlap is necessary but how do you know where to measure the spread width?
    You could always start at the beginning and put some fertiliser in the hopper, open the slides to a variety of settings whilst catching the fertiliser which comes out in a 30 second period , double it for 1 minute and repeat as said before for various settings. Now you know how much comes out in a minute you find out how fast the tractor goes in a variety of gears, so to do that you need to measure out a 50 metre stretch, then drive the tractor one direction, turn around and drive back having timed yourself between the 50 metre markers , this gets you the time to travel 100 metres. Then you need to do a tray test with the fertiliser when driving at a sensible sowing speed with trays out either side of centre to 20-25 metres. This will then show you where your application starts to tail off to get your overlap. After that you use maths and formulas to calculate your application rate at different speeds and/or aperture setting. Can't remember them atm, might get a chance later to look them up. I set up a spreadsheet on computer to make my own calibration charts using this technique for my wee spinner for different products from slug pellets to wheat etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    You could always start at the beginning and put some fertiliser in the hopper, open the slides to a variety of settings whilst catching the fertiliser which comes out in a 30 second period , double it for 1 minute and repeat as said before for various settings. Now you know how much comes out in a minute you find out how fast the tractor goes in a variety of gears, so to do that you need to measure out a 50 metre stretch, then drive the tractor one direction, turn around and drive back having timed yourself between the 50 metre markers , this gets you the time to travel 100 metres. Then you need to do a tray test with the fertiliser when driving at a sensible sowing speed with trays out either side of centre to 20-25 metres. This will then show you where your application starts to tail off to get your overlap. After that you use maths and formulas to calculate your application rate at different speeds and/or aperture setting. Can't remember them atm, might get a chance later to look them up. I set up a spreadsheet on computer to make my own calibration charts using this technique for my wee spinner for different products from slug pellets to wheat etc.
    It's mainly discovering the actual spread width that I am having trouble with. I suppose I should buy the kit I see on the website containing the trays? Or can I count granules per square meter or something . Our urea comes from a different source each year, sometimes Russian , sometimes American and so on. I have the machine set to spread at 36.5 meters but I need to know how to judge the ACTUAL spread width I am getting.I am maxed out on the width setting to get the 36.5. Maybe I am better to go for less width so I am not maxed out? Eyeballing it seems to be asking for trouble to me.

You could try this online chart service?

https://streutabellen.rauch-community.de/kuhntabelle/

We have the same machine but with S6 discs ( I think) When setting spread width we like to see a few prills of fertiliser landing in the next tram line. ie if you are spreading at 24m it will actually be throwing it 48m wide.
    When we last spread Urea, could have been Egyptian Urea, it would not throw it to the next tram line. The prills were large but light, kind of like ping pong balls so we cut the distance from 24m down to 18m. When we tray tested the spreader with this fert we were still getting an even spread at 24m even though it didn't have a full double overlap so we went back to 24m without any issues.
    From our experience i would guess 36m might be pushing it a bit but i am sure there will be someone somewhere doing it successfully.

You could get someone else to drive machine. You stand at next tramlines
    and you'll soon see how far spread is.