Thread: Ripping grass up

Michael Greenberro

Ripping grass up

We are just about to rip up 35ac of grass thats going into spring oats and can not decide whether to run the shakerator in front of the plough to make the plough easier to pull, or would we cause more of an issue as the last time we tried this the plough struggled to turn over and bury the grass where it was moved. The soil is not in a great condition and needs both a deeper tine to bust it and plough to turn it over for a fresh start. The grass has been down for about 12 years and been poorly looked after since. At my disposal I have a shakerator, plough, sumo trio, power harrow drill and vaderstad rapid. I'd rather spend some money now on getting it right while we have more time so come the autumn it will go into a first wheat.

Andrew Kerr

Re: Ripping grass up

I would expect it to plough badly if you shakaerate first.

Why not put the plough in and see what happens.How much trash will your drill cope with?

Soil loosening is a summer job IMO, unless extremely dry!

Forage Trader

Roundup then plough

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    I would expect it to plough badly if you shakaerate first.

Why not put the plough in and see what happens.How much trash will your drill cope with?

Soil loosening is a summer job IMO, unless extremely dry!

Dryer now than lots of summers Andrew! I would agree that ploughing after loosening could be a mess. Just doing 50 acres myself - waiting for the wind to drop to spray it.

BSH

Better to do it after ploughing than before. When I shakerated first before now I found I ended up with turf that didnt turn over well . I have just done it this year the otherway round and it worked much better.

mega2

If it needs busting then subsoil first, powerharrow to reduce size of the lumps of sod then you may be able to plough it. Not effient but it usually works

Bog Man

I never plough grass now I just spray off the sod shallow till and sow spring rape. We got shy of 1.5 tonnes to the acre on 50 acres last year and it is a good entry for Winter wheat in a few months time .
    If I was ploughing it I would plough it first before ripping . With the cost of diesel I avoid ploughing .

An Gof

Rather you than me trying to plough permanent pasture after you have put a shakerator through it

Big Vern

can you get hold of a rotovator i know its a tediously dull job but will certainly help with burying of trash when you plough it..

round up it
    roto it plough it
    sumo or sub soil

it will plough up in great big bricks if you rip it first.. more so i would think if you are on heavier land..

Milkloss

If you are not careful pulling tines through it after ploughing will bring the turf up. Don't slice it before ploughing though because the turf won't get buried well either. Personally I would plough it deep as poss and then shallow tine it to level out and get rid of the undulations.

It can be a nightmare if you bring old grass back to the top dead or alive and will suppress the new seeds.

Seat Right Back

although not a pemanent ley we have taken our IRG out with the trio in the last couple of years , although we managed the regrowth so that there was little there for the trio to chop up , went through twice and I think we have done a good job , harvest will tell ,

Ognob

Quote Originally Posted by Bog Man View Post
    I never plough grass now I just spray off the sod shallow till and sow spring rape. We got shy of 1.5 tonnes to the acre on 50 acres last year and it is a good entry for Winter wheat in a few months time .
    If I was ploughing it I would plough it first before ripping . With the cost of diesel I avoid ploughing .
    this one gets my vote - don't disturb the mat of vegeattion too much; the OSR will do a great job of allowing it to break down; then I'd sumo it after harvest and get your wheat in to a really good start. suffun like that

Michael Greenberro

We sprayed it off back in January and its done a good job to be honest. In the end we have ploughed it at 12 inches and left 24 hours before rolling. I think when it comes to it we will combi drill the crop in and roll again, so four passes is not ideal but I think we have got away with it to be honest as it could of been a whole lot worse.