Thread: Sticky starter and chewed ring gear teeth

Sticky starter and chewed ring gear teeth

Looked at the starter on our Tier 3 sisu MF6499 recently. Its been occasionally grinding teeth when cold as the starter tries to engage with the ring gear, it also seemed to be not picking up and firing properly on a couple of mornings during the 1st start of the day, both symptoms only seemed to happen when its cold, once up and away it seemed better.

I removed the geared up type starter and could see that the armature pinion shaft had a grey sheen from the remains of the grease which had dried out like a sort of teflon coating. It just made the pinion stick rather than sliding up and down the shaft as it should, I could also see where the pinion had ground away flywheel teeth in the 3 positions where the flywheel would stop eventually as pistons came up to compression.

The starter required simply stripping down into its major components so I could get the armature out, clean off the film of dried grease and then reassemble it with a wee bit of lubrication- that had it working well again, now it was time to look at the ring gear. Using a pointed 1/4" carbide arbour in the air die grinder it took about 10 min to do the 3 groups of teeth putting a slight slope back on the teeth which matches up with the pinion teeth so they slide past one another and slide into mesh easily.

Then stick the starter back on and see how it goes. Starting was back to the original non grinding affair, turn key and bingo it was up and running, as for the half hearted picking up of revs- there was no sign of that yet.

The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: Sticky starter and chewed ring gear teeth

Nice work

I hope the dental work is successful - replacing a ring gear is a mongrel job

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

I could also see where the pinion had ground away flywheel teeth in the 3 positions where the flywheel would stop eventually as pistons came up to compression.

You want six of these to stop that happening

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=49

Quote Originally Posted by Maico490 View Post
    I could also see where the pinion had ground away flywheel teeth in the 3 positions where the flywheel would stop eventually as pistons came up to compression.

You want six of these to stop that happening

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=49

And I added one of these- http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...lX6tBX1OOCQ2o0
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Hmm.. not sure about the efficacy of that Elbow Grease. I suggest anyone contemplating ordering get confirmation in writing first that it contains Bunyip Extract. Although the pic invites clicking for a larger image, that did not work, which makes me more dubious since it is impossible to read the label.

I know Elbow Grease in it's traditional formula has been around a while, but I have it on the very best authority that the Bunyip Extract near enough to doubles it's efficacy. Adds to the price of course, (Bunyip Extract is hard to produce and is normally available only in very small quantities coz of the Bunyip being restricted to southern NSW/ northern Victoria) and the low price quoted further adds to my concern.

Regrettably, I cannot suggest a source of the Good Stuff (it's common name) coz it's quite a while since I saw any - and I doubt if the manufacturer has caught up with internet advertising. Just keep your eyes peeled; it might be located with the Ergs, Amps & Ohms).

JV

PS Can't comment on the piston return spring; never had need of one. The pistons in all my engines seem to work ok without.
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper