Thread: solar panel recycling?

sid

solar panel recycling?

Anyone got a rough figure of how much they're going to cost to dispose of after there working life?

Heard today they contact a hazardous material at the end of there lifespan? any ideas?

Exfarmer

Re: solar panel recycling?

Usual b*******s nothing hazardous about silica

mf6480

they still be producing somthing after 25years anyway. hardly a waste. but i know what you mean, someone always trying to get a cut

R Wornham

If as has been said elsewhere panels will be producing at about 80% of there potential after 25 years what will be the point of even thinking of recycling.

seedman stains

25 yrs a long time me thinks who knows,I will only know that when time comes but as yet, as long as the sunshines and the counter ticks and the slim balance is in my favour i wont lose any sleep.

honest john

Hi All.
    How would one dispose of 26,000 panels?

RGSP

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    Hi All.
    How would one dispose of 26,000 panels?
    Strip off aluminium frames, crush the rest for aggregate. No problem, but why should you want to?

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by RGSP View Post
    Strip off aluminium frames, crush the rest for aggregate. No problem, but why should you want to?
    If i am alive in 25/30 years i may need to find out.
    So lay them out on the concrete run a roller over them. Pick out the ally scoop the rest up with loader.
    Build up your farm roads. Emm

Aceface

I have been to the Ecobuild Show today at the Excel Exhibition centre, where I asked the question of how to dispose of the panels at their end of life to several of the many PV manufactuers present. Firstly they all said that most of the manufactuers had signed up to the industry sponsored recycling scheme (called PVR or some such name) and in any case everything can be recycled even the wafers which can be recycled back in to PV again. Of the question is there any thing toxic in them one person thought that there may be a small amount of lead solder, but that can also be recycled. So it would seem they will have a value to someone as scrap in hopefully 25 to 40 years time.

RGSP

Quote Originally Posted by Aceface View Post
    I have been to the Ecobuild Show today at the Excel Exhibition centre, where I asked the question of how to dispose of the panels at their end of life to several of the many PV manufactuers present. Firstly they all said that most of the manufactuers had signed up to the industry sponsored recycling scheme (called PVR or some such name) and in any case everything can be recycled even the wafers which can be recycled back in to PV again. Of the question is there any thing toxic in them one person thought that there may be a small amount of lead solder, but that can also be recycled. So it would seem they will have a value to someone as scrap in hopefully 25 to 40 years time.
    All very praiseworthy, but I suspect it's a bit like recycling glass: it's cheaper and more energy efficient to start with sand and lime rather than try and deal with lots of different sorts of glass. Recycling glass is a considerable nonsense.
    There are very small amounts of arsenic and phosphorus in cells, as well as the silicon substrate, and aluminium connections, but all are at levels where if the cells were ground into paste, they wouldn't hurt you more than a Tescos slurry burger. The connections are normally welded rather than soldered (for reliability and cheapness) but even on soldered ones, the amount is small enough to ignore if crushed and used in concrete or as road surfacing material.

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by Aceface View Post
    Thanks for that.
    Like all recycling fridges cars machinery its at a cost.
    I like the idear of crushing them recycling the ally and useing the rest in concrete.
    John,