Thread: Lambing tunnel

Getupthatyard

Lambing tunnel

hi folks,
    I'm thinkin about putting up a mushroom tunnel for lambing.
    was looking at something along these lines with the 3' high mesh along the bottom for ventilation.

http://www.northernpolytunnels.co.uk...ep-houses.html

http://www.polybuild.com/Gallery_Livestock_Sheep.html

wondering if anyone has used these and what are your views on them?
    also if anyone has any idea on prices, can put it up myself and all other work needs done to it. thinkin along the lines of 100'X30'.
    any and all advice greatly appreciated,
    thanks

NeilO

Re: Lambing tunnel

I have two 150' x 30' Polybuild tunnels, the first going up in 1993. They make excellent sheep housing, but not a lot of use for anything else.

The second one went up in 2000, which cost 5k erected & with aluminium gutters on both sides. Ongoing costs are 500 or so for resheeting (by contractor) every 5-6 years or so. At that time, I reckoned it was about half the price of a light portal frame building of equivalent size.

Getupthatyard

thanks neilo,

was thinking of putting up a handling system inside for the rest of the year then take it down and use the tunnel for the lambing season in spring (mid march-mid april).
    be able to work with sheep whatever the weather then (hopefully) .

peregrine

Old Tip

Brother got one from Northern a few years back, we put it up and sheeted our selves, didnt take long and he is well pleased with it. When its not full of sheep he stores hay and straw in it plus it makes a great wood shed for storing logs in tattie boxs. Just dont let cattle any where near it and it will last for years, just resheted the brothers and its lasted 9 years. He also bought a second hand one and put it up a few years later still going strong but it cost more than the new one if you costed your time taking down and re erecting.

OT

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by Getupthatyard View Post
    thanks neilo,

was thinking of putting up a handling system inside for the rest of the year then take it down and use the tunnel for the lambing season in spring (mid march-mid april).
    be able to work with sheep whatever the weather then (hopefully) .
    It's berluddy hot in their on a hot, still day in August. I had the bright idea of trimming rams in their once and ended up with a couple of pedestal fans as well as gallons of drinking water.

Getupthatyard

was thinkin more wet miserable days than hot days. wouldn fancy it on a hot day, be like a sauna !

there's a lot of mushroom tunnels around here that arent used anymore (i.e. no plastic on them) so might approach a few fellas to see if they'd sell one.

neilo, have you concrete floor or earth floor in your tunnels?

Getupthatyard

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
    they look a great job, thats exactly what i'm thinkin on, something like the cheviot 10000 on their webpage.

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by Getupthatyard View Post
    was thinkin more wet miserable days than hot days. wouldn fancy it on a hot day, be like a sauna !

there's a lot of mushroom tunnels around here that arent used anymore (i.e. no plastic on them) so might approach a few fellas to see if they'd sell one.

neilo, have you concrete floor or earth floor in your tunnels?
    An earth floor bakes as hard as concrete over the summer. No need to even stone it.

Secondhand tunnels are quite cheap, if you are prepared to do the work of moving them. If the anchors are concreted in, then you'll have to factor in the cost of new ones.

Try and get one with wide shoulders if you can, half an oval rather than a semi-circle IYSWIM. They make it a lot easier to work at the sides and clean out.

Getupthatyard

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    An earth floor bakes as hard as concrete over the summer. No need to even stone it.

Secondhand tunnels are quite cheap, if you are prepared to do the work of moving them. If the anchors are concreted in, then you'll have to factor in the cost of new ones.

Try and get one with wide shoulders if you can, half an oval rather than a semi-circle IYSWIM. They make it a lot easier to work at the sides and clean out.
    think i know what your sayin, have a vertical bit at both ends of each hoop about 3'-4' high. instead of having hoops meeting the ground at an angle.

no bother doing the work of taking it down and throwing it up again, can always make up anchors myself if needs be and maybe put an extra 3'-4' on ends of poles to give it a shoulder like you mentioned.

great news about the floor, be a big saving on readymix

kennyo

we have a small (12mx6m) fruit tunnel in the garden for veggies. Couple of things I have learned from it and the fruit growers I know.

Make sure your drainage is correct. Need something to catch the run off or you will get water seeping back into tunnel.

The higher you make the tunnel shoulders the weaker it will become so watch out for wind.

Getupthatyard

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo View Post
    we have a small (12mx6m) fruit tunnel in the garden for veggies. Couple of things I have learned from it and the fruit growers I know.

Make sure your drainage is correct. Need something to catch the run off or you will get water seeping back into tunnel.

The higher you make the tunnel shoulders the weaker it will become so watch out for wind.
    thanks kennyo,
    will be putting in 4" perforated piping along both sides of tunnel and backfilling trench with gravel, rainwater run off into gravel trench and piping take it away thats the plan anyway!

see how it goes, chasing up where to get a frame today, few more fellas t ring tomorrow an hopefully have frame got shortly!

won't be anything, building wise, done until summer