Thread: How much N in the seed bed

sandersj89

How much N in the seed bed

Morning

How much N do people put into the seed bed for both feed and malting spring barley.

Not grown malting before so on a learning curve.

Feed barley will be going into fields that haver had a dose of sewage sludge applied pre plough.

Thanks
    Jerry

CORK

Re: How much N in the seed bed

I wouldnt incorporate too much of your N in the seedbed (no more than 30kg/Ha).

If you get heavy rain before this can be properly utilised it will be wasted resulting in reduced yield and reduced grain N (protein). Particularly on light soils.

I would be a fan of getting some P & K in the seedbed however.

A lot of research going on over here in terms of N use for malting barley, a lot of Irish growers are having trouble getting the N in their malting barley high enough for malt. High yields & continous arable rotations are being partly blamed.

sandersj89

Quote Originally Posted by CORK View Post
    I wouldnt incorporate too much of your N in the seedbed (no more than 30kg/Ha).

If you get heavy rain before this can be properly utilised it will be wasted resulting in reduced yield and reduced grain N (protein). Particularly on light soils.

I would be a fan of getting some P & K in the seedbed however.
    Interesting, my agronomist is saying bang on the all the AS at drilling, 165kg/ha and then top dress with the balance (Nitram) later. Big dif to your figure of 30kg/ha.

(We are putting P&K on prior to drilling as you suggest)

He is then suggesting Nitram top dress in the region of 200kg/ha for the feed and 140kg/ha for the malting as the sludge offers about 30kg/ha of N to the crop this year.

Thanks

gone up the hill

Depends what is in the shed at the time but i normally put 100 kilos of 25.5.5 in the seed bed / acre ( 50 units of N ) (p+k indices fine) plus the ground has had a plastering of muck prior to drilling..

Spring barley needs to get away asap..

When it is up in rows then another 50 units/acre of N goes on ( again what type depends what is in the shed )

super4

Better to get it in well than faf around broadcasting n in the seed bed, unless the forcast and time on your side. If plenty of rain expected then surely will soon wash in. Personally always put some all on once can see the tramlines. Always get malting thus far.

Chae

We put 2.7 cwt of 10.26.26 + S down spout. Then make up rest as soon as tramlines visible.

mr tree

Get the N on as soon as you can see down tramlines (95-100 units) old money.

You'll get the malt then as it will be utilised early during early growth stages and tillering.The important thing with S barley is get it in nice and early on land that will allow this-this is 1/2 the battle of growing it.

We have been growing malt now on ELS ground for a good some years and think we have now got the hang of achieving yield and malt.Remember that with S Barley malt is critical as you wont get the yield of Winter barley.When you get the malt and good yield i think it beats wheat for margin.

Good luck

clover

40 units down spout and 60 units once tramlines are visible.

TAG Direct

What's more likley after sowing spring barley? heavy rain or drought? Get a load in after drilling or as soon as tramlines visible.

sandersj89

Drilling to day and have banged on 165kg/ha of double top, rest will follow when tramlines are visible.

Forecast is for some rain Sat/Sun so aiming to get 30acres in today and rest next week.