Thread: The value of slurry

oil rag

The value of slurry

Hi

A naighbour has offered us his slurry as he has to much. We are all arable and haven't put any organic mater back on the feilds for some time other than chopped straw.

Is it worth it, what value dose it have to the soil? It would have to be put on with a 3000 galon tanker with about a 2 mile round trip. Thinking of the cost of running our tractor and the posable land damage is it worth the effort?

Thanks

Oil rag

BewareoftheBull

Re: The value of slurry

Quote Originally Posted by oil rag View Post
    Hi

A naighbour has offered us his slurry as he has to much. We are all arable and haven't put any organic mater back on the feilds for some time other than chopped straw.

Is it worth it, what value dose it have to the soil? It would have to be put on with a 3000 galon tanker with about a 2 mile round trip. Thinking of the cost of running our tractor and the posable land damage is it worth the effort?

Thanks

Oil rag
    usually the standard going rate for slurry is 10 units of N for every 1000 gallons so do your sums against buying fertiliser.

cozzie

Quote Originally Posted by BewareoftheBull View Post
    usually the standard going rate for slurry is 10 units of N for every 1000 gallons so do your sums against buying fertiliser.
    taking a very loose analysis would be 5kgs N (not all available), 3.5kgs P and 15kgs of K per 1000 gls

defender

pig or cattle slurry ?

Oldmacdonald

See picture attached.

gone up the hill

If its cattle slurry then yes it will defo be worth it,

As for cost, if he needs the acres then get him to spread it/ pay to spread it and you supply the land foc..

The slurry will be a good way of building up organic matter in your soils..

rob fforest

I usually pump around 2000gal/acre of dairy slurry onto stubble then plough in next day or 2. Not with tanker but through pipe to spread bar. Am i doing this correctly? Whats the longest i could wait to plough in?

Rob

oil rag

Thanks for the replies.

Its Cattle slurry. Its worth a look into, just going to have to sit down and do the sums. my big concern is compaction with a tanker, think I will need to put correcting this in the sums? The thought of the organic material is the apple.

Thanks

Oil Rag

defender

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    taking a very loose analysis would be 5kgs N (not all available), 3.5kgs P and 15kgs of K per 1000 gls
    cozzies figures are near enough but that is the available npk value not the total applied so you are still helping build soil fertility , unless the ground is wet a tanker on big wheels wont compact too much if spreading on stubbles and we sometimes go down the tramlines and back the middle on growing crop and you never see it if done in right conditions

cozzie

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    cozzies figures are near enough but that is the available npk value not the total applied so you are still helping build soil fertility , unless the ground is wet a tanker on big wheels wont compact too much if spreading on stubbles and we sometimes go down the tramlines and back the middle on growing crop and you never see it if done in right conditions
    50% of the P would be available in year one with the rest available in year 2
    90% of the K would be available in year one with the rest year 2, Those are only the main nutrients but there is plenty of micros also available. The nutrient will vary depending on the operation whether its a cattle finishing unit or a suckler unit. I have been meaning to test my sh*t this year but we have so much of it, its just a matter of getting as many acres spread as possible. I find the first 2k gallons makes a huge difference to ground that hasnt seen slurry in awhile and after that its the same as diminishing returns in economics if you get the gist of what im saying. My figures are qouted in P and K not in P2o5 and K20 so it will be different. My opinion on the value of slurry is I often haul with the 2250gls tanker on a 8mile round trip and my paper workings back up my taughts. Most other people probably think Im mad transporting that distance. Currently we are trucking in slurry and the round trip in 60miles, thats a different story though