Thread: Compost Question

ih685xl

Compost Question

I'm having around a thousand ton of compost delivered at the moment, apart from being a good soil conditioner what other benefits do you think I will get from it?

Steevo

Re: Compost Question

Nutrients - P & K mainly. Did you not get an analysis to show this before buying?

honest john

A lot of N slow release, a lot of K, a little P. A LOT of Carbon.

Barleycorn

To be glib I think that you would be better off Googling, people have written books on the subject!

Which plant are you getting it from?

TAG Direct

Lot of OM, bit of S, bit of K, next-to-no N

See RB209

ih685xl

Quote Originally Posted by Barleycorn View Post
    To be glib I think that you would be better off Googling, people have written books on the subject!

Which plant are you getting it from?
    Its strawberry compost, about 7 years worth. It was a bit last minute as we have just ploughed some old grass, ready to drill spring barley, do you think it would be ok spreading some on the ploughed ground before power harrowing

10,000 Hectacres

Organic matter & water retention. The latter may come in useful this year !!

Steevo

Quote Originally Posted by ih685xl View Post
    Its strawberry compost, about 7 years worth. It was a bit last minute as we have just ploughed some old grass, ready to drill spring barley, do you think it would be ok spreading some on the ploughed ground before power harrowing
    No reason why not......depends how happy the spreader man is!

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by ih685xl View Post
    Strawberry Compost. Do you mean Peat ?
    I have tested this waste befor and its got naf all in it apart from OM.

Compost from a good opperater has to be made to a standard. And be tested. Results avaible.
    John.

Hornet

N will be available eventually but dont think its there for that years crop or even the next!
    Pile it on as thick as NVZ rules allow you! Good water retention and drainage improver P and K pay for my application costs and purchase price you get the om for free