Thread: Reseeding Grass Water Meadow in E.L.S

CESSNA

Reseeding Grass Water Meadow in E.L.S

My wife and brother in law have 2 grass water meadows total of about 5HA,in the Entry Level Stewardship scheme.I have told them the grass is worn out and they need reseeding,from scratch,the fields are too uneven for slot seeding caused by the tuftyness of the bit of grass left. Do you think they might be able to get a derogation to reseed or should they go ahead and just do it.Anyone had a similar situation.

Badshot

Re: Reseeding Grass Water Meadow in E.L.S

I got a derogation to reseed when leatherjackets had a field of grass in ELS, I think I might have had to get the agronomist to put a statement together saying it needed doing.

I wouldn't just rip it up and do it, it's sods law that they'll pick that time to look at it from satellite.

mbsrhol

Quote Originally Posted by CESSNA View Post
    Do you think they might be able to get a derogation to reseed or should they go ahead and just do it.Anyone had a similar situation.
    Do they understand what they are being paid for in the ELS? If it is an area based option on these fields then very unlikely, as tuffty knackered grassland would be seen as successful conservation.

Exfarmer

can you do strip overseeding with such as a moore drill?
    We did a lot in 76 when we actually lost a lot of grass on water meadows

DHUGILL

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    I got a derogation to reseed when leatherjackets had a field of grass in ELS, I think I might have had to get the agronomist to put a statement together saying it needed doing.

I wouldn't just rip it up and do it, it's sods law that they'll pick that time to look at it from satellite.
    I am doing reseed in HLS by mobstocking with cattle and broadcasting seed and letting cows do the rest think I'm within the law for ideas and inspiration see www.eblex.org/events for upcoming mobgrazing workshops