Thread: General Election, and Brexit.

General Election, and Brexit.

What a turn up for the books!!!
    Please, please get on with the job, and stop uncertainty,
    Jack Caley

Re: General Election, and Brexit.

Labour is buggered, Lib dems might see some labour votes.

Conservatives are going to win with a large majority, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmReviews View Post
    Labour is buggered, Lib dems might see some labour votes.

Conservatives are going to win with a large majority, surely.
    Not so sure!!!

Who could have predicted the voting we have had over the last to or three years.
    Jack Caley

It will be Conservative.......but not as we know it.
    Theresa is steadily invading the centre ground.......removing the very reason for the existence of the Liberal party......carving off the right wing of the Labour Party...
    Isolating the right wing nutters of the Tories.....
    Policies especially those regarding taxation may well not appeal to the traditional Tory voter.

There are a large body of people who only voted conservative at the last two elections on the promise of a repeal of the hunting act. It is pushing it to get them to do so a third time when the promised was not forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    There are a large body of people who only voted conservative at the last two elections on the promise of a repeal of the hunting act. It is pushing it to get them to do so a third time when the promised was not forthcoming.
    I'm not convinced that the hunting lobby have any electoral clout to be honest, particularly when it's proved to be business as usual for most hunts under the new laws anyway. Besides, what are the countryside alliance going to do if they don't get a tory commitment to repeal the hunting act? Vote for Jeremy?

Did anyone hear Eddie Mair attempting to conduct an interview with Dawn Butler- Labour MP, on Radio 4 at 5pm on Thursday of this week ?

Politicians ? I've forked more worthwhile stuff into a muckspreader. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p050mzc6

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Did anyone hear Eddie Mair attempting to conduct an interview with Dawn Butler- Labour MP, on Radio 4 at 5pm on Thursday of this week ?

Politicians ? I've forked more worthwhile stuff into a muckspreader. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p050mzc6
    Sometimes I think Jeremy Corbin is a double agent working for the Tories and doing everything possible, including promoting Dianne Abbot and Dawn Butler, to make labour unelectable.

And unfortunately I was never lucky enough to fork any worthwhile stuff in a muck spreader - or even in a hay loft.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post

Jesus wept. My first thought is how does someone that dim get to be an MP, that was awful, don't the labour party have people to brief their MPs before major interviews?

I do like Eddie Mair as an interviewer, his disarming style is much more effective that Paxman's hectoring. Eddie appears to feel sorry for her at the end and stops pushing her on the questions, it was genuinely painful to listen to.

Frightening to think back to the Labour Party Leadership Election when Jeremy was first elected.....M/s Beckett nominated him solely to make a contest of it, never ever expecting that he would win.
    The terrifying bit is " Never expecting he would win".....
    However....
    In my life I have never until now heard someone interviewed on TV as to their voting intention make this reply "how did you vote in the last election? ......"Labour, I have voted Labour all my life!" ....."how do you intend to vote in the General Election?"....."Conservative! I will never vote Labour whilst Jeremy Corbyn is leader."

In the past people would have been driven from their homes in the Labour heartlands for making such an admission.

I wouldn't write Jezza off completely just yet. He's closer to core labour values than the blairite lot, the problem is more his lack of decisive leadership and charisma. Corbyn has spent his life addressing audiences who knew who he was and understood the minority causes he was speaking about, preaching to the choir, in other words. Now he has to make his point to the wider electorate who don't understand the minutiae of political discourse he falls down, he doesn't put his message across in a way the casual listener can understand.

In his more recent campaign speeches he's done rather better though, if he goes down the populist route and pitches himself against austerity, and for spending more on the NHS and social care etc. As Trump has demonstrated, you don't need to make sense or be able to deliver on your promises, just say any old shit and worry about the details later.

But the Tories haven't exactly covered themsleves in glory these last couple of days either. Hammond saying (in so many words which the media have picked up on) that he doesn't want to be shackled over tax, or VAT. And The PM saying that the Foreign Aid budget isn't going to be altered. There are many people who think that charity should begin at home, and in this case they almost universally mean the NHS.

Of course a Chancellor needs to be able to change revenue streams but he should have chosen different words. The media pick up on all this stuff. It sells newspapers and makes for dynamic television (or so they think)

Often think the media identifies the best outcome for them......and sets about trying to bring it about.
    Biggest story with the longest lifeline??? The obliteration of the Labour Party in this election, Labour reduced to a limping rump.
    Hours of TV debate can then follow will the Milliband return from America?...will Corbyn survive a Leadership Challenge....investigations into the darker recesses of Labour Party internal politics....
    Which result gives the media the greatest opportunities? Another wafer thin majority? Or picking over the entrails of a once mighty political party after the Eighth of June Massacre?