Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 82 of 82

Thread: General Election, and Brexit.

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Arlene Davies the DUP leader looks more like the kind of person we should have doing the so called negotiating re Brexit. She certainly extracted a good deal for the Province!!!
    Contrast her technique with the efforts of "DD" !
    One wag was heard to comment "we all know what DD refers to.........a very large....... errrrr....... errrrrr ......putting it delicately, lady part"

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ulster
    Posts
    866

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Arlene Davies the DUP leader looks more like the kind of person we should have doing the so called negotiating re Brexit. She certainly extracted a good deal for the Province!!!
    Contrast her technique with the efforts of "DD" !
    One wag was heard to comment "we all know what DD refers to.........a very large....... errrrr....... errrrrr ......putting it delicately, lady part"
    Not sure Gee if you mixed her name up with DD as a way of improving her status within the negotiations. She is trying to FOSTER good relations for ALL our community, as all our politicians do!
    Cough, cough, cough!

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Not sure Gee if you mixed her name up with DD as a way of improving her status within the negotiations. She is trying to FOSTER good relations for ALL our community, as all our politicians do!
    Cough, cough, cough!
    Yep
    Still, difficult to say she is not a hard operator!
    One tough cookie!

  4. #64
    Senior Member grassmanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    885

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Fair play to DUP bringing back some cash for the people of NI wether they voted for them or not and showing others that you need to be there to get something done.
    Taking time and getting it in writing is just good business and letting Teresa see can't have it all her own way.
    Even Gerry is struggling to criticize them tonight!!

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    413

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    In the words of Lieutenant Aldo Raine................





    Anyhow, so much for the DUP being a bunch of retarded, homophobic, knuckle-draggers, as portrayed by the liberal media.


    If they are, what does it say about the Tories!!!!!!

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    617

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Arlene Davies the DUP leader looks more like the kind of person we should have doing the so called negotiating re Brexit. She certainly extracted a good deal for the Province!!!
    Contrast her technique with the efforts of "DD" !
    One wag was heard to comment "we all know what DD refers to.........a very large....... errrrr....... errrrrr ......putting it delicately, lady part"
    Of course being an outsider I would not understand NI politics, but I will comment anyway.
    When you see Arlene history ,it is hardly surprising she is a very forthright politician. Maybe we need more like her.
    Actually, I am maybe one of the silent majority here , but I was never at all happy with Cameron's attack on marriage in the same sex marriage legislation. I resent the the criticism she gets on those issues, but we live in changing times.
    I find it almost laughable that she is being held to account on the issue of wood burners. The same thing has happened here, but it has been kept quiet. Wood burners at full pelt in the middle of summer on chicken houses with fans at full revs, just get the payments.
    Most politicians do not live in the real world, have no grasp of human nature, because they are so protected and well paid anyway, they do not know what it is to earn a crust.
    That is why I do not trust any politician to negotiate, because they do not understand the real world, for example the dementia tax, the bedroom tax, etc , etc
    JackCaley.
    PS
    It is years since I had to deal with Irish Cattle dealers, but I still feel a pain in my back pocket!!

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    82

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Of course being an outsider I would not understand NI politics, but I will comment anyway.
    When you see Arlene history ,it is hardly surprising she is a very forthright politician. Maybe we need more like her.
    Actually, I am maybe one of the silent majority here , but I was never at all happy with Cameron's attack on marriage in the same sex marriage legislation. I resent the the criticism she gets on those issues, but we live in changing times.
    I find it almost laughable that she is being held to account on the issue of wood burners. The same thing has happened here, but it has been kept quiet. Wood burners at full pelt in the middle of summer on chicken houses with fans at full revs, just get the payments.
    Most politicians do not live in the real world, have no grasp of human nature, because they are so protected and well paid anyway, they do not know what it is to earn a crust.
    That is why I do not trust any politician to negotiate, because they do not understand the real world, for example the dementia tax, the bedroom tax, etc , etc
    JackCaley.
    PS
    It is years since I had to deal with Irish Cattle dealers, but I still feel a pain in my back pocket!!
    I think you must have been the victim of 'Blarney'!
    On the subject of the RHI, the thing that really galls me is not every recipients' name was published. I know of one, who works in the civil service, abused the system by heating an unused building on his Father' farm, to my mind that needed to be brought out into the open for all to see. I'm sure there were others just as guilty, the big failure here was that no 'cap' was put on the payments for the full 20 years. That was not Arlene's fault alone, absolutely not, more likely faceless civil servants, the kind of people who are nowhere to be seen when everything goes belly up. Of course there is no honour among thieves, and our case over here the minister for agriculture was every bit as guilty of ignorance, stupidity or call it what you will, but she is/ was of a different political persuasion.

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    617

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    I think you must have been the victim of 'Blarney'!
    On the subject of the RHI, the thing that really galls me is not every recipients' name was published. I know of one, who works in the civil service, abused the system by heating an unused building on his Father' farm, to my mind that needed to be brought out into the open for all to see. I'm sure there were others just as guilty, the big failure here was that no 'cap' was put on the payments for the full 20 years. That was not Arlene's fault alone, absolutely not, more likely faceless civil servants, the kind of people who are nowhere to be seen when everything goes belly up. Of course there is no honour among thieves, and our case over here the minister for agriculture was every bit as guilty of ignorance, stupidity or call it what you will, but she is/ was of a different political persuasion.
    Actually I suppose I always was a victim of the blarney of the Irish cattle dealers who sold their cattle beneath the city walls at York, probably 60 years ago!!
    In spite of all that, I do love the Irish, I love the culture, and I love the Quiness, in Ireland, it is crap here!
    Jack Caley

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    413

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    On the subject of the RHI, the thing that really galls me is not every recipients' name was published. I know of one, who works in the civil service, abused the system by heating an unused building on his Father' farm, to my mind that needed to be brought out into the open for all to see. I'm sure there were others just as guilty, the big failure here was that no 'cap' was put on the payments for the full 20 years. That was not Arlene's fault alone, absolutely not, more likely faceless civil servants, the kind of people who are nowhere to be seen when everything goes belly up. Of course there is no honour among thieves, and our case over here the minister for agriculture was every bit as guilty of ignorance, stupidity or call it what you will, but she is/ was of a different political persuasion.
    Pretty fair and accurate assessment.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ulster
    Posts
    866

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Of course being an outsider I would not understand NI politics, but I will comment anyway.
    When you see Arlene history ,it is hardly surprising she is a very forthright politician. Maybe we need more like her.
    Actually, I am maybe one of the silent majority here , but I was never at all happy with Cameron's attack on marriage in the same sex marriage legislation. I resent the the criticism she gets on those issues, but we live in changing times.
    I find it almost laughable that she is being held to account on the issue of wood burners. The same thing has happened here, but it has been kept quiet. Wood burners at full pelt in the middle of summer on chicken houses with fans at full revs, just get the payments.
    Most politicians do not live in the real world, have no grasp of human nature, because they are so protected and well paid anyway, they do not know what it is to earn a crust.
    That is why I do not trust any politician to negotiate, because they do not understand the real world, for example the dementia tax, the bedroom tax, etc , etc
    JackCaley.
    PS
    It is years since I had to deal with Irish Cattle dealers, but I still feel a pain in my back pocket!!
    Jack for a lot of people over here the whole RHI thing was just a smokescreen to take the heat off certain people due to certain circumstances. As has been mentioned by someone else the minister for agriculture for one and the Former Deputy First Minister with his failing health. It, as is the case in lots of situations, seemed to depend on who shouted first and the loudest as to who got the most airtime/column inches. There's fault on both sides, as always, cos we're human but I've said before that if she's not for stepping aside then get on with it and make the best of the situation cos if it's proved during an investigation that Arlene has done anything improper then she has more to lose at that point than she has now. Same goes for anyone else involved.

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    82

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    I think you must have been the victim of 'Blarney'!
    On the subject of the RHI, the thing that really galls me is not every recipients' name was published. I know of one, who works in the civil service, abused the system by heating an unused building on his Father' farm, to my mind that needed to be brought out into the open for all to see. I'm sure there were others just as guilty, the big failure here was that no 'cap' was put on the payments for the full 20 years. That was not Arlene's fault alone, absolutely not, more likely faceless civil servants, the kind of people who are nowhere to be seen when everything goes belly up. Of course there is no honour among thieves, and our case over here the minister for agriculture was every bit as guilty of ignorance, stupidity or call it what you will, but she is/ was of a different political persuasion.
    I remember a long number of years ago, I think it was Ray McSharry the European Commissioner for Agriculture say of his dealings with selling cattle to the Englishman by weight, they fed the cattle with lots of hay and liberal quantities of salt and then gave them water to drink, you can guess they 'weighed' heavy, he said the buyers never raised an eyelid. I often wondered what would have been the outcome if the shoe had been on the other foot. That was not uncommon I suppose amongst dealers, maybe gave rise to the saying ' From Carrickmacross to Crossmaglen you'll meet more rogues than honest men, well if the shoe fits......

  12. #72
    Senior Member b slicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    993

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    When the late John Cherrington was buying Dairy-Shorthorn heifers in Ireland, he asked whether or not they were in-calf.

    ''Sure, and I can guarantee them either way Sir'' replied the vendor.

    PS. John Cherrington was a self made farmer in (I think) Hampshire and was one of the first presenters of 'Farming' on BBC TV.
    His book ''On the Smell of an Oily Rag'' is a classic.

  13. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,298

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Was it the great John Cherrington who opined that sheep have three distinct attributes ?

    1. They walk about with a limp.
    2. They spend a lot of time at the neighbour's place.
    3. They are able to just lie down and die for absolutley no reason whatsoever.

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    767

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Was it the great John Cherrington who opined that sheep have three distinct attributes ?

    1. They walk about with a limp.
    2. They spend a lot of time at the neighbour's place.
    3. They are able to just lie down and die for absolutley no reason whatsoever.
    I've never heard of the said J. Cherrington, but if he said those things he is/was a wise man
    JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

  15. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    82

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Was it the great John Cherrington who opined that sheep have three distinct attributes ?

    1. They walk about with a limp.
    2. They spend a lot of time at the neighbour's place.
    3. They are able to just lie down and die for absolutley no reason whatsoever.
    I remember reading the A-Z of farming, when it got to S it said, S is for sheep, the first sign of illness is sudden death. How true. Ah, John Cherrington, always looked forward to the BBC1 farming programme, told it as it was, not skirting around the obvious as is the way nowadays with 'farming reporters', there are exceptions of course but I don't see them on TV anymore.

  16. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,298

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    I remember reading the A-Z of farming, when it got to S it said, S is for sheep, the first sign of illness is sudden death. How true. Ah, John Cherrington, always looked forward to the BBC1 farming programme, told it as it was, not skirting around the obvious as is the way nowadays with 'farming reporters', there are exceptions of course but I don't see them on TV anymore.
    And when zaza started out in business 50 years ago this year (business motto : Anything for a shilling, twice as much for two) I used to go sheep shearing, hedge laying etc. Invariably I used to get platted up with the "newcomers" who fancied the country life on their 2 acres and who kept a few sheep (organically of course !) that I used to get asked to shear. I always told such customers that sheep keeping was impossible without a rifle and a JCB digger. When I asked why I used to tell them that any sign of trouble and the first thing you do is shoot the thing and then dig a hole and bury it.

    Not allowed to bury them nowadays of course. Not quite true actually. A townie neighbour had a llama that was ready to leave us and after getting clearance from Deathra, because it was a pet, the vet shot it and I dug a hole and buried it.

    The coffin was a funny shape.

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    617

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    It is a funny old world, but there are so many things interconnected with brexit in this country.
    At first sight you would not think that Brexit has anything to do with a fire in a block of flats in London.
    However, the flats were built in the 1970,s, about the same time the population of this country started to explode. The population then was in the low 50 million mark. Now it is probably more than 67 million, who knows?
    Apparently we have 3 million EU citizens in this country, not to mention people from other parts of the world. Many councils have offered accommodation to immigrants.
    OK, so what? They are housed in affordable housing, ( in high property priced London???)
    I am not being racist, but it is sheer practical logistics.
    If they are supposed to after affordable housing on a budget, is it surprising that the council contracts officer bought cheaper insulation cladding, if he thought it satisfied the regulations. Is it surprising there was only one flight of stairs?Why should a single parent mother with 5 children expect to live in supported housing in Cental London?
    Why should young British couples be expected to lay out 25,000 deposits for a house and immigrants come in and take affordable housing for nothing?
    It all comes back to an overcrowded island and the pressures thereof.
    And do not say we need immigrants, please, there is no sprout picking in the middle of London.

    Jack Caley

  18. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    82

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    It is a funny old world, but there are so many things interconnected with brexit in this country.
    At first sight you would not think that Brexit has anything to do with a fire in a block of flats in London.
    However, the flats were built in the 1970,s, about the same time the population of this country started to explode. The population then was in the low 50 million mark. Now it is probably more than 67 million, who knows?
    Apparently we have 3 million EU citizens in this country, not to mention people from other parts of the world. Many councils have offered accommodation to immigrants.
    OK, so what? They are housed in affordable housing, ( in high property priced London???)
    I am not being racist, but it is sheer practical logistics.
    If they are supposed to after affordable housing on a budget, is it surprising that the council contracts officer bought cheaper insulation cladding, if he thought it satisfied the regulations. Is it surprising there was only one flight of stairs?Why should a single parent mother with 5 children expect to live in supported housing in Cental London?
    Why should young British couples be expected to lay out 25,000 deposits for a house and immigrants come in and take affordable housing for nothing?
    It all comes back to an overcrowded island and the pressures thereof.
    And do not say we need immigrants, please, there is no sprout picking in the middle of London.

    Jack Caley
    There must surely be millions in this country feel the same, and who could blame them ? What you say is absolutely correct, but politically correct ? Woe betide the politician who puts forward that view, he would really be sent to Coventry, at least it wouldn't be as bad as Beijing, where we seem to be headed in this politically correct world. Sorry if I offend someone, but , if the shoe fits......................

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    617

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    There must surely be millions in this country feel the same, and who could blame them ? What you say is absolutely correct, but politically correct ? Woe betide the politician who puts forward that view, he would really be sent to Coventry, at least it wouldn't be as bad as Beijing, where we seem to be headed in this politically correct world. Sorry if I offend someone, but , if the shoe fits......................
    Thank you for your comments, you are correct, I would be accused of being racist.
    However I believe, I am not racist, but realist!!
    One can hardly blame the influx of people in to our open borders.
    When they get here they arrive in a stable democracy without too many bullets flying about, a wonderful generous welfare system, and housing way better than they left in their home country, even if the odd one does happen to burn down in this country. Plus, of course, there is plenty of rain here!!

    Jack Caley

  20. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    906

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    [QUOTE=Jack_Caley;282272]It is a funny old world, but there are so many things interconnected with brexit in this country.
    At first sight you would not think that Brexit has anything to do with a fire in a block of flats in London.
    However, the flats were built in the 1970,s, about the same time the population of this country started to explode. The population then was in the low 50 million mark. Now it is probably more than 67 million, who knows?
    Apparently we have 3 million EU citizens in this country, not to mention people from other parts of the world. Many councils have offered accommodation to immigrants.
    OK, so what? They are housed in affordable housing, ( in high property priced London???)
    I am not being racist, but it is sheer practical logistics.
    If they are supposed to after affordable housing on a budget, is it surprising that the council contracts officer bought cheaper insulation cladding, if he thought it satisfied the regulations. Is it surprising there was only one flight of stairs?Why should a single parent mother with 5 children expect to live in supported housing in Cental London?
    Why should young British couples be expected to lay out 25,000 deposits for a house and immigrants come in and take affordable housing for nothing?
    It all comes back to an overcrowded island and the pressures thereof.
    And do not say we need immigrants, please, there is no sprout picking in the middle of London.



    They may not need sprout pickers in central London, but the need lots of cleaners, road sweepers, waitress's, shop workers whatever, minimum pay jobs not paying 6 figure sums as most in Yorkshire seem to think all Londoners pick up.
    A season ticket from outside costs nearly as much as some of these people earn!
    My son lives in the suburbs and houses in his road start at 6M!!!
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  21. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    82

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    It is the same in the US where my Son has a dairy farm and manages a few others, the vast majority of the workers are Mexicans, on one of the farms it is staffed by Anglo Saxons and when one leaves it is not straightforward getting him replaced, with the Mexican workforce, no problem, and they are not illegals.
    I have often thought the problem closer to home is the welfare state and the way it is abused, I think if it was a case of 'work or want' people wouldn't be so hard to please, but at the same time there is no welfare state in the US.
    A friend had a 'getting to know you' as a means of trying to get recruits for his US dairy farm, and one of the potential recruits looked at the work schedule and said 'Gee you guys work on Sundays too!' I doubt if he was hired on the payroll.

  22. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    617

    Re: General Election, and Brexit.

    Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    It is the same in the US where my Son has a dairy farm and manages a few others, the vast majority of the workers are Mexicans, on one of the farms it is staffed by Anglo Saxons and when one leaves it is not straightforward getting him replaced, with the Mexican workforce, no problem, and they are not illegals.
    I have often thought the problem closer to home is the welfare state and the way it is abused, I think if it was a case of 'work or want' people wouldn't be so hard to please, but at the same time there is no welfare state in the US.
    A friend had a 'getting to know you' as a means of trying to get recruits for his US dairy farm, and one of the potential recruits looked at the work schedule and said 'Gee you guys work on Sundays too!' I doubt if he was hired on the payroll.
    I once landed at Bangkok airport, and in the taxi to the centre, for some unknown reason I asked the driver how much unemployment there was in Thailand, he said "none". I asked why and he said "because there is no unemployment pay".
    In a civilised society, we should help the unfortunate, out of work , etc, but the trouble is that benefits are abused.
    I remember sprout picking on a frosty morning with no gloves on! Not much of a choice when you can get benefits.

    Jack Caley

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •