Thread: untreatable Pneumonia

cozzie

untreatable Pneumonia

Running into serious problems with pneumonia this year. Most of the cases are IBR pneumonia even with the cattle vaccinated. We have being unable to successfully treat nearly every animal this winter that has shown signs of being sick and most of these animals were treated from a very early stage when they were only coming down with it. Cheap or dear medicines made absolutely no difference. It seems to just be a slow shut down of the lungs, as the animals are eating away as normal when they start showing signs.

Im thinking that maybe these animals are previous pneumonia cases as either calves of weanlings last winter. All our animals are bought for finishing so their history is unknown. Animals are treated for all parasites as routine, and it is animals that are in the herd for over a month which seems strange to me. Have well over a dozen gone so im not a happy bunny this winter.

davidroberts30

Re: untreatable Pneumonia

is your shed over stocked

i got 1 shed that if theres too many animals in there you can be treating them all winter

cozzie

nope, I often had 30% more animals in these sheds, just completed a new shed with 10 new cattle pens in it so there is no pressure on the animals like there was in the past. Also the diet is constant and we dont get animals with feed related problems

macus3

Cozzie, I had exactly the same problem last winter in Holstein bulls for feeding. Nothing seems to cure it, eventually traced it to pneumonia caused by (excuse spelling) mycoplasma bovus, and I think draxxin is the only drug which covers it. Also I feel that continual use of a house without a proper rest was partly to blame. At the end of the day intensive finishing is a bit like pigs or poultry and their houses are rested after every batch. Was at a meeting one night and a man stood up and said if he kept pigs the way cattle are kept he'd have nothing alive to sell!!

Greysides

I was thinking the same as Macus. I've a feeling animals don't get dull, depressed with Mycoplasma on it's own. I can't see the IBR vaccine not working. Myco requires special isolation techniques i.e. not going to be routinely isolated.

If not done already I reckon that would be worth investigating.

cozzie

Searching for info on Mycoplasma Bovis doesnt make interesting reading as their seems to be very little that can be done to treat it. Macus did you find Draxxin of much use when treating animals that have the onset of the infection or is it best just to forget about the animals which seems to be the best thing to do in my case unfortunatly

macus3

Cozzie, unfortuanatley i was in the same boat as yourself, any cases of pneumonia i had been treating with nuflor and flunaxin, which seemed to clear them up initually, but couple weeks later those same animals were blowing again, tbh changing to draxxin didnt really make any difference as 100% of the animals that were chronic eventually died. The biggest difference i found was washing out and resting the house for 2 months. I know in your situation being a finisher it isnt ideal for cash flow, but it helped me no end. My house is a straw bedded one split into 3 pens each one 30x 75, that was contuially filled with holstein bulls for 3 years.

chipsngravy

Had pneumonia in suckler calves in december, treated with 1 jab of resflor, but then 7 to 10 days on 3 calves had problems with mycoplasma, no energy and off colour, and all had ear infection with one ear dropped. Draxxin sorted them out.
    If I had done them all with a 2nd jab of resflor think it would not have developed, but then you think it would be cheaper to give one jab of draxxin and be done.

Have you tried draxxin and metacam as first treatment cozzie

balerman

Quote Originally Posted by chipsngravy View Post
    Had pneumonia in suckler calves in december, treated with 1 jab of resflor, but then 7 to 10 days on 3 calves had problems with mycoplasma, no energy and off colour, and all had ear infection with one ear dropped. Draxxin sorted them out.
    If I had done them all with a 2nd jab of resflor think it would not have developed, but then you think it would be cheaper to give one jab of draxxin and be done.

Have you tried draxxin and metacam as first treatment cozzie
    We have found adding the anti inflammatory to the main drug makes a massive difference,but resflor contains that anyway,i think.

cozzie

we tried most and came back to what we find most effective when treating pneumonia which is Tylosin, Oxytetracycline and flunixin at 24 hr intervals and at high dose rates. most of the expensive drugs show no response either.

Had a difficult calving today from a heifer that has contracted the infection and aborted. bloody demoralising considering the heifer probably wont live anyway.

Greysides