Thread: Time to stop and stare

GenuineRisk

Time to stop and stare

Coming (hopefully) to the end of another winter, we had one of those glorious spring days here yesterday - sunny and warm and the ladt day of February. Cattle are still housed, we're in the middle of the annual bTB test and tomorrow could see us joining many others shut down with the plague but, in spite of that, it was really good to be outside and able to appreciate some fine weather.

Best part of all was watching the 2012 calves careering round their newly bedded up shed and then out into their loafing area where their mums were enjoying some sun on their backs. Having just reading the calf housing topic, my calves don't realise how lucky they are.......

KMA

Re: Time to stop and stare

Yup its good sometimes to just step back and be thankful for what you've got and think of what you've achieved, not what's still to do.

CGT has been paid, which was a huge black cloud hanging over us, the uncertainty held us back a lot. I now know where we stand financially, so we know we're staying put, which this given us the impetus to really crack on with things. Its a beautiful location even if it does get very worrying when the Nith gets high. The place still needs a hell of lot of work but we're cracking on with what we can and the stuff we can't do ourselves is in hand.

Son's ewes have finished lambing and they're running out through the day, lambs taking the chance to stretch their legs running round in a gang, springing into the air.

Hen houses have been built, just waiting to source some POLs, probably Light Sussex. Gate posts and strainers for most of the fences are in. Workshop is really taking shape to the point where I can get on with making the doors and windows for the various sheds. We know where the lambing shed and handling system are going and what kit we're going for.

When I look back and see how much we've achieved in the 17 months since we moved here, in particular the 6 weeks since the CGT was settled I'm pretty amazed.

Joules

Fingers crossed for the TB testing.

Yes, a glorious day here after a misty start. Went up to look at a field we're cultivating and about 20 lapwing flew off, also heard some 'peewitting' in adjacent field where they always breed, brings a surge to the heart. Our calves also full of the joys of spring, attacking the bales at bedding down, eventually seeking out sunshine patches to lie in on the straw. Cows all out in the collecting yard sunbathing, just sulking as the cow scratcher has been deactivated as some have tailpaint on.They'll be mooing at us to get let out soon....

Youngest ones weaned a few weeks ago started on silage today which means we must be getting near the end of winter .. (but can we just have some more rain please?)

The bad news is I'm now stuck inside working out the fert applications for this season!

hell4leather

rain here , feel free to take some of ours

Penmoel

Yeah we dont need the rain you can have ours as well.

Real spring evening here tonight birds still singing at 6.30pm, early ewes and lambs moved onto fresh grass. I even said it was a nice spring evening.

Son went and spoilt then by saying about in like a lamb......

Still we might have the turbine up for when it goes out like a lion.

Greysides

We've had a few lovely Spring days recently. The kind of days you wish you had the time to yourself to do as you liked.

I often think of this as a very yellow time of year. Lots of yellow in evidence..... furze, jasmine, forsythia, daffodils, primroses, dandelions, witch hazel.....

Mellow yellow.

Joules

Quote Originally Posted by Greysides View Post
    I often think of this as a very yellow time of year. Lots of yellow in evidence..... furze, jasmine, forsythia, daffodils, primroses, dandelions, witch hazel.....

Mellow yellow.
    May is white - kek (cow parsley), pignut in the hay meadows, May blossom in all the hedges and we have a great big horse chestnut which has white candle flowers.

KMA

First Daff of the year has bloomed today and Mr Woodpecker has abandoned the fat balls in the garden and gone back to knocking hell out of the trees across the river

NeilO

I couldn't see b*gger all when I left home this morning, really thick fog.

As the sun was going down, I was stood watching ducks on a lake in mid-Wales.

When I got home to do the feeding, I couldn't see b*gger all again for some reason.

GenuineRisk

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post

When I got home to do the feeding, I couldn't see b*gger all again for some reason.
    Shoulda gone to Specsavers...

llamedos

2 beautiful days in a row here

Woodpeckers in the Ash trees, first lone bumble bee, flock of Goldcrest whizzing about. Bats about in droves at dusk.

and as the OP suggests.....

WHAT is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare?
    No time to stand beneath the boughs,
    And stare as long as sheep and cows:
    No time to see, when woods we pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:
    No time to see, in broad daylight,
    Streams full of stars, like skies at night:
    No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
    And watch her feet, how they can dance: No time to wait till her mouth can
    Enrich that smile her eyes began? A poor life this if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare

Yale

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post

How's the move going Neil?

KMA

Quote Originally Posted by llamedos View Post

Woodpeckers in the Ash trees, first lone bumble bee, flock of Goldcrest whizzing about. Bats about in droves at dusk.

Thanks for putting the full poem up, inspired me to google WH Davies, interesting

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by Yale View Post
    How's the move going Neil?
    Suspiciouly smoothly, so far. I love it when a plan comes together.

part_timer

Quote Originally Posted by llamedos View Post

Yup, love that poem, and how very true its message.

We are very lucky that we have nature's beauty literally on our doorstep, well it was the other morning when the Mrs nearly stood on a frog while leaving the house........thought she was auditioning for 'come dancing'

My 'stop and stare' favourites are:

- Calves running round and bucking, always makes me smile....
    - Lambs...see above
    - Low lying misty mornings when you just know its going to burn off and be a beautifull day
    - Clear, Quiet evenings when you can hear all the noises from the surrounding area clearly...just lean on a gate and gaze somewhere in the middle distance...Christ, they could put me in a bloody 'nature valley' advert.....

GenuineRisk

Another lovely spring day here, made really extra special by going clear on our annual bTB test.

Relief doesn't even begin to describe the feeling !

beeker

we had that lovely clay smell in the air yesterday, of the moisture evaporating out the soil. lovely

lasted about 2 hours, then it rained and put it all back in

Poorbuthappy

Well done GR for going clear. Is it all 1 herd- peds and the dairy?
    2 friends locally gone down this year. :cry:

It has indeed been another beautiful day. Took a few hours off to organise a treasure hunt round the farm for Master PBH's birthday party tomorrow. Enjoyed the farm from a different perspective- a childlike one.

Neil what's your timescale? Do I have to come to Wales if I want another punt at those quality rams this year?!

GenuineRisk

Thanks PBH - no dairy and peds two totally seperate farms/businesses.

Hope the birthday party is fun!