Thread: Ford 40 series fuel gauge

Ford 40 series fuel gauge

Hello everyone!
    I have a 6640 with two fuel tanks (think all of them have 2 tanks)
    The first one is on the front and the second one is under the tractor (by the left wheel). The previous owner managed somehow to block the bottom tank so it's not in use, that's fine by me because I'm using the tractor for forestry and it's better that I only have the front tank. (weight on the front, chance of a branch puncturing the bottom tank etc.) My question is: Is it possible to do something with the wires to correctly show how much fuel is in the tank. Both tanks have their own wires going in. The bottom one is always empty since it's blocked. When I fill up the front one to max I get two bars on the dash (of 12?) when the second bar goes out I have 3/4 left of fuel. Is there a way to make the gauge more precise so I don't have to put a stick in the tank to check for fuel? Like this:
    http://www.hawkins-agri.co.uk/upload.../209_687_e.jpg
    Thanks!

Re: Ford 40 series fuel gauge

Quote Originally Posted by inferior View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I have a 6640 with two fuel tanks (think all of them have 2 tanks)
    The first one is on the front and the second one is under the tractor (by the left wheel). The previous owner managed somehow to block the bottom tank so it's not in use, that's fine by me because I'm using the tractor for forestry and it's better that I only have the front tank. (weight on the front, chance of a branch puncturing the bottom tank etc.) My question is: Is it possible to do something with the wires to correctly show how much fuel is in the tank. Both tanks have their own wires going in. The bottom one is always empty since it's blocked. When I fill up the front one to max I get two bars on the dash (of 12?) when the second bar goes out I have 3/4 left of fuel. Is there a way to make the gauge more precise so I don't have to put a stick in the tank to check for fuel? Like this:
    http://www.hawkins-agri.co.uk/upload.../209_687_e.jpg
    Thanks!
    Try connecting the wires on the bottom sender unit to see if fools the bar graph into working a bit more logically? if that doesn't work then maybe you will have to pull the sender unit out and fix the arm in the full position so it supplies the gauge with the correct voltage? Just guessing really but without tracing the wiring or having a wiring diagram to read thats what I would do
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Thread hi-jack........Fuel gauge on my 7840 beeps at me constantly. One or both fuel senders probably faulty, is the conclusion I've reached after 2 years of amateurish faffing about.. Anyhow, is there anyway to stop the bloody thing beeping ? Not too fused if the gauge doesn't work....if only I could stop the beeping Tried disconnecting various wires......still beeps. TIA.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Quote Originally Posted by timhaven View Post
    Thread hi-jack........Fuel gauge on my 7840 beeps at me constantly. One or both fuel senders probably faulty, is the conclusion I've reached after 2 years of amateurish faffing about.. Anyhow, is there anyway to stop the bloody thing beeping ? Not too fused if the gauge doesn't work....if only I could stop the beeping Tried disconnecting various wires......still beeps. TIA.
    My first thought was to simply short the sender wires to ground but the system monitors for a short so providing your fault is the senders you need to either replace them or replace them with a resistor of the appropriate value as indicated here. If it was me I'd fix the sender in the lower tank, fuel gauges matter more at the empty end of things. Anyway there should be enough info here to sort it out one way or the other. Resistors are very cheap to buy.
    https://ibb.co/fMA5vk

Thanks for that. I'll have another look at it on the next wet day.

fit a resistor equivalent to the sender on bottom tank being in full position on the wires too lower sender ,there must be another way though as some 40 series only had one tank i think (5640 ).