Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Schmallenberg Update

romneymarsh

Re: Schmallenberg Update

For what it's worth from the SE.
    I post anecdotal reports of early lambing flocks around here that experienced deformities in the flock last year having normal lambings this year and scanning results so far for later lambing flocks showing higher % than last year .

socksitis

Romneymarsh, thankyou for the encouraging response. We start ambing end of the month and go on through till May, will be 'interesting'. Had issues with ram fertility - or was it due to SB?

Time will tell

Bluepower

I had 194 Mules scanned on Dec 18th which should be due from 15th Feb onwards. These ewes are flock ages from 4 tooths onwards and all lambed mid March last year. I was not looking forward to the result which scanned as: 138 twins ,24 triplets and 27 singles, 5 empty, 193% . I was mighty relieved as was the scanner but it doesnt really those of you with empty ewes to answer any questions. I just hope the lambs in the ewes are ok as there doesnt seem to be any way of telling until they are born. We are situated right on the coast where maybe the midges struggle. It was blowing a gale and raining most of September.We still have 120 2 tooths to scan next week which went to ram 3 weeks later. There must be a pattern to all this but it does seem that ewes tupped September onwards are showing better results. Incidentally we saw no smb last lambing. not much help but that is my situation.

Marches Farmer

Heard on the grapevine that DEFRA have asked all large animal vets not to take leave during the main 2013 lambing and calving season. Anyone else heard this one?

Marches Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Bluepower View Post
    I just hope the lambs in the ewes are ok as there doesnt seem to be any way of telling until they are born.
    I have heard that some deliver with a lot of fluid and the ewes look enormous because of it. Steeling myself for the worst case scenarios of either all ewes empty or carrying to term and delivering 100% SBV, so anything less will be better. Farming always requires fortitude but 2013 looks likely to need fortitude with a capital F!

sheepmad

Quote Originally Posted by jc View Post
    Has any blood testing been done in Ireland?
    Yes, we submitted bloods for testing and they were all negative. We had lambs without eyes and brain damage as well as limb deformities in our early lambing flock and called in the vet. He was convinced it was SMV. He blooded the mothers of the deformed lambs and a few more of that flock and then some of the later lambers and very surprised when all was negative. What is it ?

Greysides

Border Disease would be worth consideration.

Marches Farmer

Not convinced the SBV test on lambs is accurate. We had a deformed lamb Spring 2012 and took it for testing, a couple of neighbours had more but didn't, but all had a sort of deformity none of us had ever seen before. Ours was said to be negative for SBV but, like I said, I'm not convinced the test is accurate......

Border Disease is mostly "hairy shakers" isn't it?

Greysides

Border Disease is basically Mucosal Disease/BVD in sheep. As well as the Hairy Shakers it can also cause skeletal and nervous abnormalities.

Affected flocks probably are recognized first at lambing time by an increase in the number of barren ewes and in the birth of undersized lambs with excessively hairy and sometimes excessively pigmented fleece. Some lambs exhibit involuntary muscular tremors, particularly of the trunk and hindlegs. The tremors are reduced at rest and exacerbated by purposeful movement. In others, skeletal defects such as dropped pasterns and mandibular brachygnathia may predominate. Affected lambs have a poor survival rate. In survivors, nervous signs gradually disappear within 3-4 mo. Even in the absence of typical hairy-shaker lambs, outbreaks of low fertility in ewes and poor viability and ill-thrift in lambs are becoming associated more often with border disease virus infection.
    It's not an exact match but worth a whirl if SBV has been ruled out.

Tests aren't always able to give a correct answer from just one sample. The agent may not be present any longer or only in certain organs or the sample may be too decomposed, etc. A negative result is more convincing if several samples have been sent. Same with trying to find the cause of an abortion storm, you need to send several samples, only about one third of samples will show up the cause.

Some maternal blood samples would be a nice accompaniment to a lamb corpse.

Filthyfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by Greysides View Post
    Border Disease would be worth consideration.

Taking some bloods to test for borders on Friday along with toxo.

Just had a lousy scanning, 12% barren , 80% of those were either yearling, one or two crop ewes.
    Vast majority of those seemed to have only the first 10 day raddle mark and not returned so have re absorbed.
    My guess is toxo, as up until 3 years ago when their was a bad batch and couldn't be got we vaccinated the yearlings every year......could turn out to be a false saving since then

We synchronised 100 ewes to lamb the last week of Dec , 15 were hand mated each day. At scanning 68 of those were in lamb, the scanner marked some as having lost lambs recently and two that he thought had dead lambs in them.

We have been lambing them for the last 10 days, the first 4 days only 3 or 4 ewes lambed each day and we had 3 sets of twins that had to be lambed and were badly deformed and several other lambs died after a few hours even though we did everything we could to try to keep them alive.

However, since then all the lambs have been fit and healthy and nearly the 15 lambing each day that I was expecting and luckily no more deformed lambs.

It seems that something, I would think Schallemberg, had a big effect for just a few days on the first ewes to be mated. Hopefully, it only had a bad effect then and the rest of the sheep that lamb in Feb will be OK.