Thread: How do I get

NLL

How do I get

my tups in together without any damage,please.
    I have a 2 shear ram ,who has been with other rams in his previous home,and I have 4 shearling rams who have always been together. One of the shearling rams thinks he is the boss as does the 2 shear.At the moment I have put them in the barn with a gate between them.There is a fair amount of running at the gate but they mis-time the actual clash of heads.The 2 shear has a big run up but the shearling just rocks back.I have got a small area where I can put them in ,about10ft by 6 ft, with 5 tups in there may not be room to run up but will they still fight.I have had the 2 shear on his own since he came out of the ewes 3 weeks ago, he started shoving them around, but he hates it.the 4 shearlings were born here and have always been together.
    thanks for reading all this.

Sh3pherdess

Re: How do I get

Put them in a very small pen together and let them out after a day penned tight, in the dark. Or take them for a ride in the trailer (pen them tight).

You want them to be able to shove each other around a bit but not enough room to charge each other.

NLL

thanks for your really quick reply. Do I have to expect some fighting ,however mild, as they are tups.

Sh3pherdess

It depends on the breed as to how serious they will be about it. There will be posturing and shoving but they can't properly fight if you pen them tight so they sort out the heirarchy safely. Also when you let them out they will be hungry so more likely to eat than have a final go.

I haven't ever had a problem with my NCC, texel or beltex tups but Shetland tups would fight to the death and you could hardly ever even think about putting adult tups together as it would end in disaster. They also bullied the polled tups mercilessly even though they didn't retaliate. I don't keep Shetland tups now because of this!!