Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Some more good presentations:

Feldspar

Re: Some more good presentations:

I had missed this until a kind person alerted me to its presence:

http://publications.naturalengland.o...cation/2748107

Haven't read it yet so no idea if it's any good.

ETA: just started to read it and it looks very detailed and balanced. Not quite sure how much novel info there is though.

martian

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    I had missed this until a kind person alerted me to its presence:

http://publications.naturalengland.o...cation/2748107

Haven't read it yet so no idea if it's any good.

ETA: just started to read it and it looks very detailed and balanced. Not quite sure how much novel info there is though.
    It is quite interesting reading. They did a farmer roadshow as part of the fact finding for the report. 75% of attendees were organic. Pleasingly though, BFF gets a mention as a useful forum for no-till practitioners. Also, pretty much all the topics covered on this DD section of the forum are talked about along with the observation that much more research is needed to work out what works and how and why it works, as most farmers aren't prepared to leap in feet first and completely change their system on a whim

eliot2004

Padiras posted it on Agricool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blxe7S41q9s

Willscale

Another interesting one from USA about the nature of Soil Acidity:

http://www.slideshare.net/jbgruver/soil-acidity-6509812

Caveo

Various no-till workshops coming up in the US.. Mandak is in Bismarck ND on Jan 8-10, and the the national notill is in Indianapolis after that. Need any info. from the Mandak workshop let me know.

York

Quote Originally Posted by Caveo View Post
    Various no-till workshops coming up in the US.. Mandak is in Bismarck ND on Jan 8-10, and the the national notill is in Indianapolis after that. Need any info. from the Mandak workshop let me know.
    You are absolutely right. there are in the next month or so a lot of seminars & conferances about No Till in various regions. Know of people which tour them all each year. And sure you will bring back some ideas & good input.
    What I have found so far is, with having quite a number of the South American pioneers around and showing them our conditions is that we can't copy. Even they admitted that we have to find the answers on our own, find a way out of the challenges like they had to find.
    So far I don't know a lot of similar regions which have to cope like many on this forum with very high rainfall, mild winters etc.. Rainfall is not the critical issue but the distribution.
    I see more potential in visiting each other, even within Europe and a open exchange of thoughts which will help to find answers.
    York-Th.
    p.s. after going through this never ending rain it might be good, just to get a clear head, to get away to see that the weather can be different. I though about it after it is mist, rainy, since Christmas over here. very nice temp., like all above 10, so the crops are growing. But how about when Mr. Putin sends his "father frost" for a visit?

Soil+ Cover Cropping International
    In 2012 I realised how little I knew about soil. Farming for 25 years, and writing & publishing Practical Farm Ideas since 1992, and my knowledge was little more than the simplistic story I was given by the reps. The internet told me more in an evening than I had picked up in a life farming.

Having done one article there was a lot more to be written, and after a while I decided the topic needed a special section in each issue of the magazine.

http://www.farmideas.co.uk/cover-cropping.html

gives a good background to the contents of this section, which generally runs to eight pages. I visit farmers - and visited Will Scale two years ago - and try to find out the problems as well as the successes. These issues are no associated with advertisers products, as the magazine is completely free of adverts or sponsors. It endeavours to give a really balanced view. Magazines still have their value. The internet is great if you have plenty of time and know exactly what you are looking for. Conferences can be good, but including the cost and time of travel, are a lot of money. The magazine can be real literally anywhere.
    Bright ideas for successful farming www.farmideas.co.uk