Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 97

Thread: Some more good presentations:

  1. #1
    Willscale
    Guest

    Question Educational Links:

    From the guys in N Dakota:

    http://www.bcscd.com/?id=63


    Can we maybe have a sticky of some good links on the top. There has been some goo data lately (biology of soil compaction ,cover crop articles etc.) that would be worth collating in a links libary - as well as this.

    Quote from Rolf Derpsch "Conservation Tillage is an oxymoron because we cannot conserve soil if we are doing tillage"

  2. #2
    Willscale
    Guest

  3. #3
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Cover Crop Book:

    http://www.sare.org/Learning-Center/...ly-3rd-Edition

    Uni of Kentucky No Till and Compaction reseach:

    http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/agr/agr197/agr197.pdf

    Landscapes Transformed - History of No Till in Canada:

    http://www.kis.usask.ca/ZeroTill/Lan...yofCT_Book.pdf

    Penn State - Transition to No Till Guide:
    http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/uc192.pdf

  4. #4
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Couple more good ones (not sure if anyone reading them!)

  5. #5
    Pedders
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    I am ! and thanks for posting the links

  6. #6
    marco
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    This guys name is covercrop dave, he has about 80 videos at the moment, all about cover crops. You might find something of interest in it.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/covercropdave?feature=watch

  7. #7
    marco
    Guest

    covercrop presention, very good

    [YOUTUBE]zjI2zWf4uMI[/YOUTUBE]

  8. #8
    Glenn49801
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    not sure if anyone reading them!)
    Always watching with interest
    Its always the DD section I am drawn to 1st on bff

  9. #9
    BSH
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Great Links Will thank you.

  10. #10
    155tm
    Guest

    Re: Nuffield reports:

    A few Nuffield Reports for you to read, Twitter made me aware of the first one yesterday, it is written by Steve Laroque he looks at CTF in Austalia and other countries, he runs Beyond Agronomy and is practicing CTF in Canada.
    http://beyondagronomy.com//cmsFiles/...2013e85e7e.pdf

    The second written by Stephen Ball looks at Zero-Till cropping around the world with a view to making it work in Australia.
    http://www.nuffieldinternational.org...Ball_Final.pdf

    And the third has been written by James Peck he has taken a look at Arable farming across the world, he is headed down the CTF route.
    http://www.nuffieldinternational.org...eck_report.pdf

    That lot should keep you reading for the weekend!

  11. #11
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    And my Nuffield one - not that good a report actually as I liked seeing the places but writing it up

    http://www.nuffieldinternational.org...eld_Report.pdf

  12. #12
    155tm
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    And my Nuffield one - not that good a report actually as I liked seeing the places but writing it up

    http://www.nuffieldinternational.org...eld_Report.pdf
    What is on telly tonight? I will read yours whilst trying to ignore The Voice!!! Have you read any of those I had found?

  13. #13
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by 155tm View Post
    What is on telly tonight? I will read yours whilst trying to ignore The Voice!!! Have you read any of those I had found?

    Its not that good a report but its better than the bloody Voice!

    Steve Ball came over here, his blog too - quite a good resource for some things:

    http://www.nuffield2010.blogspot.co.uk/

    Personally I'm not overly inspired by CTF or for that matter a lot of stuff going on in Australia - I just think as a country its got such a different type of soil and climate the twice I've visited I haven't been that inspired by their no till or rotational systems - I'm not saying they're not good at it or doing the right thing of course but just for me and my farm interests the best stuff is not coming out of mainland Oz - that said its a big country and I stand to be corrected but the tough conditions they have don't reflect our conditions.

  14. #14
    shakerator
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    found this, makes good reading.

    http://www.notill.org/LE_Articles/V8N2A4_beck.pdf


    Any idea whether we can get this guy over soon to speak?

  15. #15
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    found this, makes good reading.

    http://www.notill.org/LE_Articles/V8N2A4_beck.pdf


    Any idea whether we can get this guy over soon to speak?
    Yeah could probably get him over - I'm in ocassional contact with him and I'd imagine he'd be willing to come. An intelligent man.

    Would be best to try and do it with conjunction with France and Germany so share costs. Two problems - money and getting people to turn up - didn't manage to even get this years No Till Day off the ground for lack of funds so this would be even more tricky!

    This is quite interesting for those no tilling rape

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuudD...feature=relmfu

  16. #16
    shakerator
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    you did mention a potential trip to France is this also dead in the water?

    after seeing frederik thomas' approach i think theres a lot we could learn. perhaps kill 2 birds with 1 stone re mr beck with those who travel supplementing the cost? my french is pretty rusty however

  17. #17
    Caveo
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    ManDak Conference in 2013
    Why not join us in Bismark North Dakota for our annual zero till conferance, running from Tuesday 8th January to Thursday 10th of January. Will update on various speakers, but lots to see and learn.

  18. #18
    Feldspar
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    I found this very clear and informative. The main topic is the calculation of the N credit produced by various types of cover crop and, based upon that, choice of cover crops in different scenarios and their effect on the yield of the following crop.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wmrk...eature=related

  19. #19
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    another interesting link chaps - his photos are good:

    http://www.engineering4development.co.uk/

  20. #20
    eliot2004
    Guest

  21. #21
    eliot2004
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:


  22. #22
    graham edwards
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    Its not that good a report but its better than the bloody Voice!

    Steve Ball came over here, his blog too - quite a good resource for some things:

    http://www.nuffield2010.blogspot.co.uk/

    Personally I'm not overly inspired by CTF or for that matter a lot of stuff going on in Australia - I just think as a country its got such a different type of soil and climate the twice I've visited I haven't been that inspired by their no till or rotational systems - I'm not saying they're not good at it or doing the right thing of course but just for me and my farm interests the best stuff is not coming out of mainland Oz - that said its a big country and I stand to be corrected but the tough conditions they have don't reflect our conditions.
    If the tractor weighs too much in the first place?

  23. #23
    FarmerDan
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Thank you. This blows my mind.

    Pity UK harvests are later as less opportunities for good cover crop establishment.

  24. #24
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerDan View Post
    Thank you. This blows my mind.

    Pity UK harvests are later as less opportunities for good cover crop establishment.
    I'm not sure about that.

    Amazing stuff though, we've not even started scratching the surface of the potential of it all but as ever change doesn't happen until there's pressure.

    We need to get to France I think. Anyone fancy it? (I know I asked before thinking i could find funding but couldn't find any) but if anyone fancies a "budget" 3/4 day trip self funded I'd try and sort out.

  25. #25
    lordbonville
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    This might be a really dim question but when do you grow the cover crop if growing winter cereals and rape?

  26. #26
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by lordbonville View Post
    This might be a really dim question but when do you grow the cover crop if growing winter cereals and rape?
    You basically change your rotation a bit.

  27. #27
    eliot2004
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    I'm not sure about that.

    Amazing stuff though, we've not even started scratching the surface of the potential of it all but as ever change doesn't happen until there's pressure.

    We need to get to France I think. Anyone fancy it? (I know I asked before thinking i could find funding but couldn't find any) but if anyone fancies a "budget" 3/4 day trip self funded I'd try and sort out.
    Our association is called BASE in France http://www.asso-base.fr/

    And since few days some of you joined us , so let's ask them , you'll be very welcome.

    The email adress don't , this one is better :http://www.soilfirstfarming.co.uk/

  28. #28
    FarmerDan
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    We need to get to France I think. Anyone fancy it? (I know I asked before thinking i could find funding but couldn't find any) but if anyone fancies a "budget" 3/4 day trip self funded I'd try and sort out.
    Definitely interested. When, where and how much will be important, but I think it would be worth it. My french is merde though.

  29. #29
    Pedders
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerDan View Post
    Definitely interested. When, where and how much will be important, but I think it would be worth it. My french is merde though.
    +1

  30. #30
    shakerator
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    I'm not sure about that.

    Amazing stuff though, we've not even started scratching the surface of the potential of it all but as ever change doesn't happen until there's pressure.

    We need to get to France I think. Anyone fancy it? (I know I asked before thinking i could find funding but couldn't find any) but if anyone fancies a "budget" 3/4 day trip self funded I'd try and sort out.
    yes keep me updated pls.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •