Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 97

Thread: Some more good presentations:

  1. #31
    yelrabtaehw
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Another 2 here for France

  2. #32
    York
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    I'm not sure about that.

    Amazing stuff though, we've not even started scratching the surface of the potential of it all but as ever change doesn't happen until there's pressure.

    We need to get to France I think. Anyone fancy it? (I know I asked before thinking i could find funding but couldn't find any) but if anyone fancies a "budget" 3/4 day trip self funded I'd try and sort out.
    Just back from a 2 day trip to western France. One way is just 1300 km driving.
    so what is the problem? Just get into the car and DO it. From Bedford it's app. 700 km away.
    We have done this now the 2nd time in 12 month and will be back in September. good to see the crops & soils several times in the year.
    Speaking French: I have just a little school French left, but it get's better. :-) and many speak sort of English. so if you try to speak French they will help out with English.
    Organisation: Bow, it's rather easy. fill a car and the locals will help you with the rest.
    Food: might be good to have some own catering with you. :-) In September we are bringing our full cattering with us, to pay the French for their help. This time we had only enough "Hops tea" with us. Won't believe it, they drank this in wine glase :-) So much to the topic of "Grande Nation & Culture". A read haired female was the only person which drank full stroke out of the bottle. ;-)
    Sorry, a little off topic.
    York-Th.

  3. #33
    eliot2004
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    It depends of what you want to see but i can help you

  4. #34
    Clive
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    I'm not sure about that.

    Amazing stuff though, we've not even started scratching the surface of the potential of it all but as ever change doesn't happen until there's pressure.

    We need to get to France I think. Anyone fancy it? (I know I asked before thinking i could find funding but couldn't find any) but if anyone fancies a "budget" 3/4 day trip self funded I'd try and sort out.
    Can count me in Will

  5. #35
    doehill
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    I'm not sure about that.

    Amazing stuff though, we've not even started scratching the surface of the potential of it all but as ever change doesn't happen until there's pressure.

    We need to get to France I think. Anyone fancy it? (I know I asked before thinking i could find funding but couldn't find any) but if anyone fancies a "budget" 3/4 day trip self funded I'd try and sort out.

    Count me in what dates are you thinking of.

  6. #36
    Kentish_Andy
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    I would obviously be interested. I think you could struggle to do in one day. People are welcome to meet here as we are not far from ferry

  7. #37
    marco
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    What dates will? could do with some sun(flooded here)

  8. #38
    Tomsewell
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    I would be very interested Will depending on dates.

  9. #39
    York
    Guest

    new thread is now needed, called: Travel to France

    one suggestion is the "NLSD" the
    Festival NLSD : Non Labour et Semis Direct

    When: 19th of September
    Where:
    http://maps.google.de/maps?q=Lyc%C3%...ipedia.de&z=15
    What: http://www.nlsd.fr/ Look the 2011 site up with some nice pictures.
    Programme: http://www.nlsd.fr/images/programme-NLSD-2012.pdf
    Distance:
    From Bedford, UK it's 900+ km
    From Berlin: 1300+ km
    Maybe we should take a flight to Lyon? But with the anticipated cattering we are planning to take with us we will need a car, maybe s. th. larger :-)
    On the way back, the 20th, will be the traditional visit of Frédérics farm, near Chambord.
    Cheers
    York-Th.
    p.s. let's do a competition on the catering, to beet the French ;-)

  10. #40
    Kentish_Andy
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Are you speaking in French, English or German? Would like to come but worried my pigeon French would not be enough and that we might be busy at that time.

  11. #41
    York
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Kentish_Andy View Post
    Are you speaking in French, English or German? Would like to come but worried my pigeon French would not be enough and that we might be busy at that time.
    Andy,
    I would be there even if I wasn't on the speaker list. Have just found out that I was put on it. :-(
    Don't know which language I have to speak in, certainly not French.
    We had last year, and 3 years ago when we where there with a CS row, much fun. Can you imagine presenting a machine without speaking the local language? It was just a enjoyable time.
    For the machinery minded it's a must to go there as you will see almost all available DD units working besides each other. Organisation is very good. Hopefully they will have "gravel" like they had 3 years ago. Interesting to see all the "long leg" units, as back than Strip Till wasn't a topic, in the working order.
    York-Th.

  12. #42
    kpa
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Very tempting, except that not a good time of year for me. Still it's only 500 miles and 8½ hours, including channel crossing.
    Directions in English

  13. #43
    Jim Bullock
    Guest

    Re: new thread is now needed, called: Travel to France

    Quote Originally Posted by York View Post
    one suggestion is the "NLSD" the
    Festival NLSD : Non Labour et Semis Direct

    When: 19th of September
    Where:
    http://maps.google.de/maps?q=Lyc%C3%...ipedia.de&z=15
    What: http://www.nlsd.fr/ Look the 2011 site up with some nice pictures.
    Programme: http://www.nlsd.fr/images/programme-NLSD-2012.pdf
    Distance:
    From Bedford, UK it's 900+ km
    From Berlin: 1300+ km
    Maybe we should take a flight to Lyon? But with the anticipated cattering we are planning to take with us we will need a car, maybe s. th. larger :-)
    On the way back, the 20th, will be the traditional visit of Frédérics farm, near Chambord.
    Cheers
    York-Th.
    p.s. let's do a competition on the catering, to beet the French ;-)
    If you are interested in CA/No-Till it is an event well worth a visit. I was invited to give a paper at the 2010 meeting in Normandy and there must have been well in excess of 1000 farmers and advisors attending, along with every drill manufacturer and associated companies. The day starts at 9.am and finishes at 8pm.. and is conducted in French...my presentation was translated along with those from Brazil and Germany (English to French)..but even if you do not attend the conference part of the event there is loads to see with working demo's and cover-crop plots...
    Think of it as 2 tons of wheat then it is do'able..and if you are a true no-tiller/direct-driller you should have finished planting all your rape and should not be thinking about drilling wheat on September 19th...so you have got the time to go...looking outside we will probably still be combining wheat on Sept 19th in 2012.

  14. #44
    eliot2004
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    and i'm sure you'll be well come at Mr Thomas's farm, maybe also very interesting because you'll talk in small commitee

  15. #45
    BSH
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Elliot2004 are you near the exhibition? Is Frederick Thomas' farm near there? I have booked a flight out to visit for the event and have a day in hand on the 18th because of how the flights work out of Southampton. It would be good to be able to visit Frederic Thomas's farm on that day. Any advice appreciated!

  16. #46
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    been away for a few days so only just seen the stuff about a trip.

    I'll have a word with a few folks and see if we can work something out around mid-late oct for 3 days.

  17. #47
    Clive
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    been away for a few days so only just seen the stuff about a trip.

    I'll have a word with a few folks and see if we can work something out around mid-late oct for 3 days.
    better timing than mid september - I think most might just be busy in september

  18. #48
    yelrabtaehw
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    October would be better for Suffolk people too.Probably!

  19. #49
    eliot2004
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by BSH View Post
    Elliot2004 are you near the exhibition? Is Frederick Thomas' farm near there? I have booked a flight out to visit for the event and have a day in hand on the 18th because of how the flights work out of Southampton. It would be good to be able to visit Frederic Thomas's farm on that day. Any advice appreciated!
    I'm in South Normandie 50 km from Le Mans and the exhibition is 500 km in the south.
    Frederick's farm is 250 km from the NLSD.

    I think he organise a visit on his farm but i don't know if it's the 18th or the 20th.

    I'm on your way back home, and you'll be able to see some strip tilled osr with cover on my farm , you are welcome .

  20. #50
    BSH
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Thank you. I have sent you a PM

  21. #51
    155tm
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    Here's something for you boys to get your teeth into:

    http://www.nuffieldinternational.org...publishing.pdf

    Tom Bradshaw's Nuffield report. He comes on here now and again.

    Actually there's a lot of interesting reports out there at the moment for those into all this:

    http://www.nuffieldinternational.org/reports/report.php

    And for those who have not read them

    The Biological Farmer is a good book as is the Ideal Soil by Micheal Astera which blows away some myths.
    They are some really interesting reads Will, I hope you don't mind, I have qouoted you over to the presentation sticky thread. Should we have a bit of a tidy up and put the France trip in it's own thread, if it is possible? France would be good, but not in September! Personally this year is already a bit busy!

  22. #52
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Hi,

    will set up a french trip thread about mid september with a view to organising for late october

    In the meantime if any of you are fed up with the rain and can't mend anymore gutters, sweep sheds etc. you could do worse than getting some new ideas from Gary Zimmer, Joel Williams and others on youtube.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/farmings...?feature=watch

  23. #53
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    We are probably in the world of ebooks being really easy to read as most people seem to have a kindle/tablet or probably will have within a year so:

    John Bakers's Cross Slot book is now online for free it was once £70

    http://www.fao.org/docrep/012/al298e/al298e00.htm


    Landscapes Transformed - Story of Canadian No Till ideas

    http://www.kis.usask.ca/ZeroTill/index.html

  24. #54
    shakerator
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    We are probably in the world of ebooks being really easy to read as most people seem to have a kindle/tablet or probably will have within a year so:

    John Bakers's Cross Slot book is now online for free it was once £70

    http://www.fao.org/docrep/012/al298e/al298e00.htm


    Landscapes Transformed - Story of Canadian No Till ideas

    http://www.kis.usask.ca/ZeroTill/index.html

    interesting to note that there were initial problems with the authorities over there too:


    Socially, to deviate from
    the established norm created significant personal costs. These costs were still evident in the 1970s and 1980s – witness the resistance that Professor Don Rennie
    faced when he challenged summerfallow’s desirability, as well as the refusal of
    Saskatchewan Agriculture to initially support the Saskatchewan Soil Conservation
    Association. The idea of moisture conservation seemed to be unassailable.

  25. #55
    York
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    We are probably in the world of ebooks being really easy to read as most people seem to have a kindle/tablet or probably will have within a year so:

    John Bakers's Cross Slot book is now online for free it was once £70

    http://www.fao.org/docrep/012/al298e/al298e00.htm
    Landscapes Transformed - Story of Canadian No Till ideas
    http://www.kis.usask.ca/ZeroTill/index.html
    Thanks Will for the link. However did you look at the size of the file of the book?
    I still prefer the printed version.
    Maybe the FAO has run out of books to give away and now shares thee file? It was a open secret where to get the book as give away. ;-)
    York-Th.

  26. #56
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Well I used to prefer books but I'm starting to realise the convenience of reading on a 7" tablet very quickly.

    Instant, easily file-able, smaller etc.

  27. #57
    Feldspar
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    We are probably in the world of ebooks being really easy to read as most people seem to have a kindle/tablet or probably will have within a year so:

    John Bakers's Cross Slot book is now online for free it was once £70

    http://www.fao.org/docrep/012/al298e/al298e00.htm


    Landscapes Transformed - Story of Canadian No Till ideas

    http://www.kis.usask.ca/ZeroTill/index.html
    Thanks very much for these. First one will take a bit of reading! Only read a couple of pages so far and they were valuable so think I will plough through it (not literally).

  28. #58
    Willscale
    Guest

  29. #59
    autopilot
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    I came across this Cranfield soil structure booklet earlier this year. Surprisingly a few hard copies of the booklet were available at the meeting yet very few people picked one up. The pdf version can be found here:

    http://www.landis.org.uk/downloads/d...e_brochure.pdf

    or have a look at other soil download studies at

    http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/sas/nsri/.../download.html

  30. #60
    marco
    Guest

    Re: Some more good presentations:

    http://www.sare.org/Learning-Center/...m_medium=email


    cover crop and no-till management for organic systems


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •