Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some more good presentations:

Willscale

Willscale

Re: Some more good presentations:

To help with the water infiltration questions:

http://www.notill.org/KnowledgeBase/...%20article.pdf

choice quote

"Despite scientific and empirical evidence explaining these processes, many people still think that the soil has to be loosened by tillage to increase water infiltration and reduce runoff."

shakerator

shakerator

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    To help with the water infiltration questions:

http://www.notill.org/KnowledgeBase/...%20article.pdf

choice quote

"Despite scientific and empirical evidence explaining these processes, many people still think that the soil has to be loosened by tillage to increase water infiltration and reduce runoff."
    although dont we till in this country to reduce infiltration?

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    although dont we till in this country to reduce infiltration?
    Not deliberately no?

Another nuffield report for you tis a bit more far out for some:

eliot2004

Smile Re: Some more good presentations:

Thank's

fred

Not deliberately no?

I've just read this report and whilst I agree with some of the problems , where are the conclusions, and follow up ideas , I'm sorry please don't tease with, a brilliant start but no end.

mbsrhol

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    I've just read this report and whilst I agree with some of the problems , where are the conclusions, and follow up ideas , I'm sorry please don't tease with, a brilliant start but no end.
    So I'm not the only one who fails to see the point.

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by mbsrhol View Post
    I think she has chosen to write a more abstract report about how we may form an alternative concept about how and why we farm rather than doing a report with a straight bat about destinations visited.

I liked it but I could be a pretentious tosser....

mbsrhol

This extract is possibly lost in translation

"Concerning water, if the soilís organic matter content goes from 0,5% ŗ 3%4, the soil water
    capacity5is doubled. In other words, if you fullfill a glass of 20 cl of water, you will put only 20
    cl, whereas if you put a sponge in this glass before pouring water, you may increase the
    water content in the glass because the sponge will hold more water thanks to its absorption
    ability. It means that in a same volume of soil, it is possible to hold more water only by
    increasing the organic matter content. "

kpa

No. I've not read every word. My initial impression is nothing new here and Nuffield could have gone to someone more deserving.

fred

I wouldn't say that , but draw some conclusions even if they are we don't know

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by kpa View Post
    No. I've not read every word. My initial impression is nothing new here and Nuffield could have gone to someone more deserving.
    Bit harsh I think. It was written in her second language and she has been direct drilling for 30 years with her Grandpa and if you hear her presentations you will know she's doing lots of inventive things with cover crops and reducing sprays etc.

My analysis is that she has chosen to something a bit different for her report and it has not suited some readers. No big deal, there's others out there and I see a member of this forum is about to do a big Nuffield study on DD so lets hope he keeps us informed.

mbsrhol

I think it is a report that should be compulsory reading for anyone involved in forming or voting on EU farm policy.

Willscale

This extract is possibly lost in translation

"Concerning water, if the soilís organic matter content goes from 0,5% ŗ 3%4, the soil water
    capacity5is doubled. In other words, if you fullfill a glass of 20 cl of water, you will put only 20
    cl, whereas if you put a sponge in this glass before pouring water, you may increase the
    water content in the glass because the sponge will hold more water thanks to its absorption
    ability. It means that in a same volume of soil, it is possible to hold more water only by
    increasing the organic matter content. "

By the way the source material for that quote is probably better explained here:

http://www.notill.org/LE_Articles/V9N2A2_hoorman.pdf

shakerator

By the way the source material for that quote is probably better explained here:

http://www.notill.org/LE_Articles/V9N2A2_hoorman.pdf
    which is worse for worms?

tillage or no till inflicted ponding?

discuss!

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    which is worse for worms?

tillage or no till inflicted ponding?

discuss!
    No till doesn't inflict ponding. The cause of ponding isn't not tilling the soil, its the symptom of other things - compaction, poor water infiltration, wheelings, drainage etc.

shakerator

No till doesn't inflict ponding. The cause of ponding isn't not tilling the soil, its the symptom of other things - compaction, poor water infiltration, wheeling s, drainage etc.
    i understand that, as much as i understand the hamster wheel argument of when to stop tilling.

but this will be year 3 no till and i have taken every possible precaution to minimize structural damage. subsoiled field next door (also yr 3) & will be fine for spring crop, but where we have standing water on unmoved ground i cannot see us being able to plant until may! that could well be receiving compost and just plant some sort of cover over summer- not necessarily because of soil life etc but just to cap losses for that area! dont think i fancy millet or grain maize!

bean stubble are 500% dryer than wheat (i believe) due to crop using more water later in the season, and previous cover crop extraction at depth.

so it comes back to the "danger period" where a crop is ripening and stops extracting water, and yet the rains continue to fill the soil profile. wish id had the balls to broadcast mustard in late july then just lifted the header for the wheat ears 6 weeks later....

Tomsewell

Bit harsh I think. It was written in her second language and she has been direct drilling for 30 years with her Grandpa and if you hear her presentations you will know she's doing lots of inventive things with cover crops and reducing sprays etc.

My analysis is that she has chosen to something a bit different for her report and it has not suited some readers. No big deal, there's others out there and I see a member of this forum is about to do a big Nuffield study on DD so lets hope he keeps us informed.
    Thanks Will

I'll be spending some of my Nuffield money on a big tin hat for all the abuse I get when I write my report in a year or so

I've just been awarded a Nuffield Scholarship on "long term benefits of direct drilling/no-till" sponsored by HGCA.

I may be knocking on some of your doors in the next year asking for help and advice so any thoughts would be much appreciated

fred

Good luck , i look forward to reading it ,

Kentish_Andy

Smile Re: Some more good presentations:

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsewell View Post
    Thanks Will

I'll be spending some of my Nuffield money on a big tin hat for all the abuse I get when I write my report in a year or so

I've just been awarded a Nuffield Scholarship on "long term benefits of direct drilling/no-till" sponsored by HGCA.

I may be knocking on some of your doors in the next year asking for help and advice so any thoughts would be much appreciated
    Shall I send the invoice for the other week to HGCA then Tom? Glad to see they are spending our money on something worthwhile.

Willscale

Good stuff Tom - would be nice if you could blog it if you have the time.

Tomsewell

Good stuff Tom - would be nice if you could blog it if you have the time.
    Hmmm blogging? I resisted Facebook until a week ago but am embracing social media with newfound enthusiasm

Only took me 2 hours to put on a bag of slug pellets with the bike earlier

I'll have to make a visit to south Wales to see how this dd is really done in tricky conditions!

Willscale

Hmmm blogging? I resisted Facebook until a week ago but am embracing social media with newfound enthusiasm

I'll have to make a visit to south Wales to see how this dd is really done in tricky conditions!
    your not allowed to come until its all up!

(And I better not show you this years failed rape! - god knows how you make that stuff happy)

kpa

I didn't realise Facebook was so effective I suppose you have to have internet on the bike

Tomsewell

The wonders of iphones and 3G (or not!!):lolk:
    Hope you're well Keith.

kpa

The wonders of iphones and 3G (or not!!):lolk:
    Hope you're well Keith.
    Yes thanks Tom.

I now have picture in my mind of a 4x4 iphone travelling through the crop targeting individual slugs with its laser gun. Or maybe I'm even more Probably an age thing or I'm not as well as I think I am

martian

Not deliberately no?

Dark at 5 o'clock, just got round to reading this. Very thought provoking, I think she's spot on about the sense of enjoyment that you can get from working with nature, rather than against. I've had more fun playing with no-tillage, cover crops, mob-stocking etc than anything else since I started farming 30 odd years ago. Who went into farming because they liked spraying? Or spreading nitrogen?

Kentish_Andy

Quote Originally Posted by martian View Post
    Dark at 5 o'clock, just got round to reading this. Very thought provoking, I think she's spot on about the sense of enjoyment that you can get from working with nature, rather than against. I've had more fun playing with no-tillage, cover crops, mob-stocking etc than anything else since I started farming 30 odd years ago. Who went into farming because they liked spraying? Or spreading nitrogen?
    I was thinking this the other day. I get much more enjoyment spraying nutrition onto a crop as I am not killing anything!!

fred

Couldn't agree more , this very question led me on to no end of trips and conversations.

The question I actually I asked was on the delivery of the third pallet of t2 chemical ,

"Are we actually farming or are we just chemical application experts, ?"

However, it is very easy to go "hippy" but does it pay, so what I'd do is , learn a lot , take a little ,add it to what you do,