Thread: Mobile layer house

Mobile layer house

Good afternoon,

Just looking for a small bit of advice. Has anyone experience of operating a free range egg enterprise in a mobile poultry house. I am considering investing in a Mcgregor tunnel, and am looking for some information and experiences if any with same.

Thanks,

Mobile layer house

Hi,

Just a quick inquiry, has anyone expierence of using or working with a mobile poultry house? I am considering installing a mcgregor polytunnel. any opinons or thoughts on same?

Thanks

Re: Mobile layer house

Quote Originally Posted by southwest6 View Post
    Hi,

Just a quick inquiry, has anyone expierence of using or working with a mobile poultry house? I am considering installing a mcgregor polytunnel. any opinons or thoughts on same?

Thanks
    E
    afternoon, a neighbour do ours grows about 120 acs of black currants, he uses a mobile chicken house and sheep netting for pest co trol. In the rows of black currants, obviously he has shut in and let them oit, the chickens seem to enjoy it and he dose t get too much grief from predators , he's not too worried about commercial egg production just uses the chickens as a means to an end, it lowers his chemical bill/ usage and keeps the buyers happier,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Good afternoon,

Just looking for a small bit of advice. Has anyone experience of operating a free range egg enterprise in a mobile poultry house. I am considering investing in a Mcgregor tunnel, and am looking for some information and experiences if any with same.

Thanks,
    Used to run a couple of mobile APS houses.... what do you want to know ?

Quote Originally Posted by timhaven View Post
    Used to run a couple of mobile APS houses.... what do you want to know ?
    Hi Tim,

I suppose if you could tell me your thoughts in general? Any issues with storms etc.? Had you any issues with cleaning out the house at the end of the cycle?

After talking to a couple of people with them, the main issue seems to be wind damage, and movement after the cycle??/

Would be great to get your thoughts.

Thanks,

Hi Tim,

I suppose if you could tell me your thoughts in general? Any issues with storms etc.? Had you any issues with cleaning out the house at the end of the cycle?

After talking to a couple of people with them, the main issue seems to be wind damage, and movement after the cycle??/

Would be great to get your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Storms won't be a problem with the stronger APS type houses, although be wary that the scratch areas can blow over when moved away from the main house. The fact that they are stronger ( and heavier ) than Mcgregor types mean they are a devil to move. Ours needed a 9 T forestry winch + pulleys + 3 tractors to anchor. Pull in a straight line, of course, I've heard a tale of one of the smaller houses disintegrating after the bloke set off at high speed, and made an abrupt turn. Cleaning fairly straight forward, just be systematic, with a good pressure washer. Disinfect, and give a good spraying for red mite ( unless you are organic ).