Thread: New farm office - design considerations?

Panzer III

New farm office - design considerations?

Doing some renovation to the farmhouse this year, and looking to move the office to another room which would be more suited to the job.

I'm looking for ideas / inspiration / PICTURES (!) from anyone who has an office that they either like or loath.

The room in question isn't huge at 3.25m x 3.36 finished size (10'8" x 11') and the 2 windows are north, and east facing into trees, so lighting is going to be important.

The room is framed out ready for kingspan insulation and double glazing (it was the old 'meat room' brr!) and radiator, and the sparky has laid in a wire for lots of power points. I've tried some 'home plugs' in the sockets, and the LAN connection and WIFI work fine. It's the best room in the house for mobile reception too, as it turns out.

Swithering over 2nd hand office furniture, or built in work tops with lots of under desk storage.

So, what else should I be thinking about?

Timbo_1975

Re: New farm office - design considerations?

Just one specific thing, pop some data cabling in the walls to anywhere you might think a network printer, fax, phone, 2nd PC might want to live etc. Infact run two lengths between each point.

If you have to, use a home plug to transmit the data but use CAT5 around the office with a small switch.

Also you'll need 2x the mains sockets you'll think you'll need!

Courier

Don't bother with S/H office furniture from a dealer, have a look at what IKEA have to offer or buy some at an auction if you like wasting a few days trying to find what you need.

tim@marford

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer III View Post
    Doing some renovation to the farmhouse this year, and looking to move the office to another room which would be more suited to the job.

I'm looking for ideas / inspiration / PICTURES (!) from anyone who has an office that they either like or loath.

The room in question isn't huge at 3.25m x 3.36 finished size (10'8" x 11') and the 2 windows are north, and east facing into trees, so lighting is going to be important.

The room is framed out ready for kingspan insulation and double glazing (it was the old 'meat room' brr!) and radiator, and the sparky has laid in a wire for lots of power points. I've tried some 'home plugs' in the sockets, and the LAN connection and WIFI work fine. It's the best room in the house for mobile reception too, as it turns out.

Swithering over 2nd hand office furniture, or built in work tops with lots of under desk storage.

So, what else should I be thinking about?
    Bad move not being able to oversee road access points. Delivery drivers are incapable of reading *phone B4 arriving* instructions.

Two drawer filing cabinets will fit under a normal height desk top.

Make sure you have enough desk space left and right of your display/keyboard for *enter and file* jobs.

Get some shelving suitable for A4 lever arch files. Then get some more:you will never have enough!

Aluminium faced insulation may reduce transmission range for a shared radio router.

Make sure you have adequate heating for sedentary work.

Leave space for... Document shredder, combined copier/scanner/printer, pin board, phone charger, etc.

Mayo

Definitely kit the lot out with CAT5, cables and sockets, even if they are stuck to walls, or under carpets rather than in the fabric of the building. Forget wireless. It is never worth the hassle.

joe soapy

local council scans all docs and i think bins the originals, so maybe a good scanner and shredder where post is opened. just wish i had the file manegement skills and courage to do it myself!

J_B

From my experience....

Make it warm and comfortable.

Maybe two desks? One for computing and one for 'face to face' meetings.

Data cable to the middle of the house - do you have kids/laptops/network printer etc

Foil backed plasterboard is a bugger for stopping 'wireless' signals - the cordless phone would work 200 yards away in the milking parlour (line of sight through the window) but not 10 yards away in the house!

Cabling for 'security cameras'

Exfarmer

10 X the number of sockets you think you will
    I have 12 in front of my desk and 4 under and all but one are full
    plus several other around the room for fans heaters shredders etc

a dedicated shelf for charging with more sockets

do not store all files in the office
    only store day to day
    then if you have a sudden inspection you can say files are at
    accountants/solicitors/bank you name it
    but they cant look at it

desk is best in front of blank wall
    you will do 100% more work that way
    finally block access to BFF in the office
    for the same reason

forgot
    big wastepaper bin

Clive

not long since we did ours

lots of Cat 5 data points - we used trunking type skirting board so you can have as many plugs as you want where ever you want them

nice big window - nothing worse than working in a dark hole

Aircon is nice as is decent heating - you can get a systems that heat / cool without spending a fortune

plenty of space - we have 3 working in our office and there would easy space for another - we also have a large meeting table so we can sit with consultants and reps away from the clutter you get on your desk

nice coffee machine also important !!

lamplighter2

Quote Originally Posted by J_B View Post
    From my experience....

Make it warm and comfortable.

Maybe two desks? One for computing and one for 'face to face' meetings.

Data cable to the middle of the house - do you have kids/laptops/network printer etc

Foil backed plasterboard is a bugger for stopping 'wireless' signals - the cordless phone would work 200 yards away in the milking parlour (line of sight through the window) but not 10 yards away in the house!

Cabling for 'security cameras'
    +1 re foil back wireless hates it. forget wirless printers pain in bum, keep to cable do it right you can run pc printer and anything else with a small home network just have sockets on wall to plug into. as others get plenty of cat 5 around so you can plug in good down lighting so you are not having to strain reading or typing and a nice desk light. if its north facing get the walls lined and have a radiator get cold at desk. do not buy one of the pc desks i am working on one hate it. had a pedestal desk like in the bank managers office had draws both side including a filing draw. pc went under desk to one side and had plenty of desk space for keyboard and mouse just moved away for paper work

Joules

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo_1975 View Post
    +1

hoff135

I would upgrade to dual monitors on your computer if you haven't already done so, once you use a computer with 2 or more monitors you will never go back to a single one! 3 is even better!

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by hoff135 View Post
    I would upgrade to dual monitors on your computer if you haven't already done so, once you use a computer with 2 or more monitors you will never go back to a single one! 3 is even better!
    No just get a wide enough monitor
    I have 40" one for sale
    You will never go back

Panzer III

Thanks all.
    Sparky was back today to lay the LAN cable in before the plaster board goes up.
    Bad move not being able to oversee road access points.
    Very good point, in the the old office I could hear vehicles driving into the yard and see cars slowing on the road. The new one is so well insulated that I doubt I could hear a jet flying over. Now investigating IP cameras to keep an eye on the yard. Looking to dig in a new power supply from the yard (turbines!) so will drop in some heavy duty Cat 5 in the same trench (should test its shielding).
    Wire ready for 8 doubles at equal spacing along the walls. Might look at adding some more in the corners.
    finally block access to BFF in the office
    Are you trying to tell me something...
    iMac w/ 27" monitor. Nuff said.

One thing that gets my goat with the old office is that it gets used as a dumping ground for farm house flotsam, so bought a lock with a keypad today. Should also stop the kids nicking all the paper out of the printer