Thread: Ground source heat from a well?

petec

Ground source heat from a well?

We have two wells (covered in) outside our back door, I have often wondered if it would be a source of heat nowadays. Any experience anybody?

farfrae

Re: Ground source heat from a well?

Quote Originally Posted by petec View Post
    We have two wells (covered in) outside our back door, I have often wondered if it would be a source of heat nowadays. Any experience anybody?
    It may be; probably depends on depth. Do a search for 'open loop' heat pumps for more info. You will probably need a good consultant to do a feasibility study rather than someone 'plucking figures out of the air'.

marshbarn

I thought these got there heat from deep down until i watched a grand design program and it explained that it is solar heat warming the top soil that these heat pumps exploit , so do not use a well.
    The coils of water pipe need to be over a large surface area about 24 inches down

cowcalf

from what I have read it is beneficial to have a small movement of water passing through the soil carrying heat from outwith the pipes to them. They say it works well in a pond a foot or so below surface. Google it and there is stacks of info. but I would try and visit some one with a similar set up to what you are planning to get some tips, not a salesperson

Exfarmer

There are different sources of heat for ground source heat pumps
    deep water stays at a constant temperature so if you have a reasonable source of water you can pull it up and then discharge it to another well

This can be done very efficently as once the loop is started the system needs very little energy to keep a flow of water running, due to the natural effect of hot water rising and cool sinking

if you have two wells you will need to be sure that you have a high enough flow rate to run your system which can only be done by test pumping it.
    second you willl need to ensure that the flow between the wells if they are close is not going to result in the water coming back to the heat pump too quickly before the water can re attain the natural back ground heat

The OP who said that ground source uses the suns energy is right in cases of closed loop systems placed underground although it is not just suns energy they use as they also pick up the natural heat emanating from the core of the earth