Thread: Trantor and light tractors

Willscale

Trantor and light tractors

Was having a chat with Graham Edward's the inventor of the Trantor this morning.

He brought up some interesting angles worth considering.

A typical tractor of his design using deliberately lightweight components would be about half the weight of a 130hp equivalent (his design is about 128hp).

We clearly don't need such heavy tractors in No Till but we do need decent traction. When you get into longer term direct drilling do our equipment needs change?

Its something I hadn't though about an awful lot but with the price of the kit going up so much you do start to think about how much of this stuff on tractors you may not need. But equally if you tractor has to do every job - baling, spraying, muck spread then maybe not.

Am I going anywhere with this argument? :lolk:

s.chiles

Re: Trantor and light tractors

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post

No, forget it.
    A lightweight trantor is never going to pull my 4m 750a up some of our steep banks drilling beans, yet my JD 6810 with full weight on ( 8 tonnes total) does. It would run out of grip before running out of power.

JD_Kid

seen it here comparing USA and eurro tractors the eurros built lighter suited for 3pl and PTO work yanky stuff in the past drawbar

on the flat used to tow DD with 5130 case dry some weights on front hill work 7210 dry full set of front weights duels DF extra weights water all round and duels

be better pulling 6-9 meters and doing CT than 3 meters on mid weight tractor

other thing is light weight sounds good untill yer on hills you still need X weight per Hp to stick to hills and pull suppriseing the 3140 JD and 3350 JD if you devide weight with water and front weights by Hp that amount is not far off a good pulling set up for most work

peasantman

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    Was having a chat with Graham Edward's the inventor of the Trantor this morning.

He brought up some interesting angles worth considering.

A typical tractor of his design using deliberately lightweight components would be about half the weight of a 130hp equivalent (his design is about 128hp).

We clearly don't need such heavy tractors in No Till but we do need decent traction. When you get into longer term direct drilling do our equipment needs change?

Its something I hadn't though about an awful lot but with the price of the kit going up so much you do start to think about how much of this stuff on tractors you may not need. But equally if you tractor has to do every job - baling, spraying, muck spread then maybe not.

I think you are. I have always thought it loony that by and large, the design of most tractors is still basically a "horse with wheels".

Spreading fertiliser the other day, I constantly railed at the absurdity of hanging 2 tonne over the back, and a massive counterweight over the front just to keep the thing balanced. The weight would be far better carried in the middle of the chassis, where presently the driver sits.

Now that I don't do much ploughing I keep thinking about a Unimog or a Fastrac but that's as far as I have got. Or maybe a high speed rubber tracklayer. Dunno.

Willscale

Yes I think there's something in the argument but not sure quite what.

The thing is the conventional tractor is both jack of all trades and master of all trades because everything has been designed around it. But its not cheap is it?

But equally you don't really want a system where you've got your main tractor in the shed whilst drilling with something else.

boyo

I can see you in a trantor Will.:kiss:

marco

If it's the price that worries, buy a secondhand one with big tyres.

If it's compaction thats a problem get one on wide tyres.

pudding

where is harry ferguson when you need him

750a needs the drawbar cut off, 3pt hitch points added, hyd caster wheels added to the back of the drill, maybe hooked in series with the hitch, or manually lifted

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by boyo View Post
    I can see you in a trantor Will.:kiss:
    I remember that story about you being caught hanging out the back end of a Tranny but its not suitable for a family forum. :lolk:

essexpete

Would lightweight components include the drive train?

FarmerDan

http://www.controlledtrafficfarming....dexGantry.html

My favorite bit is when they put the combine harvester attachment on.

Barleycorn

I think that crawlers are underestimated when it comes to putting the maximum power into traction.

In the sixties the big estates all had crawlers, and although they were only 40 to 60 HP they pulled massive disks and ploughs.

I have not had any experience with rubber tracked crawlers, they seem to have enormous engines, perhaps it would be interesting to build a say 100 HP rubber track crawler and compare it to a wheeled tractor?

Massey ( through Landini I think) used to make some pretty little crawlers, of about 75 HP which used to happily pull 4 metre drills etc.

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerDan View Post
    http://www.controlledtrafficfarming....dexGantry.html

My favorite bit is when they put the combine harvester attachment on.
    The Gantry is still a lovely idea really. Does anyone know if that farmer, Mr. Barbour, is still using one in the UK?

KILDARE

Quote Originally Posted by peasantman View Post
    I think you are. I have always thought it loony that by and large, the design of most tractors is still basically a "horse with wheels".

Spreading fertiliser the other day, I constantly railed at the absurdity of hanging 2 tonne over the back, and a massive counterweight over the front just to keep the thing balanced. The weight would be far better carried in the middle of the chassis, where presently the driver sits.

Now that I don't do much ploughing I keep thinking about a Unimog or a Fastrac but that's as far as I have got. Or maybe a high speed rubber tracklayer. Dunno.
    Why not buy a dolly to put your fert spreader on, A 70 hp tractor would do the job then.

martian

On a No-till farm I'd have thought there's a lot of room for a lightweight high speed tractor. When we are not actually drilling, we are carting stuff about in trailers or bowsers (crops, straw, compost, FYM etc) using a lumbering great tractor that could go ploughing (but never will). I'm very interested to see what Graham comes up with with his new Trantor.

Having just come back from a fascinating Cover Crop day organised by CTF, I am more than ever aware that we are just on the cusp of a farming revolution. Nothing that we do is sacred! Question everything! Vive La France! (ok, maybe that's going a bit far...)

nixorganix

Place I worked in N NSW has got rid of the big artic 4WD's and now use MFWD Prob half/two thirds the power to pull wider kit on precision farming, direct drilling system.

Mayo

All that money spent buggering about in CTF should be spent on a grunty JD tracked tractor and a combine on tracks if you can afford it. Nice wide footwear for the sprayer, too.

Yanks have the best idea, wide equipment designed for output and very low hp/acre total.

Still so many arable farms running the standard tyre options, agree that most modern machines run out of grip before power.

Do they do an 8m 750A? What sort of punch would be needed to pull it?

JD_Kid

artic will out pull a MFWD also keep going longer if it's a bad season

place i worked on in WA could recall years they could not get crops in with 2wd and even MFWD were getting stuck only artics kept going .. that was in areas winter crops only if you missed the boat that was it for the year