Thread: Type of concrete for farm drive

Right-arm fast

Type of concrete for farm drive

We are about rip up and re-lay part of the farm drive. What type of concrete is best for the drive it amounts to about 60m3. It will have all farm traffic and artics. Would you put mesh in or fibres. All opinions welcome.

cheers

RAF

solo

Re: Type of concrete for farm drive

3 years ago resurfaced turning area outside grain store using mesh and 35N concrete 8"thick. Seems to be good so far

Right-arm fast

Cheers Lee, Looks like PAV 2 then.

Right-arm fast

Quote Originally Posted by solo View Post
    3 years ago resurfaced turning area outside grain store using mesh and 35N concrete 8"thick. Seems to be good so far
    Solo where did you buy your concrete from - did you put any mesh or anything in it?

Cheers

graybo

We recently did a fair chunk of our yard with PAV 2 plus fibres.

robbie c

for the sake of a few quid go the extra and use 40n with 25mm stone, 7 to 8' deep, dont bother with fibres use A393mesh if you want a lifetime job, and off course make sure you've a good base of hardcore, dig out soft and wet spots etc... fibres just stop drying out cracks, a few of the bigger concrete plants around here dont even bother doing them anymore,

solo

Concrete was supplied by ready mix and used with mesh. A393 mesh sounds about it as Robbie C said. However i'm not so sure about his 7 to 8' deep though.
    :lolk:

Derky

We only use mesh in sheds these days and if a customer insists on it. For example a wash down area or somewhere that needs power floating, as fibres will distort the finish.
    For outside yard areas I would use pav 2 with fibres at 8 inchs, with a very good sub base. Compacted railway ballast is king but tricky to source at times, otherwise a 75 to 40 compacted works well.

robbie c

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    With today's concrete mixes you do not need Mesh. It's more expensive than a proper mix and not easily handled because getting it to sink to the middle of the depth is not easy nor accurate.

lay the mesh 1st, sit it on plactic 3' chairs, or the wagon wheel type as some people call them... steel mesh is the best in the long term, have you ever worked a rock breaker on concrete, no mesh or steel it breaks very very easy, add steel and you'll know all about it...

Right-arm fast

Quote Originally Posted by robbie c View Post
    lay the mesh 1st, sit it on plactic 3' chairs, or the wagon wheel type as some people call them... steel mesh is the best in the long term, have you ever worked a rock breaker on concrete, no mesh or steel it breaks very very easy, add steel and you'll know all about it...
    It would seem to me though, and you must correct me, the mesh doesnt stop the concrete cracking it holds it together though if it does ? The trick must be to stop it cracking ? ie stronger concrete, or lay it at 8"

Exfarmer

whatever thickness or mesh etc if the sub base is not good it will not last
    I would arguer that you should be able to get away with 6 inches with a very good base, but not for turning areas
    if concrete cracks with mesh in it the steel will soon rust out

robbie c

Quote Originally Posted by Right-arm fast View Post
    It would seem to me though, and you must correct me, the mesh doesnt stop the concrete cracking it holds it together though if it does ? The trick must be to stop it cracking ? ie stronger concrete, or lay it at 8"
    expansion joints, consaw out every 4m or so, cut about 2'deep or use plastic expansiom boards cut in half with a stanley knife,use a lenght of timber to give u a straight line and use a saw motion to work in in. bit of work that way, consaw next day is the easiest, as a few said abot the dept, if u work out an extra cost 1.5' to 2' of concrete over the distance, there wount be much in it as against the cost of putting extra stone under it, digger hire labour and time, i dont know the full situation so i cant fully comment, i do quite a bit of concrete work from footpaths to shuttering tanks and pits etc, i take pride in my work and it has payed off, always kept tipping along at it, :lolk:

JJT

We're just on concreting a lane, 400m long, 3m wide, 150mm thick, good hard base. Am going to cut expansion joints, how often should they be cut and how deep? Do they need to be right through or just part way? And should we fill the joints in with pitch or suck like?

cheers joe.

Andrew Kerr

Cut every 6 to 8m no deeper than half concrete depth.Never seen anyone fill them with anything!