Thread: What will a horn-draulic loader on a Dexta lift

10acresofchaos

What will a horn-draulic loader on a Dexta lift

Hi All,
    I am picking up a 1959 Fordson Dexta tomorrow with a horn-draulic loader. The box section type (not the curvy tube type) it has a 'trip' type bucket not hydraulic tip.
    Where I want to put the Dexta is behind a pile of stuff that needs moving. The Dexta is the obvious thing to move this pile of stuff so I am wondering what it should be capable of lifting?
    I am guessing about 500kg?
    I will post some pictures tomorrow as I don't have it yet.
    Rob

eric_t

Re: What will a horn-draulic loader on a Dexta lift

My opinion, for what its worth...

Loaders are hideous things, they ruin a good tractor, but they save a lot of mauling for people who cant afford or justify a JCB or dedicated loader...

Dont ask what should the loader lift, ask what the tractor will stand.

1) Counterbalance, the more weight you put on the front, the more unstable the the tractor will become, you will need come counterbalance to keep the backend down (and safe) and to give the front axle a easier life

2) Front Axle, all the weight you lift is reacted through the front axle, back in the day these loaders were intended to lift a shovelful of soil, or a forkful of FYM, not 600kg bags of fert, the front axle and steering will take a battering if its doing this day in day out.

DaveJ

Newer tractor but that loader started life on a Super Dexta. That bag is 500kg, but was at the limit of what was safe. Water ballasted back tyres btw.

10acresofchaos

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post

Newer tractor but that loader started life on a Super Dexta. That bag is 500kg, but was at the limit of what was safe. Water ballasted back tyres btw.

Thanks for the replies.
    Yup I can't afford or justify a loader and will just be using it to shift a few things about, put my landrover engine back in etc.

I forgot to mention the Dexta has rear wheel weights on it but not very heavy ones.

One of the biggest things I need to move is a landrover rear tub, roof and back door which is being used as a sort of shed. It probably weight about 500kg with the stuff inside it. I will play it by ear a bit and see what things look like when I try to lift it. I have the option of emptying it but that is another thing to do.

My main fear was for the front axle or bellhousing.
    It sound like I should play it by ear and not get carried away trying to get it to lift too much.

Rob

Tha Ulsterscot

Something heavy on the link arms, will give better balance than wheel weights. Ideally put as much on as the arms will lift.

Courier

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ulsterscot View Post
    Something heavy on the link arms, will give better balance than wheel weights. Ideally put as much on as the arms will lift.
    And then lock the arms up with a bar or chain and add another 25%

It will transform the steering effort and wear.

Cowabunga

It will be very dangerous to use such a loader to make precise lifts of heavy loads like an engine to a confined space. The reason is that they are controlled by the draft control quadrant lever and, unlike a spool valve, there is no positive neutral/stop position to the lever. The control is imprecise and the loader could be prone to sudden and unpredictable movement.

You have been warned.

DaveJ

Ours had a tap plumbed into the line for that reason. When it was fitted to the Super Dexta there was actually a separate control valve independent of the quadrant lever. I've used a similar setup on a neighbour's 2000 some years ago.

brynseiri

1958 Mf 35 4cyl, and a Martin Markham loader will lift 600 kg bags ok, with a counter weight of 150kg concrete hanging off the back. I have lifted no problem a ransomes MG crawler on to a transit flat bed before now too. Wouldn't reccomend doing it often though.

F8340

We have a Renault D35 with a square box horndraulic frontloader.
    It will not lift the 500kg weightblock from the agrotron.

It was the only loader available untill 3 months ago , untill we splashed out for a kramer.
    it is old but in mint condition and only paid 3500pound for it.

We used to put a 500kg weightblock on the back of the renault, but steering it was a pig , and the axle broke every year , every time in a different place.
    We also tryed mounting a extra hydraulic pump on it for more lift capacity but all to no avail.

If you got lots of laoding to do , the best to do in our experience is forget older frontloaders and buy a nice secondhand loader.

happy hillbily

Should lift 500 kg depending how healthy the tractor is, but I think the best thing for you to do is NOT to put any ballast on the rear of the dexta, the thinking behind this, is that you wont be able to abuse the tractor as much, the tractor and loader were designed in the late 50s, and used for what they were designed for will be no problem ie small bucket/fork etc, but start swinging 600 kg bags of fert, full silage grabs etc and you will asking for trouble!

brynseiri

I forgot to mention, I always used to point uphill when loading fert with the 35, and just lift, not move too much.

Tha Ulsterscot

Even the TE20 liiterature, recomended the use of a concrete counter weight But dont try to make it do the work of a JCB

10acresofchaos

Hi All,
    Thank you for the replies.
    I drove it back on Wednesday. I was not sure of what condition the oil was in and the temperature guage does not work or there is no thermostat fitted. It took it steady and did the 20 mile trip in 2hrs 15mins

On Thursday I used it to move the landrover body full of stuff. I took the bucket off the loader to take off a bit of weight and it had no problem lifting that. The steering was very heavy as to be expected. The lifting control was surprisingly precise. I could lower the landrover body down onto blocks of wood, leave it hanging there while I fiddled about with thin bits of wood and then gently lower it. The clutch is quite the opposite to precise. That is somewhat binary, either driving or not and difficult to slip which caused the biggest issue with the landrover body swinging about.

There is an issue with the hydraulics where the lever goes past the end of the quadrant so I will investigate that soon.

Rob