Thread: ferguson tea advice

john8210

ferguson tea advice

hi, ive got an old tea fergy that an old fella down the road has had me look at. its been a long time since i had much to do with these and then very little with petrol ones. the original problem was that after a period of standing the old girl would not start. we got petrol dribbling from carb put on jump leads and away she went, i thought great and left him with it. after about a week he used it again and it started fine then died, now it wont run at all. we have spark to the points and plugs etc, wouldnt say it was mega though?? plugs do look wet but dont fire. took of carb and stripped down to find gasket around edge was shrunk in. could this be the problem or just gonna make it leak? all jets seem clear. any set up advice would be good, also anyone no what point gap should be? thanks john

john8210

Re: ferguson tea advice

bump! someone must no something??

agrimax

If the spark is a bit weak,I would try a different coil.Old mini or metro will do(assuming its 12v?).If the plugs are wet it must be getting fuel so the problem is more so in ignition.Could also be the condensor.Again something of a 70s-early 80s car should do to try.
    Points gap is .015'' and plug gap should be .030''.

JohnBoy

Tha Ulsterscot

At first glance thought you were having a new type of "tea",

tom horner

PM'd John!

EngineMan

I know you say you have spark at the plugs but have you fitted a new condenser (capacity 0.2 microfarad) they were always going on the T20's if fine then check the HT lead the middle one at the distributor cap they go AWALL..! so try a new one..!, and look for any sign's of hair line cracks in the cap.
    Contact breaker gap is .010"-.012" .25-.30mm and you can always try other ignition coil.

Longpod

Just a thought but how old is the petrol in tank?

EngineMan

Attachment 32852

Attachment 32853

Attachment 32857

This one I did two years ago

john8210

ive got her going now, fitted refurb kit to carb , new condensor, new rotor arm, new plugs and points . all set up by the book and now runs like a clock. starts so well it will go on half turn of starting handle. old man is well happy with it.

EngineMan

Well done..just needed a little TLC I do love the little gray fergu's.

Orcadian

werent these just 6 volt?