Thread: DAILY CASH COST OF KEEPING STORE CATTLE

Question DAILY CASH COST OF KEEPING STORE CATTLE

Trying to work out what the daily cash cost of keeping a 7 month calf to 9 months would be
    Kept at grass is considerable cheaper than overwintered on silage.... would actual cash cost be as much as 50p day
    Not interested in charging everything I can think of - cost of buildings nor additional rent.... or should I?

Re: DAILY CASH COST OF KEEPING STORE CATTLE

What does your grass cost you? Mine cost me about 75 an acre per year which is the cost of seed and sowing divided by 3 years and the cost of annual fert. I can graze just over 2 stirks to the acre so the cost would be about 35 head for the summer grazing. However they get a bit of feeding when they first go out and again for about a month before they come in so that's extra. If it is a dry summer and the grass burns up i need to feed silage to them while as grass and again that costs.
    When the cattle are inside and on good silage barley and protein to grow at over 1kg/day it costs about 1/day in feed if you were feeding hay, brock potatoes veg or are happy to just keep them alive you could do it a lot cheaper.
    I don't add in a cost for the straw i use as i recon the value of the dung should cover that. As we get more mechanised though machinery depreciation is becoming more important.
    If you don't charge for water, time and ware and tare on your shed ect where is the money coming from to pay for these things?

Re: DAILY CASH COST OF KEEPING STORE CATTLE

Number of years ago now an Auctioneer gave me this quote.....1 a day in the winter....1 a week in the summer.
    As I said a number of years ago!