Thread: Welcome rain

Welcome rain

Yesterday we had a considerable amount of rain. It had been very dry and crops were beginning to suffer.Today is lovely sunny day and the crops already seem to be on their way.
    This morning I heard the weather forecast. The weatherman made me think as to what an urban based society we live in and what little appreciation of the countryside an urban society has.
    The weathermans words that it was better weather today. Was it better or just different?
    How can you have green fields without rain?
    Where does food come from?
    No wonder there is little understanding of farmers and agriculture.

Jack Caley

Re: Welcome rain

Further up the coast we could have used a lot more (didn't get much compared with the Hull area),it's damped the dust here and what little we got will help.

Suburbia doesn't understand or care - they will when the fields are covered in even more 'little boxes'.

Food comes from the supermarket

I have been seeing the same thing on this side of the pond - the divide in knowledge and understanding of the life style between "city folk" and "country folk" - it seems like "country folk" can understand "city folk" a lot better than the other way around.

19mm here this month - average is about 50mm and not much forecast - though increasing heat could soon produce thundery spells.
    189mm for the year about 100mm down on the norm at this point.
    I'm surprised how green things look so far, but dig a hole for any reason and it's scarily dry at depth.
    Rain has been generally been notably below normal since at least this time last year - here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    - it seems like "country folk" can understand "city folk" a lot better than the other way around.
    I think country folk can watch what goes on it the big smoke on the TV but doesn't seem to happen the other way round.
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Not sure if the old adage is correct but I have never seen the ash trees come out in leaf so late in comparison to the oaks as I have this year.

Ash before the oak, sure to be a soak.
    Oak before the ash, only be a splash.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Not sure if the old adage is correct but I have never seen the ash trees come out in leaf so late in comparison to the oaks as I have this year.

Ash before the oak, sure to be a soak.
    Oak before the ash, only be a splash.
    Lots of Ash trees round here not out fully yet either.
    Then we also have cash for ash over here too........but that's a different sort of ash.

It can stop now, 75mm the past couple of days.
    That's about average for whole month, but I see they think second half looks settled and improving after tomorrow.