Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Plants can warn neighbours of attacks

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    777

    Plants can warn neighbours of attacks

    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0516153935.htm

    Plants use chemicals to warn other plants nearby of injury.

    Something to contemplate when going around the field mowing in ever diminishing circles.

    See also the sidebar story on crickets (the chirping kind, not the sledging kind). Growing them for protein is more efficient than growing chickens!

    Who'da thunk it


    jV
    Last edited by john maddock; 19-05-17 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ulster
    Posts
    867

    Re: Plants can warn neighbours of attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0516153935.htm

    Plants use chemicals to warn other plants nearby of injury.

    Something to contemplate when going around the field mowing in ever diminishing circles.

    See also the sidebar story on crickets (the chirping kind, not the sledging kind). Growing them for protein is more efficient than growing chickens!

    Who'da thunk it


    jV
    JV, you have too much time on your hands! 😉

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    777

    Re: Plants can warn neighbours of attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    JV, you have too much time on your hands! 😉
    Ah, I wish, Ulscots! I wish!

    Actually, all I did was skim quickly thru the summary, then copied the link. It was posted on a weeds forum by a retired scientist whose work I respect. He's the one with the time on his hands to peruse the literature.

    JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ulster
    Posts
    867

    Re: Plants can warn neighbours of attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Ah, I wish, Ulscots! I wish!

    Actually, all I did was skim quickly thru the summary, then copied the link. It was posted on a weeds forum by a retired scientist whose work I respect. He's the one with the time on his hands to peruse the literature.

    JV
    Classic case of passing the buck?????!!!!!!
    Lol 😁

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    777

    Re: Plants can warn neighbours of attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Classic case of passing the buck?????!!!!!!
    Lol 😁
    You speak the truth. I cannot deny it.This is not fake news - but it's a beautiful thing, such a beautiful thing.

    JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ulster
    Posts
    867

    Re: Plants can warn neighbours of attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    You speak the truth. I cannot deny it.This is not fake news - but it's a beautiful thing, such a beautiful thing.

    JV
    I think HRH Prince Charlie will be extremely jealous.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •