Thread: Diesel vehicle conversion info/advice?

Runaway

Diesel vehicle conversion info/advice?

Trying to find ways of saving some money on the farm and looking at our vehicle situation.

Got a Rodeo 3l and it's costing in the region of 90 a week to fuel. Looking at conversion possibilities for it. Anyone got any experience / advice they would like to share?

Other alternative is to get a small van which has better mpg and leave the Rodeo parked until we have a towing job to do.

All thoughts welcome. Thanks

(hope this is in the right section!)

Exfarmer

Re: Diesel vehicle conversion info/advice?

what are you looking to run it on?

often driving through towns today I am struck how many vehicles appear to be running on anything but diesel
    most smelll like chippies
    but they tell me people are running on mixes of anything including old oil
    I cant believe it is llegal but C&E never seem to pick them up

to busy chasing after tractors at their local showground

Runaway

Finding mixed messages on internet about LPG conversion capabilities. Local companies say can't do but internet suggests otherwise!

See you can use biodiesel (oil) but need to put a kit on for that too and can't find anyone who does them or where to buy bulk amounts of 'fuel'!!

Condi

You can use 2000 litres of biofuel without telling HMRC.

Its getting the stuff now thats the problem, food chains and larger independent business' all sell theirs, or give it away to big companies who can sort out the paperwork for disposal of commercial waste. You might find a smaller place which will give you their used stuff for free, but expect other people to have already asked.

Used stuff at the very least wants well filtering before it can go near an engine. In hot weather you can use it either straight or in a mix with diesel, in cold weather its best used mixed. Only used in pre common rail engines though, and then you have to be careful about the type of fuel pump on it as well.

Convert it to biodiesel is the next thing, it requires a plant and some time. You need to buy chemicals, do the conversion and then clean it up afterwards. Then it can be used in any pre common rail engine, and I believe it can also go in alot, or all, common rails as well, but you would need to look that up - its been a while since I was interested in it.

Exfarmer

LPG I a problem
    It can be done but you will still need some diesel in the mix

scots_knight

I have an LPG car and find it ok, always thought it needs to be a petrol to convert to dual fuel, it starts on petrol then runs on LPG.

Can a diesel be converted also

or do you mean the bio diesel conversion.

MickMoor

We ran an older Sprinter on filtered used cooking oil, up to about 80% in summer, less in winter.
    Didn't try much on our newer Sprinter, different injector pump, but started making biodiesel. Not very complicated, but laborious. If you go down that route, get the biggest processor you can, the labour input will be the same per batch. Our old 40 litre processor is for sale since we changed workshops. It allows you to practice and learn, but I honestly think it doesn't produce a big enough batch for the effort.

Courier

Quote Originally Posted by MickMoor View Post
    We ran an older Sprinter on filtered used cooking oil, up to about 80% in summer, less in winter.
    Didn't try much on our newer Sprinter, different injector pump, but started making biodiesel. Not very complicated, but laborious. If you go down that route, get the biggest processor you can, the labour input will be the same per batch. Our old 40 litre processor is for sale since we changed workshops. It allows you to practice and learn, but I honestly think it doesn't produce a big enough batch for the effort.
    We used an 150 gallon Desco bulk milk tank as a processor having heated up the filtered waste oil using an ex-dairy heat exchanger and a steam cleaner. Methanol & Potasium Hydroxide mixed in a 45 gallon drum rolled about on the floor until no more rattling sound and then transferred out and into the processor using low pressure compressed air and a dip tube. Next let the glycerol settle out then get rid of the methanol by bubbling the converted biodiesel with air for a few days before polishing with resin . Could convert 3 x 500 litre batches a day.

It all worked swimmingly until the duty rebate was revoked

No point any more

The guy collecting the oil now sends it to a peak only electicity generator who uses the filtered SVO in a massive static diesel engined GenSet to feed the grid at times of surge.

MickMoor

[QUOTE=Courier;872209]We used an 150 gallon Desco bulk milk tank as a processor having heated up the filtered waste oil using an ex-dairy heat exchanger and a steam cleaner. Methanol & Potasium Hydroxide mixed in a 45 gallon drum rolled about on the floor until no more rattling sound and then transferred out and into the processor using low pressure compressed air and a dip tube. Next let the glycerol settle out then get rid of the methanol by bubbling the converted biodiesel with air for a few days before polishing with resin . Could convert 3 x 500 litre batches a day.

I like the simplicity of your method! We titrated every batch of oil and measured the reagents exactly; laborious, but little waste.

Ad

Are you using the rodeo for jobbing about the farm at all? If so you could reclass an old 4x4 for limited use and run it on red?

Courier

Quote Originally Posted by MickMoor View Post
    We titrated every batch of oil and measured the reagents exactly; laborious, but little waste.
    Agreed, it wouldn't work without the finer detail. If you can't read newsprint through a jam jar full of the stuff then it isn't good enough

But unless you have analysis results for every batch it will not be treated as biodiesel for the duty rebate, such as it is. :cry:

eric_t

Perhaps a second vehicle, either an older van, or old 4x4 that you could reclass and run on red Diesel?

If your spending 90 a week, I would guess a cheap 2nd vehicel would pay for itself fairly soon?!