Thread: Re-sheeting concrete stanchion style sheds?

Willscale

Re-sheeting concrete stanchion style sheds?

Have many of you re-sheeted crendon style sheds?

Just wondering how big a job it might be what with the awkward-ness of the hook bolts compared to wooden purlins.

Worth the bother or let it die?

DM

Re: Re-sheeting concrete stanchion style sheds?

Not done it but would think box profile sheeting fixed with masonry tek screws would be the easiest way of doing a tidy job on one.

Agri Design

Have you been up to have a good close look at the purlins.

Quite often if the sheeting is needing replaced the purlins will to, well certainly a good number of them. The end bays are often in the worst condition and the ones at the gutters. The lip the hook catches can also be an area to fail. Depending on the purlin depth you may be able to slide new timber ones in.
    Then you just have to decide how long you need the shed for.

David

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by Agri Design View Post
    Have you been up to have a good close look at the purlins.

Quite often if the sheeting is needing replaced the purlins will to, well certainly a good number of them. The end bays are often in the worst condition and the ones at the gutters. The lip the hook catches can also be an area to fail. Depending on the purlin depth you may be able to slide new timber ones in.
    Then you just have to decide how long you need the shed for.

David
    From what I can see the purlins are pretty good. Sheets drip a bit in the rain so getting porous - possibly I should do more about the moss on them first..

AndrewG

There is a bit in Practical farm ideas where a guy has used a steel banding machine to fix wooden purlins to the existing concrete ones, then tec screwed tin on.

I have a shed here sounds the same as yours Willscale when I get round to it I'll be replaceing the concrete purlins with timber as a good few of them are breaking up. Shed has been up 50 or 60 years so I'm hoping it'll do the same again if I do the job right.

Derky

Its worthwhile getting in a cage and making sure the purlins are good, the rafters have no blows and check the posts around the bases that they are not starting to blow.
    Apart from that they are easier enough to do using new hook bolts.