Thread: Shearling ewe - Mucky back end

Shearling ewe - Mucky back end

I have a feeling I know the answer to this but I thought I'd try and draw upon everyone's experience.

I have pedigree Hampshire Down's and over the years have been fairly ruthless when it comes to culling animals with mucky back ends etc.

However, I have a shearling ewe which has been mucky since she was a lamb but sods law she's an excellent animal otherwise.

I have wormed her in line with my other animals, maybe more so but it's dawned on me I've just stuck to one wormer (oramec). I'll try her with a sweep of the three wormer types but in advance of that I wonder whether it is likely to be worms or just the way she is?

I'll chat to the vet about a faecal sample too for extra info I guess.

In a nutshell. How far do I go before culling her?

Re: Shearling ewe - Mucky back end

No cost in just talking to your vet , can't see a change of wormer from ORAMEC making a difference , you could pay for FEC including fluke and rumen fluke , personally from your description I would just cull and cut my loses

Quote Originally Posted by cheviot 53 View Post
    No cost in just talking to your vet , can't see a change of wormer from ORAMEC making a difference , you could pay for FEC including fluke and rumen fluke , personally from your description I would just cull and cut my loses
    Thank you for your response. I have a feeling it'll go that way. Will chat to the vet this week.

I need to gen up on FEC and worming so this is a good opportunity.

I have ivermectin resistant worms on my land, I would FEC first and find out if something like this is to blame before culling a good beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    I have ivermectin resistant worms on my land, I would FEC first and find out if something like this is to blame before culling a good beast.
    Will do. Thank you.

Not sure about Hampshire Down sheep but I've started copper bolusing Suffolk ewes and it's really dried up the dirty assed ones without any extra worm dosing. Continental breeds are susceptible to copper poisoning so can't use them on texels or charrolais.