Thread: Unfair postage charges NI

Unfair postage charges NI

Any of the Northern Ireland members getting a bit fed up with unfair postage charges to northern Ireland. I've recently been charged nearly 20 postage for a cardboard box of tags.
    We're still part of the United Kingdom and it doesn't cost any more for me to post an item to Strabane or Stratford yet big English companies think it's ok to hammer us on postage.

Re: Unfair postage charges NI

Yes.......A complete rip off.Have very often added parts or filters to well known online supplier's shopping baskets only to delete the lot because of the postage rates. Same with ebay a lot of the time......

The northern lot get it too. My friend in Aberdeenshire has extra postage to pay but the mother in law who lives 220yds away does not, All because of a postcode change.

To be fair, it's not quite that simple.

Some courier companies do charge disproportionately highly for certain out lying regions of the UK for whatever reasons, so it falls with the selling business to either negotiate a decent rate for carriage to those areas (sometimes at the expense of a better rate elsewhere), use a courier with a decent charge for out lying areas, or be prepared to use different couriers for different regions, if they value the business from those regions sufficiently to go to a bit extra trouble to accommodate it.

However that does mean that those companies with an "all of UK" carriage charge have generally made an effort to create that situation, whereas those with extra charges to the likes of Northern Ireland plainly aren't that worried about getting our business so it's probably justification enough for passing them by on that basis anyhow.

something I have noticed on this side of the pond is some companies call it a "shipping and handling" charge - charge you for the labour to package the item, packing materials, etc.

Almost makes you wonder if they really want your business - or maybe it is their business model "sell items cheap on line and make their profit on the shipping"?

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

I've had plenty of experience of the silly charges, the reality is if most sellers can be bothered to check there are plenty of couriers doing a fixed price delivery to the whole of the uk albeit a little slower which is fair enough. On many occasions when I challenged a postage quote they were able to match or even beat the standard service when they looked into it. I think the best place recently was "MY HERMES" As well as whinging about the bad service lets praise the good service_ for example Flowfit online free delivery to anywhere in Europe _beat that!

https://www.myhermes.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    I've had plenty of experience of the silly charges, the reality is if most sellers can be bothered to check there are plenty of couriers doing a fixed price delivery to the whole of the uk albeit a little slower which is fair enough. On many occasions when I challenged a postage quote they were able to match or even beat the standard service when they looked into it. I think the best place recently was "MY HERMES" As well as whinging about the bad service lets praise the good service_ for example Flowfit online free delivery to anywhere in Europe _beat that!

https://www.myhermes.co.uk/
    Myhermes although they sound like a medical complaint provide a great value service. I recently bought a car part from an online autoparts store that offered free mainland delivery but didn't deliver to NI. Grrrr!!
    As I needed the part and it was a good deal I told him I'd get it collected. Put his postcode and mine into myhermes paid and job done no hassle.

Tell the retailer you are intend to inform the Consumer Council re discriminatory practice:

http://www.consumercouncil.org.uk/fi...ples_FINAL.png

ETC

Recently ordered a machine from North of England, and when talking to them about it and enquiring about delivery it was going to be 150+vat (eg 180), so I left it a week and called again and talking to someone else in same business the delivery charge had dropped to 115+vat (138 including vat). Every little helps. Having said that I have also seen it from the other side and had to take a lorry, 40ft fridge Trailer on a round trip of 250 miles for 1/4 of a load! Costs same for full as 1/4 full.