Thread: 10000 Tractor recommendations

10000 Tractor recommendations

Please excuse my lack of knowledge but I am thinking of buying my first tractor. It will be used for various duties on my small 7 acre holding. Predominantly running a flail as I have a lot of rushey ground but in time hedge trimming, post knocker etc. Won't be a lot of hours and reliability is number one priority as I am no mechanic. Would appreciate any guidance.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: 10000 Tractor recommendations

Have you got any main agents near you (tho probably not so critical with low hours and internet). Is there a local independent ex main agent fitter? I think generally the advice would be to stick to the popular brands. All will have their weaknesses so find out those in advance and buy the cleanest and straightest machine you can find. Some may also suggest you budget for a few niggles straight away. Are you on steep land that would benefit from 4wd? Be aware that tyres represent a big chunk of an older tractor. Do you need a loader?

With only 7 acres, I'd look round for a nice 2wd tractor. Shunned by most folks these days, but in reality capable of most jobs on a smallholding. Nice 2wd Ford 7740 (3000 hrs) at a local dealer to me ( Gwili Jones ) for about 11,750. Over budget, I know, but it will last a lifetime.

Thank you all, some great advice. My land is fairly level but wet in one field which I hope to sort out. My neighbour cuts this one for me when we have had a good dry spell. 2 wheel drive sounds interesting if it saves money. I don't think I need latest technology. I wouldn't mind a loader but the flail is the main requirement. I'm in south west Wales so might try and take a look at that one.
    Really appreciate your help

ME series Kubota would do your job well. Very simple, very reliable, very handy tractors to use about the place, and you'll usually get lower hours and newer for same money as NH, Case, etc.

Conversely, much fewer of them to choose from so you'll have to look harder, but well worth the effort.

What size of flail have you? They're generally quite HP hungry so will probably determine the size of tractor you require.

I don't have a flail or any implements yet, had looked at towed flails but after seeing the price of one's capable of my rough ground I'm thinking a tractor would be more versatile?